Customer Service 866.965.0400

Expanded workspace

shane@detailedreflections

Question

Since my business is run out of my home, and with the recent family additions we outgrew our garage which doubled as a family garage and workspace. 

The way our land is laid out, we can’t have a poured foundation due to the zoning setbacks. So we had to go with a premanufactured garage. 

We ended up settling on a 14’ x 32’ garage style “shed.” We have used the back half for storage for equipment and I’ve started making the front half a film and coating studio. 

The front and back half will be separated by a canvas curtain enabling me to easily get in and out of for the storage component.  Up front, I’ve installed eighteen 4,800 lumen LED shop lights on the wall and ceiling. That’s 86,400 lumens of light for coating and film to catch everything. 

We started hanging banners and have power partially run. The rest will be done soon. 

Eventually I’d like to RaceDeck the flooring. But all in good time. And I’ll insulate it before winter. 

In the meantime here’s some progress photos. 

533371D3-B658-4E63-940E-12510901E4F1.jpeg

80D28C42-837F-4E3A-82C3-9CE80FAE67A4.jpeg

AB3B625A-7D6F-46EF-8A25-C9041931E3DD.jpeg

93D643E1-542A-4875-A8F9-3973242ECEB2.jpeg

D7F27891-6461-40F0-979F-9097B831FCA5.jpeg

3FF23F02-81FB-41EA-91CD-3194E3239715.jpeg

1 hour ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Thanks guys!  I’ll post more pics once we get the other side set up and complete. It’s going to make things a bit easier i think. Or at least a higher quality of work. 

@pirahnah3 beers soon?  We still have to talk coatings?

Yes, and yes. the later for more than one reason obviously. 

16 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Since my business is run out of my home, and with the recent family additions we outgrew our garage which doubled as a family garage and workspace. 

The way our land is laid out, we can’t have a poured foundation due to the zoning setbacks. So we had to go with a premanufactured garage. 

We ended up settling on a 14’ x 32’ garage style “shed.” We have used the back half for storage for equipment and I’ve started making the front half a film and coating studio. 

The front and back half will be separated by a canvas curtain enabling me to easily get in and out of for the storage component.  Up front, I’ve installed eighteen 4,800 lumen LED shop lights on the wall and ceiling. That’s 86,400 lumens of light for coating and film to catch everything. 

We started hanging banners and have power partially run. The rest will be done soon. 

Eventually I’d like to RaceDeck the flooring. But all in good time. And I’ll insulate it before winter. 

In the meantime here’s some progress photos. 

533371D3-B658-4E63-940E-12510901E4F1.jpeg

80D28C42-837F-4E3A-82C3-9CE80FAE67A4.jpeg

AB3B625A-7D6F-46EF-8A25-C9041931E3DD.jpeg

93D643E1-542A-4875-A8F9-3973242ECEB2.jpeg

D7F27891-6461-40F0-979F-9097B831FCA5.jpeg

3FF23F02-81FB-41EA-91CD-3194E3239715.jpeg

I think those are the same exact lights that I just got for my garage. I love them and they are so bright. I will have 4 on the ceiling in the main 2 car garage area and one in the back area where the furnace, water heater, and work bench are and then I think I'll make some kind of mount for my extra so I can use it while detailing to find defects. That looks like a great space

I think you need more lights. :lolsmack:

Seriously, though.  If you put up drywall or sheetrock and paint it white, you'll have even better light reflecting off the white walls. 

I'm stuck with just a two car garage here. Looked into adding an extension to it several years ago and the cheapest estimate was over $30K.  I only paid $20K for the house in 73, so that just didn't make sense.  And no place to put another garage that I would be able to access it. Glad you found a good solution.

@shane@detailedreflections I'll give you a suggestion in lieu of sheetrock that is easy to install, keep clean and is reflective.  https://www.lowes.com/pd/47-75-in-x-7-98-ft-Smooth-White-Hardboard-Wall-Panel/3015239

You can use spray in insulation, which you can rent the machine for a day from most large hardware stores or get a contractor to come by and do it. Then cover the walls with the white wallboard and you can do the ceiling, also.   By the time you add the sheetrock, mud, paint and time the wallboard is a good alternative for a workshop.

@Rich I'm in the process of getting bids for adding a Carport onto my house to extend the shaded area outside of the garage.  While I don't have the cold like you do in PA, having a cover is needed most of the year.  This is the model I have a bid on for a 46x26 with the largest opening being 32'.   The companies designs are nice and the contractor I'm working with has been working the company to get the plans and they are very reasonable.   My carport is going to be large, so I'll be in the $12k to $15k range with matching roof lines, using the same roofer that did my house with architectural shingles, etc. etc..  http://www.archiexpo.com/prod/ecocurves/product-87136-1978673.html

@RayS I’ll definitely check it out!  Insulation is on the list of things to do. 

@LSX Maestro add me to the list of people who are envious of your garage!

Today we got the rest of the lights wired and sub panels installed. What a long weekend. But here’s a peak, and a peak of a car under the lights!  The work continues...

F5325F51-A4AD-4B88-AFE4-5C6429720835.jpeg

2B1CFA4B-2B2D-45CB-9952-6791B584F446.jpeg

1552AAFB-788E-4C52-9ECA-32D78DC4DB25.jpeg

01F5341B-0B2D-4307-9EE6-A0EB5F4CE609.jpeg

A26D6859-8CF8-41A8-9859-28CA94A315F0.jpeg

D957642F-C72D-47E3-B4A3-B5F637B4E409.jpeg

I hope do build my dream garage one day, it will be FILLED with nothing but Adams Polishes for sure, power washer assembly from obsessed garage in it, race deck, bright led lighting and tons of space. but until then i need to get through freshman year of college.... and then all the years after that... ha.. ha... ☹️

2 hours ago, LSX Maestro said:

Here's my little garage...Have another 2-3 car garage attached to the house.  

Garage shot.jpg

^^^Garage Dreams^^^ (Granted mine would be full of MOPARS but to each their own) 

Shane, Def looking great with the lights on in there, as stated white walls and such will really help increase the reflected light and help get more light in the work area.  

13 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

An obligatory night shot. Which doesn’t do it justice...I need to break out the good camera when it’s all done!

600AFDCF-9968-4CF7-96B3-AD419767E5AC.jpeg

Congrats on the new work space Shane!  That looks like a very good size for detailing work....hmmmm.   And love seeing the Lotus again too!  

7 hours ago, mc2hill said:

Congrats on the new work space Shane!  That looks like a very good size for detailing work....hmmmm.   And love seeing the Lotus again too!  

Thanks!  We will still do most of the heavy work in the garage. And then roll into there for film and coating applications as well as final inspections. It’ll make a nice presentation for clients especially as days get shorter.

The Lotus is still a fun car to drive!

21 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

An obligatory night shot. Which doesn’t do it justice...I need to break out the good camera when it’s all done!

600AFDCF-9968-4CF7-96B3-AD419767E5AC.jpeg

And for added money, Shane is going to start offering no line tanning services to folks, free treatment with every coating! Or you can buy passes prices to be determined. Group pricing and outings are available speak with the owner for more info :banana::jester:

43 minutes ago, pirahnah3 said:

And for added money, Shane is going to start offering no line tanning services to folks, free treatment with every coating! Or you can buy passes prices to be determined. Group pricing and outings are available speak with the owner for more info :banana::jester:

Free tanning with every coating service!  Think it brings new clients?  Haha