Customer Service 866.965.0400

Under-Hood Insulator Cleaning

tmevilsizor

Question

I am having an issue with *gently* cleaning the Under-Hood Insulator (attached to bottom side of hood). I have tried a few different spray on solutions, but to no avail. I know how easy it is to ruin this area, so I want to avoid using any scrubbing or agitation.

I'm assuming that it is still road salt from the winter that is causing the white staining. I have heard stories of guys removing the liner and painting it black with high-temp spray paint. I DON'T want to do this. I performed an engine cleaning and it looks amazing except for the under-hood insulator fabric.

Are there any tricks of the trade you guys/gals have come up with to remove this residue WITHOUT any scrubbing?

FYI. I've tried the carpet and upholstery cleaner and APC at different times but no effect.

5 answers to this question

1 hour ago, mc2hill said:

I have used a foaming tire cleaner with decent results.  Maybe a foaming carpet cleaner would work too.

Do you apply directly onto the insulator or do you spray the foam into a microfiber and rub in? Any foaming tire cleaner should work?

Foaming Tire Cleaner or Foaming Tire Shine?

Edited by tmevilsizor

1 hour ago, ZMAN024 said:

Once you get it clean, I would suggest applying the new (yet-to-be-released) Fabric Protector top help repel the salt stains in the future. 

Yes!! I saw the teaser! I'm not sure how well the FP would stick though if I used a foaming tire cleaner/shine as a base layer.

20 hours ago, mc2hill said:

I have used a foaming tire cleaner with decent results.  Maybe a foaming carpet cleaner would work too.

18 hours ago, tmevilsizor said:

Do you apply directly onto the insulator or do you spray the foam into a microfiber and rub in? Any foaming tire cleaner should work?

Foaming Tire Cleaner or Foaming Tire Shine?

I spray on the insulator and let the foaming action lift the 'stuff' out of the liner.  Then wipe lightly with a towel (probably a terry towel or very used microfiber).