Customer Service 866.965.0400

Air compressor for drying

dirtymarcus

Question

Does anyone here use an air compressor for drying their vehicles?  I dont mean straight air from the compressor, I know that can have lots of stuff in it.  Ive been thinking of setting up a drier and filter setup, similar to that used for automotive painting.  I'm assuming that type of setup would filter out moisture and particulates as to not damage the paint or wheels. Any thoughts or opinions?

12 answers to this question

Yea I almost bought the sidekick but I use my compressor on air tools and very occasional painting.  I figured the money would be better off spent towards making a drier/filtration system for my compressor.  I assume since people uses these systems for painting, they will work for drying a car.  Just want to make sure they do and that I wont be micro sand blasting my paint every time i wash the truck.

27 minutes ago, Beemer said:

I'm no expert but - in my experience - compressed air is more about PRESSURE than VOLUME.  I don't think it works NEARLY as well as a Sidekick or MasterBlaster (or even a leaf blower) for drying a car,

Exactly this. It’ll be great for blowing out seams and all. But it won’t move the volume a master blaster would. Volume has a place, and pressure has its place. They aren’t necessarily interchangeable with the same results. 

there are different styles of blower nozzles you can use.  some made for pressure delivery and some for higher flow rates that generally utilize a venture setup to suck more flow in from the outside of the nozzle.  That having been said I have tried both and can say they neither of them work as well as I have seen leaf blowers and the MB in videos.

The other big thing to be careful of using a compressor is that unfiltered you can get a mix of water and oil coming out with the air. I'm in Texas where it's quite humid at times and the amount of water in the air is significant.

I wish there was something like the MB or even the Bigboi buddie blower that was battery powered... I live in a condo and don't have my own personal garage... So I'm thinking about getting something like the milwaukee M18 blower 100 cfm and apparently up to 160 mph with a rubber tip. Not sure if it has a filter or not though... But either way might be my only choice for something thats mobile. 

Darryl what about a really long extension cord?  Not joking, I did this at an apartment complex in Korea where the nearest outlet could only be reached with a 75 foot outdoor cord.  

In Texas now, I use a big shop vac with the hose on the outlet side and a step down nozzle. Not sure I’m getting the same velocity as the MB but it is filtered and warmed too.

6 hours ago, Dkhazlett said:

Darryl what about a really long extension cord?  Not joking, I did this at an apartment complex in Korea where the nearest outlet could only be reached with a 75 foot outdoor cord.  

In Texas now, I use a big shop vac with the hose on the outlet side and a step down nozzle. Not sure I’m getting the same velocity as the MB but it is filtered and warmed too.

Food for thought about your practice. You’re blowing drying air through the same hose used to vacuum that traps dirt. You’re pulling fine grains of vacuum debris back out of the hose and sending them at your finish at a high velocity.

I’m not a fan of using vac/blowers to dry cars for that reason, even with purpose assigned hoses. Things will slip passed. I’d hate to see someone inflict damage on a finish they created before even enjoying it.