Customer Service 866.965.0400

Strip wash

Eddyr11

Question

14 answers to this question

In my opinion it’s an unnecessary product. If you’re prepping to polish, you’re getting everything off anyway. 

There’s a reason nobody else really offers a dedicated strip wash. And if you really want to make a strip watch, add a little APC to your regular wash. But it’s not really needed. 

14 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

In my opinion it’s an unnecessary product. If you’re prepping to polish, you’re getting everything off anyway. 

There’s a reason nobody else really offers a dedicated strip wash. And if you really want to make a strip watch, add a little APC to your regular wash. But it’s not really needed. 

In my experience APC, even sprayed on full strength, won't fully strip Americana or Guard & Gloss.  Not everyone  has the desire or time to fully polish every time they want to lay down some sort of LSP, and it's nice to be able to use the Strip Wash to make sure you're starting fresh.

9 minutes ago, zw470 said:

In my experience APC, even sprayed on full strength, won't fully strip Americana or Guard & Gloss.  Not everyone  has the desire or time to fully polish every time they want to lay down some sort of LSP, and it's nice to be able to use the Strip Wash to make sure you're starting fresh.

If you’re simply reapplying the same product you can go right over whatever is left. There’s no need to take it down to the bare paint and reapply. Taking it down to paint is more of a prep step for polishing typically or changing products than to reapply the same product. 

If there were really a need for strip washes, more companies would offer them. Just something to think about. 

Any tricks or things to be aware of before/while using SW?

I’ve not used it yet but I would like to on my wife’s Escalade to remove all the other products I’ve used on it before switching over to AP

I have received two bottles and so far I have used one bottle a few times on vehicles that that were either neglected, had automatic car wash wax or a dollar store special shiny stuff applied.  It did seem to knock all of that stuff down so I could see what was underneath.  Because I received the two bottle, I am most certainly going to use them since it does work for my need.

I use it just like I use the Adam's Shampoo.  The one thing I do differently is to use a old, non-Adam's, mitt and microfiber sponge for the wash that I do not use on any Adamized vehicles.  I still do a two bucket wash and I make sure everything is thoroughly cleaned afterwards.  If I find a particularly nasty spot on a vehicle, then I grab the APC and hit it and that usually takes care of it.  Some of these vehicles are really nasty, the one that sat under a pine tree for almost 6 years was a real treat - thankfully, I had plenty of plastic razor blades.  So was the one that bought a SuperShine from a flea market and couldn't understand why his blue car had a ugly yellow tint using it.

I'm undecided if I'd buy a bottle, but at the pace I'm going through it, maybe a bottle a year, and I have two bottles, I should be covered for a while.  The one factor that I do like is that it is premixed, just put it in the foam gun and a little in the bucket and go at it.  

25 minutes ago, RayS said:

I have received two bottles and so far I have used one bottle a few times on vehicles that that were either neglected, had automatic car wash wax or a dollar store special shiny stuff applied.  It did seem to knock all of that stuff down so I could see what was underneath.  Because I received the two bottle, I am most certainly going to use them since it does work for my need.

I use it just like I use the Adam's Shampoo.  The one thing I do differently is to use a old, non-Adam's, mitt and microfiber sponge for the wash that I do not use on any Adamized vehicles.  I still do a two bucket wash and I make sure everything is thoroughly cleaned afterwards.  If I find a particularly nasty spot on a vehicle, then I grab the APC and hit it and that usually takes care of it.  Some of these vehicles are really nasty, the one that sat under a pine tree for almost 6 years was a real treat - thankfully, I had plenty of plastic razor blades.  So was the one that bought a SuperShine from a flea market and couldn't understand why his blue car had a ugly yellow tint using it.

I'm undecided if I'd buy a bottle, but at the pace I'm going through it, maybe a bottle a year, and I have two bottles, I should be covered for a while.  The one factor that I do like is that it is premixed, just put it in the foam gun and a little in the bucket and go at it.  

Ray, Thank you for sharing your experience and technique using the strip wash.  I appreciate it!

Quick question, why the non-Adam’s wash mitt & microfiber sponge?  Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Iceman390D said:

Ray, Thank you for sharing your experience and technique using the strip wash.  I appreciate it!

Quick question, why the non-Adam’s wash mitt & microfiber sponge?  Thanks!

I have a bunch of old towels, sponges and such that were getting worn out and close to permanent retirement.  I use them for engine bays, nasty vehicles, wheels, exhaust tips, etc..  No need to use a newer, high quality towel on something that who knows what is on it.   For the car that sat under the pine tree, I had to toss multiple towels in the garbage and I never even considered trying to wash them - they were really that bad with pine pitch.  

45 minutes ago, RayS said:

I have a bunch of old towels, sponges and such that were getting worn out and close to permanent retirement.  I use them for engine bays, nasty vehicles, wheels, exhaust tips, etc..  No need to use a newer, high quality towel on something that who knows what is on it.   For the car that sat under the pine tree, I had to toss multiple towels in the garbage and I never even considered trying to wash them - they were really that bad with pine pitch.  

Gotcha and that makes sense. I wasn’t sure if you were using a different brand because they were just a little bit less plush as to help the strip wash remove contaminants and old waxes easier.  Thanks for your help!!

1 hour ago, zw470 said:

The only thing I don't like about Strip Wash is that you have to rinse as you go.  Even if the vehicle is in the shade and stays wet the entire time any dirt will work it's way back down to the paint if you try to wash the whole thing then go back and rinse it.

Thanks for the tip! 

3 hours ago, RayS said:

Thanks for sharing this! I like when people share their experiences.