Customer Service 866.965.0400
Sign in to follow this  
RayS

Getting a 20+ Year Old Mustang Challenge

Question

I have never shied away from a challenge and while I'm passionate about Mustangs, I do have an overall requirement that they have to be Red.  I have been presented with a Mustang Challenge with a Fall 1997 (98 model year) convertible that I am pretty sure the only washing has been when it rained.  It has lived its life outside in the South Carolina sun since it was purchased.

The worst area is the hood, the first picture shows the entire hood and the second is more of a close up of the hood.  The rest of the car isn't terrible, but wow - Mustang Abuse without a doubt.  I know there are some stone chips, which I'm not overly worried about, what I don't know is what the real condition of the paint is.  Maybe there is enough dirt covering it, that it isn't as bad as it looks, I just don't know yet.  I have plenty of experience with Red vehicles, so at least I know what Red is supposed to look like - this isn't it...

My plan of attack is to wash it, properly, which will probably be a 6 or 8 bucket wash with this much crud on it.   Given that it has not been taken care of for over 20 years, should I start with a regular shampoo wash, Strip wash or Diluted APC wash?  It will be about two weeks before the car is in my driveway to start working on and I have access to it to take additional pictures if anyone has any they would like to see that might help with the some guidance. 

Much appreciate any and all feedback.

Mustang Hood.jpeg

Mustang Hood Closeup.jpeg

7 hours ago, falcaineer said:

Reminder set! Do you have any pics of the whole car to share as before shots?

I need to get more pictures of the car as it is today, here are a couple that were taken in October 2001.  

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

2 hours ago, RayS said:

I need to get more pictures of the car as it is today, here are a couple that were taken in October 2001.  

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Well, 17 years ago certainly qualifies for "before" shots ??. But we all hope you can get her back to close to that. 

Update:  The paint shop called and has an opening, so the Mustang goes in on Monday.  We should have it back by the end of the week since there is no body work needed.  This is about a month behind were we planned to have it done, but no worries there.   The big question will be whether or not to use ceramic coating once the paint has cured.

We got the Mustang back from the paint shop and now it gets to spend a week in the garage and wait for 45 days before it gets reinspected and then we can get it sealed up.   While I'm waiting, I'll get the headlights replaced, wheels and tires done, plus a few other items.  

Mustang Repaint 2.jpeg

Mustang Repaint.jpeg