Customer Service 866.965.0400

Help me fix exterior "piano black" trim, please.

GaresTaylan

Question

Hey everyone. I picked up my new vehicle from the dealer about a week ago. Unfortunately they did a number on it with a hand wash despite my request not to get one. For the most part the paint is in good shape. I was able to get a 2 bucket wash in and get some sealant on before more snow rolled in. I'll get around to the standard correction with my cyclo come spring.

In the meantime I have piano black trim that looks terrible. Side mirrors, front and rear spoilers, side skirts, etc. Can these be buffed out easily by hand with the correct hex pads or do I need to look into getting something like a small rupes? Obviously my cyclo isn't going to help much here. 

Recomendations on the best steps to follow. Thanks. 

Here's a pic of the car and the drivers side mirror.

20181216_171455.jpg

20181209_160747.jpg

Edited by GaresTaylan

9 answers to this question

Your cyclo can get a decent portion of that if you’re careful. It’s not ideal, but neither is purchasing a small Rupes machine. They’re expensive for sure. We use ours all the time, but if you’re not going to use it all the time, I’d skip it. 

The plastic is generally pretty soft. Is it hand polish soft?  I don’t know about that since we’ve never tried to do it by hand. But some finishing polish on a DA will make quick work. 

Hopefully the dealer gave you some discount for going through with the deal after not following your instructions?  

I know when we bought our new vehicles this summer they gave me a hard time about not wanting them washed saying “it makes him twitch to see them go out like that.” I told him his twitching was better than mine since if I twitch, we walk on the deal. Needless to say we got to pick them up dirty. 

I second Shane's advice - that is how I restore those trim pieces.  If the Cyclo does not work/fit and you want to throw money at it, look at a Porter-Cable type polisher with a 3 " backing plate.  For more $ try Adam's Swirl Killer mini, or, as you mentioned, the Rupes Mini (I have this and they are great). 

The dealer provided an additional discount off the vehicle when the mistake was pointed out and they also threw in some maintenance for free. The alternative was waiting around for whenever they could fix it and the lease on my old car was up plus the dealer is quite a ways away from me.

While the cyclo may work on the side mirrors given their size, I'm concerned mostly about the thinner side skirts, rear and lip spoilers as well as the black trim encompassing the exhaust. 

I've polished by hand with pads before and never seem to get anywhere near the hopeful results so I wanted to see if I was chasing a lost cause. 

51 minutes ago, GaresTaylan said:

The dealer provided an additional discount off the vehicle when the mistake was pointed out and they also threw in some maintenance for free. The alternative was waiting around for whenever they could fix it and the lease on my old car was up plus the dealer is quite a ways away from me.

While the cyclo may work on the side mirrors given their size, I'm concerned mostly about the thinner side skirts, rear and lip spoilers as well as the black trim encompassing the exhaust. 

I've polished by hand with pads before and never seem to get anywhere near the hopeful results so I wanted to see if I was chasing a lost cause. 

Polishing by hand will never be comparable to machine. 

I guess the bigger question is what tools and products do you have at your disposal?  And what’s your budget that you’re willing to put into it?

You may be able to get a detailer to polish out those small spots for a reasonable fee. I would do it for a client if they wanted. Just pay for time and some materials. Not free, but it’s an option. 

At one time there was a thread or discussion about being able to rent a Swirl Killer.  I looked for the thread, but was able to find it - did that thread go away or was there not enough interest.  This seems like the ideal situation where someone would want to rent a Swirl Killer.

3 hours ago, RayS said:

At one time there was a thread or discussion about being able to rent a Swirl Killer.  I looked for the thread, but was able to find it - did that thread go away or was there not enough interest.  This seems like the ideal situation where someone would want to rent a Swirl Killer.

Here's that thread. Nothing since July, but about 2/3 of voters said they'd use it. Anything new, @Kyle@Adams?