Customer Service 866.965.0400

Tire Armor

falcaineer

Question

Applied Tire Armor today. Took about an hour all toll, from getting all the tools, etc. ready to cleanup. First things first since we usually love them...the smell will likely not be one of your favorites. Smells like household paint. But the application was pretty straightforward. Longest, "most difficult" part was cleaning the tires thoroughly, but that wasn't too bad. Took 3-4 passes with TRC to get completely white foam. I also cleaned the wheels and fenders so that added some of the time mentioned earlier.

I only applied one coat, which left a satin/VRT-like finish. The directions said another coat could be applied after 10-15 minutes to give added gloss, which I assume is more Tire Shine-like. But this was my first try so wanted to see how one coat does for look and durability. They look pretty good (though I like them shinier), and the durability is TBD. I'll update this post over the next few weeks. But after driving once on a dirt road, no dust stuck to them.

Some lessons learned:

- I first tried a grey MF pad, but the results were lacking. Then I followed the directions on the bottle and switched to a grey foam tire block. MUCH better.

- Directions say to use "4-5 sprays into tread block and covering the majority of the surface area." I think that's somewhat misleading. I needed quite a few more all around the tire to get even coverage.

- Some got ontol the rims while I was spreading it. Not sure what effect it might have, but it's not really noticeable.

Now for pictures...

Before

IMG_20181124_114955.thumb.jpg.aca7a4c511b5abdc5e7d7709c8aa4508.jpg

During...white foam = clean tires

IMG_20181124_121506.thumb.jpg.e093db722e081bf6ff6fca2b36654706.jpg

Dried, clean tires to work with

IMG_20181124_123326.thumb.jpg.df1210bc0cc9ecafe184084bf1ba080b.jpg

After...

IMG_20181124_124634.thumb.jpg.1dd325403220cde75f0b70c8070802e9.jpg

IMG_20181124_125148.thumb.jpg.30e2fda0696153aadf9b543938ff54ff.jpg

IMG_20181124_130054.thumb.jpg.702bf95aa6299166c28534b0bf4d76b4.jpg

3 hours ago, Derion951 said:

Hey guys, so i recently used the tire armor on my tires. Did 1 coat, because i don’t like them super shiny. I love the product, and have had no issues. 

However last night i accidentally curbed my wheel, leaving a parking deck. There is now a ugly brown splotch the whole area my tire hit the curb. I tried to scrub the scuff with a rag real quick and it just comes away dirty with no change. If i hit the tire with tire and rubber cleaner will this help? Or will i need to reapply the tire armor?

Sorry for the novel, guys. 

First, welcome! Be sure to post an intro in the new member thread.

TRC will help clean anything that transferred onto the tire, so try that first. It won't remove the TA - you need something much stronger to do that - so don't worry. If you still aren't pleased, a touch up with the TA will be the only way to restore it. You may have to blend it a bit, too, to make it look uniform. Good luck, and maybe consider taking/posting pics to help others in the future.

I used tire armor this weekend and so far I’m pretty impressed. I only used 1 coat since it was on my daily driver ( my test subject for all new products 😂) but it looks awesome and still has shine after a week of driving. Will be adding some to the Corvette after the holidays are over 👍🏼

1 hour ago, CoonHound693 said:

3 coats of tire armor.  This stuff seems to go on easier after the first coat.   

DF72E18D-C8EF-4C49-AB73-E34A9B148BAA.jpeg

Did you forget a picture? Honestly doesn't look like it has much if any on there. Just bare, clean tire. But maybe it's the lighting?

2 hours ago, catman600 said:

That there tire armour looks really good.  Not much shine but hopefully one could apply a tire shine over the armour.  

And completely defeat the purpose of using the tire coating in the first place...

Hopefully they are working on a revamp of this product where some long lasting shine can be achieved with multiple coats.  The reviews are consistent.

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

Disagree with you Chase.  Not everyone wants shine on their tires (Adam was never a fan), but want their tires protected and easier to clean.

I agree.  Which is why you make it achievable with multiple coats to satisfy everyone’s preferences.  Having to put tire shine over a coating is absurd.

33 minutes ago, catman600 said:

8017A147-133E-4ECF-B586-5C5B189FD184.png

FA88FAF7-E692-4C7B-BE30-88FEDFA4F96B.png

That’s the idea.  Unfortunately the real world results are not matching up.  

Like I said, I’m confident they will release an improved version after getting feedback, I’ve seen it time and time again over the years with their products (recently with H2O Guard & Gloss and Ceramic Boost).

32 minutes ago, camaro2ssblack said:

That’s the idea.  Unfortunately the real world results are not matching up.  

Like I said, I’m confident they will release an improved version after getting feedback, I’ve seen it time and time again over the years with their products (recently with H2O Guard & Gloss and Ceramic Boost).

Their competition’s version of tire armor works better in achieving gloss on the 2nd coat in my experience . And the competion also has a 32 ounce version available. 

Figured I add to this post.  Washed the wifes car today and decided to apply the tire armor since her car doesnt get washed as often.  One less thing to spend time cleaning as thoroughly.  It took about 6-7 rounds of scrubbing with tire cleaner to get the foam to be completely white.  Her tires were very brown and nasty.  I applied two coats of the TA and I think it looks good.  Not as much shine as VRT or TS but good enough for me.

20190112_174440.jpg

Edited by dirtymarcus

I applied Tire Armor to my Camaro in November.  It's been over two months now.

Yesterday I gave the Camaro a Rinseless Wash.  First time I washed the car since November.  (It was a pretty wet December here in Texas so I didn't have it out much but I put at least a couple of hundred miles on it when the weather was nice.)

After the Risneless Wash I used Waterless Wash on the Wheels and Tires. Just wiped the tires down with Waterless Wash and a Utility Towel.  I think they look FANTASTIC!  You can see how dirty the tires were (I have a 100 yard long dirt driveway) because the treads and wheel wells are still dirty.  Only wiped down the sidewalls.

IMG_1602.thumb.JPG.aaeaa8cf23b38626e6e89e3b49554214.JPG

So - to sum up - Tire Armor works GREAT and last a long time on a garage kept, weekend driven, good weather car.  Light cleanup on the tires becomes super easy.

The jury is still out on the daily driver, filthy F150.

Edited by Beemer

On 12/27/2018 at 10:11 AM, CoonHound693 said:

This is the before tire armor picture.  I’m just looking for the satin black finish.  

58E52CA3-CB77-4766-9B2A-895ADD820147.jpeg

DBD85899-B652-455F-8825-BB4B1F3E1409.jpeg

That looks about perfect for my Jeep. I like a bit more shine on the car. Sold... now to give Adam's another tithe.