Customer Service 866.965.0400

Issue with tire shine

New Edge Detailing

Question

Hey what's up guys, been using Adam's for about 6 years now and their tire shine for about 2 years on and off. Anyways, I've been having an issue where the tire shine does not make the tires look nice. I've always used their tire and rubber cleaner but it never wants to go on smoothly. Always looks blotchy. I let it sit then wipe it off and also spray it on then wipe right away, still the same thing. Any reason why I cant get it to look right?

16 answers to this question

22 minutes ago, PacificNWBuckeye said:

You could possibly need a deeper clean of the rubber, not positive though as I have no run into this issue. Maybe try a good scrubbing and an application of VRT and see if that evens it out, then go back to the Tire Shine and maybe that will lay down without the blotchiness.

See I've tried all types of degreasers and cleaner but it never looks well. Even after a few minutes. I'll have to look into a different cleaner 

When I apply TS, I spray it into a foam block and rub it onto the tire. This keeps me from spraying it all over everything that's not a tire and I can also rub it in real well and get even coverage. I've never had any problems doing it this way. I don't see a need to wipe it. I just let it dry for a while and I haven't seen any sling or anything. 

I've cleaned my tires using either Tire and Rubber cleaner or my favorite diluted APC. I use tire shine quite frequently and love the look. I have yet to run across the issue you're having. 

Some tires simply don't like certain dressings. That is why as a detailer I have 5+ tire dressing options just in case. 

I have the same issue with some tires, not all.  I've chalked it up to be based on tire compounds.  I've found in that in general, stiffer tires tend to "reject" Tire Shine and will do better with VRT.  Softer tires really absorb the Tire Shine and look great.

My Mickey Thompsons on my truck get blotchy with TS but look great with VRT.

My moms Michelins on her Equinox look great with TS.

The gf's beater with Walmart tires looks great with TS.

Did a friends Corvette, whatever semi-performance tire he had on there didn't really look great with TS.

5 hours ago, red94chev said:

I have the same issue with some tires, not all.  I've chalked it up to be based on tire compounds.  I've found in that in general, stiffer tires tend to "reject" Tire Shine and will do better with VRT.  Softer tires really absorb the Tire Shine and look great.

Did a friends Corvette, whatever semi-performance tire he had on there didn't really look great with TS.

This may be the remedy I need yo start doing. Just start using VRT on trucks and TS on cars and see how it works on car tires after 2 cleaning. 

9 hours ago, red94chev said:

That's funny your experiences follow a trend. 

Mine have not. I have super soft autocross tires on my Miata and the tire shine looks great. I have used Tire Shine on an F350 with poor results. 

Some compounds are just picky I guess. That's why you can't always rely on one product alone. 

2 hours ago, cwp2016nd said:

That's funny your experiences follow a trend. 

Mine have not. I have super soft autocross tires on my Miata and the tire shine looks great. I have used Tire Shine on an F350 with poor results. 

Some compounds are just picky I guess. That's why you can't always rely on one product alone. 

Oh yea. I dont just use Adam's I have a plethora of different vrt types and tire shines, But I just figured I'd stick to using adams but it seems I'm going to need to start using others 

14 hours ago, Bscott94 said:

When I apply TS, I spray it into a foam block and rub it onto the tire. This keeps me from spraying it all over everything that's not a tire and I can also rub it in real well and get even coverage. I've never had any problems doing it this way. I don't see a need to wipe it. I just let it dry for a while and I haven't seen any sling or anything. 

^^^This.

This might be going in the wrong direction, but did you prep the tire completely? When i say that, I mean did you really clean it to the point that nothing was left and your fingers and came back completely clean and grease free before you tire shined?

Edited by Adam Tarbox

These guys are right. The compound of some tires just don’t like some dressings.  I’ve got a situation right now where my two front tires don’t like TS but everything else does.  Drives me bat **** insane. Gonna try VRT on those the next time they’re cleaned good. But, that’s just how it goes. Don’t know if it’s the compound/silica in the tires, mold release, or whatever, but some tire/dressing combos are just not gonna go together.