Customer Service 866.965.0400

Can I 1-step with Adam's Heavy CC?

LSX Maestro

Question

Hello.  

I have a big Duramax pickup that I just had 80% of repainted.  She's like brand new.  But most of the panels have buffing/rotary marks and the original paint panels have swirls/scratching here and there.  I know it's going to take more than Correcting Polish to get them out. Rather than buy even more polishes that I'll only use 10% of, I'm wondering what I can make work with Adam's.  Being that the truck is 22' long, I really don't want to have to go over it 2-3 times...

I know only a test spot will reveal but wondering if you've ever one stepped using Adam's HCC? I'm not interested in it being show quality or anything, I just don't want it to look like it's covered in spider webs when it's in the sun.  Will HCC + MF pad leave hazing that has to be followed with CP

7 answers to this question

What you’re suggesting is if you can do “half” steps. Most people think you can only use compound with a compounding pad or polish with a polishing pad. Depending on the paint and how the clear reacts, you can mix a compound with a polishing pad or polish with a compound pad. You want to start with least aggressive and go up from there. General rule of thumb, compound leaves fine, universal swirl marks that you later use polish to get an even, “perfect” finish. You could try a polish and a compounding pad if everything is universal and not too horrible. 

What youre gonna find is that nobody can really tell you how it’ll work without a test spot. Best thing to do would be either find someone close who has everything. Otherwise, you’ll have to either trade or buy everything. 

3 hours ago, BHarris23 said:

What you’re suggesting is if you can do “half” steps. Most people think you can only use compound with a compounding pad or polish with a polishing pad. Depending on the paint and how the clear reacts, you can mix a compound with a polishing pad or polish with a compound pad. You want to start with least aggressive and go up from there. General rule of thumb, compound leaves fine, universal swirl marks that you later use polish to get an even, “perfect” finish. You could try a polish and a compounding pad if everything is universal and not too horrible. 

What youre gonna find is that nobody can really tell you how it’ll work without a test spot. Best thing to do would be either find someone close who has everything. Otherwise, you’ll have to either trade or buy everything. 

I have all the products I need.  I have all Adam's pads and polishes, various other compounds and polishes in the collection, and no issue spending money with several detailing stores near me.  It comes down to time and worth. If this was my C7 Z06 or similar, I'd buy the best and spend however much time I want on it.  But this being a daily truck that will see 1 bucket washes from time to time and quick spray downs and not left in the garage when it snows/salted roads/rain etc. I don't care for the finish to be perfect.  This weekend I'll wash/decon/clay and see where I'm at.  I might one step it with just Correcting and Orange and let it get the fine/medium swirls out and be happy.  

Edited by LSX Maestro

OP My experience with heavy was that it left a bit of a haze. Enough that I would guess you wouldn’t be happy with it, even though I know you aren’t looking for perfection in this case.  Could have been me and my lack of technique though. I’m sure you’ll get a few more people to chime in.  I’d vote for the correcting polish as a one step.

To do it correctly, heavy compound will always require a next step. You may get away with just going to finishing polish. But the steps exist for a reason. Polishes are far more forgiving to skipping steps. 

Compounds without the next step is like trying to finish sand a piece of wood with some aggressive 60 grit. It’ll finish, but not well. 

1 hour ago, LSX Maestro said:

I have all the products I need.  I have all Adam's pads and polishes, various other compounds and polishes in the collection, and no issue spending money with several detailing stores near me.  It comes down to time and worth. If this was my C7 Z06 or similar, I'd buy the best and spend however much time I want on it.  But this being a daily truck that will see 1 bucket washes from time to time and quick spray downs and not left in the garage when it snows/salted roads/rain etc. I don't care for the finish to be perfect.  This weekend I'll wash/decon/clay and see where I'm at.  I might one step it with just Correcting and Orange and let it get the fine/medium swirls out and be happy.  

If you just do a compound, you’ll probably make it worse. It’s designed to leave uniform hazing. So with that in mind, you’d probably be better off leaving it as-is. 

I’ve one stepped with the blue heavy cut compound on a black suv and it finishes down very nice. I could barely see any difference in the sun between that panel and the one I followed up with the orange correction polish.