Customer Service 866.965.0400

Fix with Buttery wax?

BlackScat392

Question

I noticed this just after bringing the car home from the dealer? I’m waiting on my car wash kit to come from Adams so I ran it through the touchless with no luck. Do you think it will come off with buttery wax? I got that bc I don’t have a problem waxing once a month. I enjoy. It. 

Either way, I don’t know what it is. It kind of looks like dried soap but I figured the wash would have taken care of it. 

2ED97804-246C-45A2-B01E-A12E8B65189D.jpeg

9F2BE983-C2EA-46B0-9660-1CC9A7BC2C6D.jpeg

18 answers to this question

Essentially, it's damage to the clear coat by whatever was on there. Bird droppings left too long on paint are a common cause. If that's what it is, it won't be fixed by polishing and may require wetsanding, if you want to go that far. Recommend you try both clay and Revive (order both) if the wash doesn't fix it. We can all circle back after those have been tried.

This looks like bird bomb etching to me, but hopefully it is not.  This is a new car, correct?  If so I would return to the Dealer asap and have them note this for future claims.  They may have a skilled detailer available to correct it, or it may even require a respray of that panel.

1 hour ago, falcaineer said:

Might be etching, possibly bird dropping residue or damage it caused. Who knows. But wax doesn't remove contaminants and the like. Revive Hand Polish would be ideal to try, as well as clay. If neither of those work, do you have a polisher you could take to it? 

^^^ as @falcaineer said,  give the Revive Hand Polish a try.  It should remove the residue or marking.

I would say talk to the dealer before you attack it much further. Let it get noted, and if they want to photograph it then they can. Depending on the stealership you bought it from they might as @mc2hill said have a very skilled detailer that can handle it. If they dont ask what they can do for you to fix it. Nothing will cover it up and hide it other than paint so as long as they dont spray they cant slither their way out of the question. 

As for the etching, yeah bird bombs can and will do it, but I personally have not seen them do it in a couple days, others may vary. I would use that type of thought when talking to the dealer. Not that it should have to be said, but lately it seems it always needs to be....Go in as a gentleman be polite, be pleasant, be nice....in the words of Dalton "Be nice until its time not to be nice" and when something happens "Take it outside". Now taking it outside can also be interpreted to be take it into an office with a door. I would bet if the salesman cant help you, one of the managers with those offices would be happy to talk to you and you can work something out. Yeah dealers are all in it for the money but a bad recommendation from a customer....that can start a trend they dont want and cant stop. 

On 8/10/2018 at 2:12 PM, BlackScat392 said:

I’m going to try the polish first and see how that works. If not, I’ll take it to the dealer and show them. Can I try polish without a clay? If not, is it ok to just clay that area then polish and wax or should I do the whole hood?

Just realized this went unanswered. Yes, you can try polish without the clay for that spot. But the clay might help remove something that's there, if it's not etching. If you're gonna polish, may as well do the whole hood so there's not a difference in appearance. If that's the case, I would say yes, clay it all.

1 hour ago, BlackScat392 said:

So a few good washes didn't work for this thing. I suppose it's time to order some clay and polish. All I'm going to need is the clay bar and revive polish? Do I need to get LPS as well?

I personally consider LPS optional as it comes down to the longevity factor, effort going into the vehicle, not to mention the condition of the paint itself.  I currently have LPS on two vehicles that have been corrected and with one vehicle I have BG under LPS and the other has LPS as the first layer. They both came out great and after a month+ still look fantastic, the only thing I don't know yet is which will last longer.  The longevity is part of the experimentation factor with the BG, so I have to bide my time and wait to find out.

Based on the results that I have seen for LPS, I plan on using for any of the vehicles that I do a correction on, since it is easy to work with.  I would probably be more inclined to do them all, corrected or not, if I lived up north, just before winter, where you have road chemicals or reduced opportunities to wash and wax. 

I'm still concerned it's etching and nothing besides wetsanding/repaint will fully fix it. Have you gone to the dealer? @pirahnah3gives some great advice above.

If you decide to keep trying on your own, even if they don't work, the products we recommend and/or you get will only come in handy down the road anyway. All of them can be used over and over. But you might be chasing your tail on this particular issue. 

That said, don't forget DS to use as a lubricant for the clay. You can also use diluted RW (64:1). It's possible and almost certain the rest of your car, even if new, needs to be clayed. To check, do the baggie test: first, run your bare hand over the paint in a few areas around the car. Now, place your hand in a plastic zip loc bag, and gently run your hand over the same areas. Feel those bumps? Those are embedded contaminants picked up along the way, including rail dust, etc. Removing them will make your paint super smooth, but clay can cause some marring. If you don't have a polisher, that may be harder to fix. What all do you have?

IMO, yes, get PS and apply it to your car. PS (or wax or coating) adds a sacrificial, protective layer over your clear and paint that's not there now. Using it will help with these sorts of things, but bird droppings and the like should still be removed as soon as you can. Youll want either grey microfiber applicator pads or grey foam pads, if you have a polisher. Read this for more on product differences.

Revive is worth a shot, but again, I'm not highly optimistic since it does look like etching to me. If you get it, get the blue hex grip applicator, too. 

Something else I just thought of...do you have BG? The solvents in it settle to the top and might be useful to try on this. Plus, BG fully mixed will add a lot of pop to the paint and can be used inside the windshield to remove the haze common to interior glass. You'll want some microfiber applicator pads, too, if you get it.