Customer Service 866.965.0400

Help!Tree sap removal?

DF24

Question

So I neglected my car for a good 3 - 4 years without detailing. Now that I got back into it again I came across this on my paint. Anyone one know what these defects are and how to remove them safely? I contacted Adam’s and they said it looks like tree sap and to try an iron remover and I might possibly have to use my nail to remove it. I just received (car pro iron x) that I’ll be using, and then Ill be spraying some APC on it too. I’ve seen other use hand sanitizer also. Problem is I’m not sure how long is been there and how long is been baking for. The car is garages kept 

thanks in advance for my help and tips

BABBD46C-D8CF-4A1B-995A-E7DFB033E1AF.jpeg

5B18DF7C-C531-4606-B18B-4CD01665C523.jpeg

B8A31F23-E2D0-4FAE-9D85-63DF44CB158B.jpeg

14 answers to this question

4 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Tar and adhesive remover or goo gone and a plastic razor blade. 

Or steam. 

Thanks, I would have to check out that plastic blade, I wasn’t aware of that existing ive only seen the steel blades which I felt a little iffy to use those.

4 hours ago, ObsessedDetailer said:

Yeah definitely DONT use a steep blade on your paint. youll be in a way deeper hole than you first started man... @DF24

There are techniques and tricks to using a steel blade on your paint that make it totally safe. I've seen it done to decontaminate paint as well as take runs/sags/wrinkles off the surface. 

However, a plastic blade and adhesive remover in this case will be fine. 

This sounds stupid, I know. Nobody seems to take my advice seriously.

I grew up around hundreds of pine trees. I also cut down several dead pine trees. I am very familiar with pine sap/tar.

I used to use margarine to remove the sap. Butter doesn't work, so it has to be margarine. I used it on my hands all the time.

Over 15 years ago I applied this knowledge to my first car. It worked flawlessly! It isn't a harsh solvent and I didn't need to use a blade.

Give it a try. I bet you'll be amazed! 

Edited by tmevilsizor

7 minutes ago, tmevilsizor said:

This sounds stupid, I know. Nobody seems to take my advice seriously.

I grew up around hundreds of pine trees. I also cut down several dead pine trees. I am very familiar with pine sap/tar.

I used to use margarine to remove the sap. Butter doesn't work, so it has to be margarine. I used it on my hands all the time.

Over 15 years ago I applied this knowledge to my first car. It worked flawlessly! It isn't a harsh solvent and I didn't need to use a blade.

Give it a try. I bet you'll be amazed! 

I have used this with good results, just messy.  I used hand sanitizer on my vinyl tonnueau cover recently and it worked fine to remove a fresh bit of sap.  For paint I use denatured alcohol.

3 minutes ago, mc2hill said:

I have used this with good results, just messy.  I used hand sanitizer on my vinyl tonnueau cover recently and it worked fine to remove a fresh bit of sap.  For paint I use denatured alcohol.

I imagine that margarine and a vinyl cover don't combine too well! It's an incredible hack and most people have this in their refrigerator already! I am just glad that someone else can verify I am not making this up.

3 hours ago, cwp2016nd said:

There are techniques and tricks to using a steel blade on your paint that make it totally safe. I've seen it done to decontaminate paint as well as take runs/sags/wrinkles off the surface. 

However, a plastic blade and adhesive remover in this case will be fine. 

Oh interesting. Well I would just destroy my paint so I wouldn’t be able to ?

I have found that a drop or two of car shampoo and the plastic razor blade works wonders.  @tmevilsizor The margarine trick works on multiple items, I just don't have any in my house so I have to substitute other items.  Canola oil works almost as good as margarine, but is a bit more effort to get cleaned off the item you removing the sap from.  I do not recommend margarine or canola on a window, it just smears - no need to ask how I know...

For anyone who does not have plastic razor blades in their kit, I highly recommend getting them, it is around $8 for 100 of them and you can get them from the big box stores, mail order, many auto parts stores and sometimes your local pharmacy.  I keep them in my tool box, on my detail cart and in my travel bag.  

1 hour ago, RayS said:

I have found that a drop or two of car shampoo and the plastic razor blade works wonders.  @tmevilsizor The margarine trick works on multiple items, I just don't have any in my house so I have to substitute other items.  Canola oil works almost as good as margarine, but is a bit more effort to get cleaned off the item you removing the sap from.  I do not recommend margarine or canola on a window, it just smears - no need to ask how I know...

For anyone who does not have plastic razor blades in their kit, I highly recommend getting them, it is around $8 for 100 of them and you can get them from the big box stores, mail order, many auto parts stores and sometimes your local pharmacy.  I keep them in my tool box, on my detail cart and in my travel bag.  

Any serious detailer, or even hobbyist should keep plastic blades around. They’re beyond useful for a number of things. We go through our share. 

38 minutes ago, DF24 said:

Definitely want to thank everyone, this is the first time I’m part of a forum and is insane how much help someone can get from the community. 

This forum is special. Lots of great info, and even better people. Be sure to post an intro in the New Member forum, and ask any questions you have throughout. We're all in this addiction together!