Customer Service 866.965.0400

Layer Question

Blackbird_ws.6

Question

Hey All

Question, wold I be correct in layering in this order?

Strip wash to start fresh

Coat of :

-ADAM'S LIQUID PAINT SEALANT 8OZ

-ADAM'S BRILLIANT GLAZE 16OZ

-ADAM'S BUTTERY WAX 16OZ

Every so often to touch up light dust :

-ADAM'S NEW SPRAY WAX 16OZ

For every other wash :

ADAM'S NEW H2O GUARD & GLOSS 16OZ

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

16 minutes ago, Blackbird_ws.6 said:

Hey All

Coat of :

-ADAM'S BUTTERY WAX 16OZ

For every other wash :

Thanks!

Hi Bob,

You will probably get as many different responses as there are possibilities for combinations.  My personal preference is BG before LPS since it hides minor imperfections.  I have not had any issues with longevity from following this routine.

As for the HGG, the question is how often are you washing?  I tend to do my vehicles everything other week and sometimes they are two bucket washes and other times it is a waterless wash in the garage.  On the HGG vehicles, I go two months between HGG applications and this is with the old formula.  The Garage queen has gone 4 months between applications and it really didn’t need it then.

I have not received or used the spray wax yet, but love hitting the vehicles with BG if we are going out to give it some extra pop.

10 hours ago, Blackbird_ws.6 said:

Hey All

Coat of :

-ADAM'S BUTTERY WAX 16OZ

For every other wash :

Thanks!

That is the order that I would use.

Like Ray stated above, Brilliant Glaze helps hide minor imperfections through the use of fillers.  If the glaze is applied on top of a sealant or wax, then these fillers cannot fill the imperfections, since the imperfections are covered by the sealant or wax.

For the longest lasting protection, the sealant should be applied first.

Here's some more info on why you would want to use the sealant first, and when you might want to apply the glaze first.

Sealant bonds best to clean paint, because the acrylic resins in the sealant need a clean surface to get the best bond, to provide the longest protection.  Using glaze first leaves fillers on the surface, preventing a full bond on the sealant.

The sealant will not last near as long being applied on the top of the glaze, perhaps only a few weeks, not the normal 6 month lifespan that the sealant can provide.

Its all about the science of how the sealant gets its longer duration of protection, by bonding to the paint.  Just like in different types of painting, whatever you put on the top layer is only as good as what's under it. You could have a $100 per gallon epoxy paint that will last 30 years, but if you do not prep the surface right or use a $5 per gallon primer under it, that expensive epoxy paint is likely going to peel off in under a year.

You can apply glaze before sealant, nothing bad will immediately happen, but the sealant won't last as long because it does not bond to the glaze. Its a trade-off, if you have imperfections that you want to fill, you can apply glaze first.  If you are only using glaze for the shine, then put it on after the sealant so you get the longest protection from the sealant.

In summary, if your goal is to use the glaze to hide imperfections or to add more gloss, and you want it to last a little longer than normal, apply it first and then add a layer of sealant or wax on top to make it last a little longer than if it were by itself.  However, if your goal is to have a long lasting layer of protection by using the sealant, apply it first to bare, clean paint, and then add the glaze on top for a little more shine. 

Here's a quote from the FAQ:

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2015 at 3:21 PM, Team Adam said:

LAYERING MULTIPLE PRODUCTS

As a general rule, the most durable product should always be used as the base, so for example if you were working with a sealant and a wax, the sealant would be your base layer that is then topped with the wax. The only exception to this rule comes into play with a combination of glazes and wax. Because wax doesn't bond to the paint in the same manner as a sealant or a coating a glaze can be used UNDER a wax to maximize the filling ability of the glaze without compromising the longevity of the wax coat.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2015 at 8:20 AM, Team Adam said:

If the reason you're adding sealant to the mix is for durability, flip the order of the glaze and the sealant. (Sealant first, then glaze) By putting glaze down first your significantly shortening the longevity of the sealant, and to that end whats the point of sealing if you're not doing it for the durability. You can do it the other way, but the benefits are largely lost.