Customer Service 866.965.0400

cordless blower to dry your vehicle?

Hi, 

I'm newer here and just started to look around.  So I apologize if this has already been discussed at length.  I have a question for the group:

I don't think I need a Master Blaster dryer.  Too expensive and it will only do one thing.  I don't want the corded smaller blaster either.

In the past, I have used my gas leaf blower to dry my car.  It works great, but you smell like exhaust afterwards!  Has anyone used a cordless blower to dry a vehicle?  How did it work, and what brand/model did you use?

I've been looking at a Ryobi blower.  It's cordless and I could also have my kids use it to blow the leaves without worrying about them using a gas powered option.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you

If you’re going to use a leaf blower, use one that was bought and only used for that purpose. Leaf blowers are not filtered air and when used in dirty environments (like blowing leaves) they can pull particles into them that settle and then get blasted on your vehicle. 

So a leaf blower can be a good option, but purchase one new and dedicate it to the cause. Don’t let one do double duty. 

Just my opinion. We wouldn’t want to cause damage to a finish we just created. 

Worx has some good electric blowers. I have the corded version but they also make a battery powered version. 

It is very strong and has plenty of volume coming out of it. I love using it to dry off big trucks in particular. I can get around the truck relatively fast and then go back around with my paint prep and a microfiber to dry the rest before I do some polishing/sealing/waxing etc. 

I've got a VW Golf, so it's a relatively small car and not hard to dry... that being said I hate the drying process. Is it worth picking up a leaf blower to supplement for hand drying? Unfortunately, I'm not trying to spend the master blaster money.

I've looked at leaf blowers before, but never knew if I should go for a corded or battery pack and what kind of specs to look for/consider. 

3 hours ago, GolfR said:

I've got a VW Golf, so it's a relatively small car and not hard to dry... that being said I hate the drying process. Is it worth picking up a leaf blower to supplement for hand drying? Unfortunately, I'm not trying to spend the master blaster money.

I've looked at leaf blowers before, but never knew if I should go for a corded or battery pack and what kind of specs to look for/consider. 

Check out the Worx WG520. It is "only" 110mph but also has 600cfm of output. Works great for me in my world. For $50 shipped on amazon you can't go wrong 

On 10/2/2018 at 2:22 AM, shane@detailedreflections said:

If you’re going to use a leaf blower, use one that was bought and only used for that purpose. Leaf blowers are not filtered air and when used in dirty environments (like blowing leaves) they can pull particles into them that settle and then get blasted on your vehicle. 

So a leaf blower can be a good option, but purchase one new and dedicate it to the cause. Don’t let one do double duty. 

Just my opinion. We wouldn’t want to cause damage to a finish we just created. 

What he said. 

Very good advice. 

Thanks.  I didn't think about the blower being non filtered as a lot of folks have said.  Maybe I'll just suck it up and buy the master blaster thing.  I love every part of detailing my vehicles except drying them for some reason!  Everything but drying is very therapeutic for me.

1 hour ago, RainDance said:

Thanks.  I didn't think about the blower being non filtered as a lot of folks have said.  Maybe I'll just suck it up and buy the master blaster thing.  I love every part of detailing my vehicles except drying them for some reason!  Everything but drying is very therapeutic for me.

The drying part is my favorite.  It’s when I get to see the end results. 

On 10/3/2018 at 8:30 PM, RainDance said:

I'm with you on the drying, but I am finding the experience better since I bought a couple of the Great White Drying Towels.  They don't get the inside of the mirrors and I don't use them on the wheels, but for everything else they are very helpful.

Edited by RayS

3 hours ago, RayS said:

I'm with you on the drying, but I am find the experience better since I bought a couple of the Great White Drying Towels.  They don't get the inside of the mirrors and I don't use them on the wheels, but for everything else they are very helpful.

Great whites are incredible. could never have too many of those bad boys lol ?

23 hours ago, ObsessedDetailer said:

Great whites are incredible. could never have too many of those bad boys lol ?

22 hours ago, RainDance said:

Ok.  I'm in!  I'll buy a couple and see if it makes it better to dry.  Thanks

9 hours ago, Iceman390D said:

I’ll second that, love mine and have several back ups!

They're good towels, but the Ultra Plush drying towel is on a whole other level. Incredible...

I have 2 great whites in rotation now and 3 more in packages ready to go. The value I see in a blower is to get the water out of crevices. Unless I'm doing correction or wax I usually dry with H20 GG so I keep the water on the car. 

Don't forget the pooling rinse!!  Take off the nozzle, let water gently pour on the car from the hose.  If your car has a decent coat of anything(wax,sealent, etc.) on it, water will sheet off and there will be very little to dry at all.  I use the leaf blower for the wheels/tires and crevices, then follow up with a drying towel.

1 hour ago, SIM CAMARO said:

Don't forget the pooling rinse!!  Take off the nozzle, let water gently pour on the car from the hose.  If your car has a decent coat of anything(wax,sealent, etc.) on it, water will sheet off and there will be very little to dry at all.  I use the leaf blower for the wheels/tires and crevices, then follow up with a drying towel.

:iagree:

How could I forget?! This little trick of the trade is an invaluable step. Thanks, Rob!

16 hours ago, falcaineer said:

They're good towels, but the Ultra Plush drying towel is on a whole other level. Incredible...

My wife said Thanks Chris.   I'm not sure if that is because I've added more items to my wish list or that she didn't know that I was drying her car with anything other than the top of the line.  

I added the two pack, seems to be the more economical decision.  Either way, you can never have too many towels of every type imaginable.