Customer Service 866.965.0400

How do I remmove Ceramic Wax?

hdrdtd

Question

Just the other day, I proceeded to strip wash my 2013 Black ZL1, then I used the Paint Correcting Polish, and the Paint Finishing Polish.

I didn't have any paint sealant on hand at  the time, so I proceeded to try my new supply of the Ceramic Wax.

I now have the liquid paint sealant on order with the proper grey machine pad to apply it with.

What will I need to do to remove the Ceramic Wax so I can apply the paint sealant before I reapply the Ceramic Wax ??

16 answers to this question

You'll need to do another strip wash. To clarify, I think, @2012srt8 post, use SW, orr 3-4 ounces of Eco APC on with your normal wash bucket and CS mix. Another option is Ceramic Prep. I would also normally recommend liquid Blue Dawn, but not sure if it's strong enough for the CPW.

Edited by falcaineer

I guess my question is why do you want to remove it? If it is just to apply the sealant then why not just let it wear down a little bit and enjoy the finish. IF there are other reasons then certainly using strip wash, or making a batch up can help out. 

3 hours ago, pirahnah3 said:

I guess my question is why do you want to remove it? If it is just to apply the sealant then why not just let it wear down a little bit and enjoy the finish. IF there are other reasons then certainly using strip wash, or making a batch up can help out. 

I had just striped the finishes, clay bared, used paint correction, then paint finish, and then wanted to use the LPS then wax to complete the entire process.

Unfortunately I didn't have any LPS so I had to skip that step for now. Now that I have the LPS coming tomorrow, I'll be able to go back to bare paint and finish the entire procedure correctly.

Now, having stated my intentions, I tend to procrastinate a bit in my later years, and the Woodward Dream Cruise is this weekend. With all the preparations for The Cruise, I may not get back to re-doing the finish saga for a week or two giving myself time to see how the CW performs.

3 hours ago, rrmccabe said:

How much weather does this car see?  Do you really need LPS?

It gets driven quite often in the summer, garaged in the winter.

The car is already 6 years old, and I have no intention of ever selling the car, and I would like to preserve the paint as long as possible.

1 minute ago, hdrdtd said:

It gets driven quite often in the summer, garaged in the winter.

The car is already 6 years old, and I have no intention of ever selling the car, and I would like to preserve the paint as long as possible.

Yea I understand that. I just typically use LPS on things that need longevity.  I was guessing yours might be a garage queen most the year and I normally just do glaze and wax.

1 hour ago, tmevilsizor said:

I'm a little confused. I thought that the longest lasting protection should be applied first. If I remember correctly, the CPW should last longer than the LPS. Am I incorrect or is this counter-productive?

I think that is a general statement for similar type products.  But I think sealant trumps wax in this case.  

3 hours ago, rrmccabe said:

Yea I understand that. I just typically use LPS on things that need longevity.  I was guessing yours might be a garage queen most the year and I normally just do glaze and wax.

Not a garage queen, not even close. It's more of a summer daily driver.

With 41K miles, it gets driven.

1 hour ago, tmevilsizor said:

I'm a little confused. I thought that the longest lasting protection should be applied first. If I remember correctly, the CPW should last longer than the LPS. Am I incorrect or is this counter-productive?

LPS bonds to and seals the paint itself. Waxes provide additional protection and shine.

The CPW and PS are both very similar in durability from what Adam's tells us.  I don't see why it would be necessary to strip off the CPW and replace it with PS just to put the CPW back on top.  I'd wait a while.  Also, I don't think one round of SW will eat the CPW right off.  I've had several waxes/sealants shrug off SW.  The only thing that truly strips the protection is the decon, clay, and polish process.  The CPW is probably pretty tough with the added "ceramic" properties it has over your typical Carnauba.  If you really want to put PS on just for the sake of putting PS on, then you'll likely need to completely start over, short of correcting polish.  Strip Wash or APC, wipe down with CP Eraser or similar, not sure if Coating Prep is good enough, and see where that puts you.  If the paint feels grabby and naked, then apply the PS.  

To be honest with you, I would leave the CPW on and then monthly coat it with the new Ceramic Boost 2.0 and see how that treats you vs PS.