Customer Service 866.965.0400

Proper protectant for a car that has a clear bra installed?

them240i

Question

I'm in the process of determining whether I should use glaze or sealant (M240i, Estoril Blue, Daily Driver) to maximize paint protection. Additionally, I have a clear bra installed on the whole front end, rocker panels, door handles and door edge guards. Therefore, would a sealant be better than a glaze, or v.v., or perhaps stay with a natural wax? 

8 answers to this question

Of those three, PS will provide the longest protection, hands down. The latest Ceramic Paste Wax is supposed to up to twice as long as natural (carnuba) waxes, so at least a couple months, while the CB 2.0 is said to last 3-6 months. Those could also be options for you. Here's a great read to help explain the differences in these types of products.

6 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

Of those three, PS will provide the longest protection, hands down. The latest Ceramic Paste Wax is supposed to up to twice as long as natural (carnuba) waxes, so at least a couple months, while the CB 2.0 is said to last 3-6 months. Those could also be options for you. Here's a great read to help explain the differences in these types of products.

Thanks for the link, I think I'm going to try the ceramic paste wax, and potentially layer, depending on how it looks. 

7 hours ago, them240i said:

Thanks for the link, I think I'm going to try the ceramic paste wax, and potentially layer, depending on how it looks. 

Certainly your call. What I forgot to incoude was longevity of the PS, which is at least 6 months. 

I have 3M on my cars and don't treat it any different than the rest of the car except I don't use the polisher on it, and I'm very careful not to use the polisher near the edges. Some guys tape the edges off, but you don't have to if you're just careful.  

23 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Paint protection films are commonly treated just like paint. The exception is polishing. They don’t tolerate heat from polishing like paint and are subject to marring if you do. 

Otherwise it will seal, wax or ceramic like paint. 

10 hours ago, Rich said:

I have 3M on my cars and don't treat it any different than the rest of the car except I don't use the polisher on it, and I'm very careful not to use the polisher near the edges. Some guys tape the edges off, but you don't have to if you're just careful.  

^^^ These. Got to watch @shane@detailedreflections work on one at his clinic earlier this year and really there was no difference as he states. He did use some Revive on it by hand but it was an older application.