Customer Service 866.965.0400

Preparing and Sweating - First Black Vehicle

RayS

I have just been informed that I will be detailing my first black vehicle and it is ~400 miles from my home.  It is weeks away so I need to have my act together before I get there.

A little background, I already lined up 1 vehicle and 4 golf carts to do, I'm not worried about them at all.  1 Red vehicle, 2 Red golf carts, 1 blue and one gold - pretty easy stuff.

Now for the problem.  When I say informed, it means informed - A Full Bird Colonel, Artillery informed me that to make my Aunt happy I need to detail their 2007 3/4 ton Black Suburban.  To rub it in, they have both saw my vehicles and jobs, including the ones that are older than their 2007 and how they shine.   I will note that this is also my golf partner for the week along with a Submariner and Air Force pilot, they love giving this Coastie grief.  A Marine on another team has a interesting name for our group - we all have fun.  Back to the purpose of the thread...

This has me rethinking my travel bag.  I did recently purchase a Adam 8 bottle bag, which is rather nice, the question is what goes into it along with my other bag(s), here are my thoughts:

APC, Shampoo, Revive, LPS, HGG, Americana Wax

Eco Wheel Cleaner, Tire & Rubber Cleaner, Tire Shine

Carpet Cleaner,  Interior Detailer, Odor Neutralizer, Leather Conditioner

Brilliant Glaze, Glass Cleaner, Glass Sealant 

I will also have Waterless Wash, Detail Spray and Ceramic Boost 1.0 that I use on the golf carts.

Accessories: Towels - lots of them, Wheel and Tire brushes & Woolies, Interior Brush, Vent Brush, Microfiber Applicators, plastic razor blades, interior scrubbing mitt, various pads.  I have access to a polisher in Florida if needed.

Sitting in my wish list to order are at Clay Mitt and Headlight Restoration Kit - the headlights are bad.  I purposely do not have VRT on the list, my choice.

I know I may not use everything on the Suburban and that is fine, I am more concerned about what I may be missing from my list and need when I get there.  Besides the golf cart items, if you see something that seems excessive or unneeded, please point it out - no need to carry too much stuff either.

Thanks for reading and your guidance. 

9 minutes ago, RayS said:

I have just been informed that I will be detailing my first black vehicle and it is ~400 miles from my home.  It is weeks away so I need to have my act together before I get there.

A little background, I already lined up 1 vehicle and 4 golf carts to do, I'm not worried about them at all.  1 Red vehicle, 2 Red golf carts, 1 blue and one gold - pretty easy stuff.

Now for the problem.  When I say informed, it means informed - A Full Bird Colonel, Artillery informed me that to make my Aunt happy I need to detail their 2007 3/4 ton Black Suburban.  To rub it in, they have both saw my vehicles and jobs, including the ones that are older than their 2007 and how they shine.   I will note that this is also my golf partner for the week along with a Submariner and Air Force pilot, they love giving this Coastie grief.  A Marine on another team has a interesting name for our group - we all have fun.  Back to the purpose of the thread...

This has me rethinking my travel bag.  I did recently purchase a Adam 8 bottle bag, which is rather nice, the question is what goes into it along with my other bag(s), here are my thoughts:

APC, Shampoo, Revive, LPS, HGG, Americana Wax

Eco Wheel Cleaner, Tire & Rubber Cleaner, Tire Shine

Carpet Cleaner,  Interior Detailer, Odor Neutralizer, Leather Conditioner

Brilliant Glaze, Glass Cleaner, Glass Sealant 

I will also have Waterless Wash, Detail Spray and Ceramic Boost 1.0 that I use on the golf carts.

Accessories: Towels - lots of them, Wheel and Tire brushes & Woolies, Interior Brush, Vent Brush, Microfiber Applicators, plastic razor blades, interior scrubbing mitt, various pads.  I have access to a polisher in Florida if needed.

Sitting in my wish list to order are at Clay Mitt and Headlight Restoration Kit - the headlights are bad.  I purposely do not have VRT on the list, my choice.

I know I may not use everything on the Suburban and that is fine, I am more concerned about what I may be missing from my list and need when I get there.  Besides the golf cart items, if you see something that seems excessive or unneeded, please point it out - no need to carry too much stuff either.

Thanks for reading and your guidance. 

Dang Ray !!!! You have the details set up for weeks out!! Thats awesome good for you. If you are going to apply wax are you going to want to clay? I saw you have claymitt in your wishlist but if you're not polishing I didn't know if you clay before you wax or not. Just a thought but thats the only thing I could think of. Other than that I cant wait to see some pictures!!

Some initial thoughts, if I may. Set expectations up front. Explain perfection is impossible...espscially to the Col ?. Also, for the black, plan more time than you think.  And maybe a couple more hours than that since it's a...rather large...vehicle. And pull it into natural light when you're done to check for any residue you (will) miss. Black cars are a real chore, so be prepared.

Other products:

- Fill all bottles, and maybe bring extras if you can

- Buckets!

- MRB to wash your towels between jobs

- 50/50 iso mix or Coating Prep to remove polish residue

I'll add anything that comes to mind. Good luck! Can't wait to see pics 

I am with Tim (@ObsessedDetailer) on this,  if you are not polishing don't clay black paint.  Most black paint is soft, and can possibly mar with even fine clay.  To improve the paint as much as possible without polishing you can apply Revive to clean the paint (optional), apply Brilliant Glaze, and top with Paint Sealant.   

@ObsessedDetailer @falcaineer @mc2hill  Thanks for the feedback. 

Tim, Michael, I am hoping to avoid the Clay and Polish, but figured I had better have it just in case and that is why I lined up access to a polisher if it is needed. 

Chris, As for time, I have as much time as I need after golf, replacing a few outlets in their house, new lights in their garage, sun blinds in the screen room and any other tasks my aunt wants done.   I can guarantee you that I'll eat well and drink some mighty fine wine.  The agreement is that they cook and my wife and I bring all the wine for the week+ that we are there.  As for perfection, the last time he talked about perfection, he got a 12 on a par 5.  Those Artillery people think anything within a 25 yards should be called a gimme.

I think I will take an extra bottle of Revive, a vehicle that size could a a bottle quickly and good call on the MRB and the buckets will have the towels in them.