Customer Service 866.965.0400

H2O GG, Ceramic Boost, Ceramic Spray Coating, Paint Sealant, Waxes, Glass Sealants/Boosts - How many LSPs do we need?

LSX Maestro

Question

Howdy gents, been a while since I've been on.  I've been following their brand new products but haven't tried any as I've been content using my current supplies. 

Wow it sure does seem like Adam's is on a LSP over load.  Granted, most brands have lots of LSPs but it's getting exceptionally confusing especially for newer users.  Just check the comments on their Instagram posts and YouTube videos.  Everybody asking what do each accomplish, what are the advantages, what is the process, how to layer, etc.  I do not have a problem with lots of products IF each of them fill specific rolls but so many of them are moving into "do all" products that it becomes confusing even to experienced users as to what to use and what to ignore. I think for the betterment of the entire company, Adam's needs to develop/advertise a menu of 3-4 different "Formulas" or "Processes" for success if you will and then stop the pushing of different cross uses.  I mean right now with 8-10 different paint LSPs alone, you have a massive amount of possible combinations if you want to layer 2-3 products! 

Maybe a formula set could be:

$-$$$ Waxers - Not much durability, more for ease of use and shine (1 month maybe?)

Patriot/Americana + Glaze/Buttery/DS

$$ Sealers - More durability (6 months or less in my experience)

LPS + H2O GG

$$$ SIO2ers - More durability (6-8 months?)

Ceramic Spray Coating + CB/CPW

$$$$ Coaters - Most durability (1 year+)

Ceramic Coating + CSC/CB

I personally have pretty mediocre results with most of Adam's LSPs.  I tried almost all of them except their full Coating and Patriot/Ceramic Waxes.  Honestly, none of them blew me away as far as durability.  So I switched.  I moved to Gyeon CanCoat and really loved the durability and ridiculous beading/ease of cleaning.  Paired with their WetCoat and it's honestly a great system that blows sealants and hours of spraying, spreading, and buffing out of the water.  But the new Ceramic Spray Coating got me interested.  I do love the Ceramic Boost 2.0 and I use it on every surface except glass and I've been somewhat impressed but the 3-6 months is hot air.  I never saw "beading" past a month or two on any of Adam's products and I applied all properly across a small fleet of vehicles.

Ceramic Spray Coating may be enough to pry CanCoat out of my hands and I'd probably top it monthly with Ceramic Boost 2.0.   Anybody used CSC yet?  As a fan of the previous H2O GG (pre hybrid), the new formulation also has my curiosity; however, is there a need when you have CSC + CB 2.0?  

Also.  Glass routines.  What is everybody doing?  With all of these new products being able to applied to "all surfaces" why is Glass Sealant + Boost still a thing?  Durability claims remain the same or better for the "paint" LSPs, plus there's no need to keep 2 different products/towels on the shelf for one purpose.  Or is there?  

There's no simple answer to this post.  It's a read and discuss IMO.  

Thoughts?  

P.S. This is meant for nothing but constructive feedback/criticism to help fellow Shine Addicts and Adam's Polishes alike.  

15 answers to this question

As I read this post, and see all the points from the different users, I thought to myself about the differences in the LSP's between coatings and sealants.  One thing that popped into my head was the application costs of different products.  What I'm referring to is the cost of consumables to apply these.  For the average home user, do you really want to spend a lot of money on towels using the CSC to simply do your windows and trim probably monthly vs. the re-usable applicators that you use for the glass sealant or VRT blocks etc.   Sometimes I feel that the cost of the application might come into play for the different products and that could be another reason to not remove some of the other sealants available.

Since I started using Adam's products (about 10 years ago) the catalogue has expanded a lot.  One of the things I appreciated about Adam's when I first started was the simplicity of the product line.

However - Adam's has developed lots of new and improved products over the years.  Many times an improved product will completely replace an old one and there is NO END of the complaining from users/fans of that product.  Some times they've even offered "throw-back" versions just to please these customers - which just snowballs the product line.

Most of the NEW products do not replace an existing product and thus are added to the lineup. Do you want them to discontinue Buttery Wax because Americana Paste Wax is "better"? No - give the user the choice. Sometimes the "better" product is not the "best" product for you.

I think Adam's does a pretty good job explaining what each product is used for. It's really up the user to determine how it should fit in to their process - or even if it will at all.

That's what these forums are good for.  You'll get all kinds of opinions regarding which products will work best for each application.

As an example:  there is still no consensus (even among Adam's employees) regarding whether to apply Sealant before Glaze of vis versa. Your best bet is to try it yourself and see what you like. (BTW: It's been proven that the better looking detailers prefer Glaze on top of Sealant.)

Good post.  I have had similar experiences with the durability.

The product you are using is fantastic but without real world durability reviews on CSC yet, I am not sure your question can be answered.

I think the H20 G&G still has a place for those who do not feel comfortable applying a coating or who enjoy experimenting with other sealant type products which really can't be done over a coating.

Concerning glass, again some may not feel comfortable with a coating so they are sticking with a sealant.  Others may not want to fork over the $$$ for a glass coating.  Options are good to a certain extent.  I am one of those who is still using a glass sealant until its used up then I will move to a coating.

4 hours ago, Beemer said:

Since I started using Adam's products (about 10 years ago) the catalogue has expanded a lot.  One of the things I appreciated about Adam's when I first started was the simplicity of the product line.

However - Adam's has developed lots of new and improved products over the years.  Many times an improved product will completely replace an old one and there is NO END of the complaining from users/fans of that product.  Some times they've even offered "throw-back" versions just to please these customers - which just snowballs the product line.

Most of the NEW products do not replace an existing product and thus are added to the lineup. Do you want them to discontinue Buttery Wax because Americana Paste Wax is "better"? No - give the user the choice. Sometimes the "better" product is not the "best" product for you.

I think Adam's does a pretty good job explaining what each product is used for. It's really up the user to determine how it should fit in to their process - or even if it will at all.

That's what these forums are good for.  You'll get all kinds of opinions regarding which products will work best for each application.

As an example:  there is still no consensus (even among Adam's employees) regarding whether to apply Sealant before Glaze of vis versa. Your best bet is to try it yourself and see what you like. (BTW: It's been proven that the better looking detailers prefer Glaze on top of Sealant.)

Just to clarify, I personally understand all of the usages for Adam's LSPs, and really all of their products.  I have used a solid majority of them and have used this forum extensively.  I'm not really asking for my benefit but more as a feeler to see if anybody else is on board.  

Getting rid of Buttery because Americana lasts longer/has more gloss is a dumb idea because they're different products in usage (Though in reality, if you're applying Buttery, you could apply Americana, have used both and might as well go Americana IMO).  That example and similar aren't the things I'm talking about.  I'm more talking about creating categories of products and creating a product to fit the roll whilst also maintaining MULTIPLE products inside of the "traditional" categories (Wax/Seal/Coat) oh and by the way you can switch and use X product with Y and vice versa.  Understand that for me, that's not a huge deal as I know what each one is intended for.  But like I mentioned in the original post, 95%+ of Adam's customers probably don't touch the Forum.  Hell, most of the comments/questions I've seen on their YouTube/Instagram page could EASILY be answered by spending 5 minutes on their website reading about the products in question.  But most don't.  Compounding this problem is 8-10 LSPs x 2-3 layering options x 1-3 different ways to apply them and you have way too many options for the beginning user or even simplicity for "seasoned" shine freaks.  Did I mention that they could use to go back to the boards on most of their LSPs anyways?  Yes most of them are very easy to apply, smell great, and give great shine.  But most of them also don't last.  I guess what I'm saying here is, quality over quantity.  

Also, since, for example, Ceramic Boost 2.0 or H2O GG can be applied to glass, plastic/trim, in addition to paint...Why does Glass Sealant and/or Glass Boost exist?  Has anybody ran durability tests between a H2O sealed window vs a Glass Sealant window? I haven't seen any different in beading/durability, and they're easy to apply in their own way. How about VRT vs. Ceramic Boost when in my experience both leave the plastic looking about the same and bead water for a few weeks? H2O also darkens/shines/protects trim.  Now the Ceramic Spray Coating can ALSO do glass/plastic/trim - since Ceramic Coating Spray should inevitably do everything better than H2O/CB, now is CSC a no brainer for Glass/Trim and therefore eliminating the need for VRT, Glass Sealant, Glass Boost, and even H2O GG?  Again, it truly seems like you could get away with 1-2 products tops for exterior surfaces.  As long as the surfaces are clean, H2O, CB, CSC, can be applied to everything and accomplish very similar goals on each surface as the dedicated surface products. 

Maybe we just need a massive updated clarification and recommendation post from staff at Adam's to address these cross roads.  

Again, I fully intend for good natured discussion here to help everybody, including Adam's, out.  

Edited by LSX Maestro

3 hours ago, LSX Maestro said:

Now the Ceramic Spray Coating can ALSO do glass/plastic/trim - since Ceramic Coating Spray should inevitably do everything better than H2O/CB, now is CSC a no brainer for Glass/Trim and therefore eliminating the need for VRT, Glass Sealant, Glass Boost, and even H2O GG?

Found myself asking the same thing. I just started detailing, using only Adam’s products. I bought the bunch, Glass sealant, Glass boost, HGG, VRT.. then Ceramic spray coating came out. I’m here wondering if that one spray on everything can perform better than all of them. Even the price isn’t too far apart when it’s 3-4 products vs 1 in price. 

This is a great thread and can't wait to hear the responses from Adam's. I love their products and have most of them, Just like the OP said there are alot of choices with the LSP's but when do you use what? What products work with each other as far as boosting performance and which don't? I have a gallon of the G&G and love this product, now they have the hybrid version, I want to get some, now the ceramic spray coating comes out, why would I want the new G&G when there is the CSC now? I love everything about Adams just would also like some more clarity of what to use when?  Thanks for the great products and customer service!!👍

Edited by Goatman06

52 minutes ago, moons21 said:

As I read this post, and see all the points from the different users, I thought to myself about the differences in the LSP's between coatings and sealants.  One thing that popped into my head was the application costs of different products.  What I'm referring to is the cost of consumables to apply these.  For the average home user, do you really want to spend a lot of money on towels using the CSC to simply do your windows and trim probably monthly vs. the re-usable applicators that you use for the glass sealant or VRT blocks etc.   Sometimes I feel that the cost of the application might come into play for the different products and that could be another reason to not remove some of the other sealants available.

Right on the $$$

I have been wondering the same since I just purchased a new truck and seem to have H2O GG, Glass Sealant, Buttery Wax ect... Would using the new Ceramic Spray after I Clay and Finish Buffing with the Finishing Polish be the way to go? Also after the Ceramic Spray is using Buttery Wax still OK on top of it? I have a few bottles of the H2O GG but if the Ceramic is the way to go I will go that route. It is making things a little confusing.

13 minutes ago, BluedogGMC said:

I have been wondering the same since I just purchased a new truck and seem to have H2O GG, Glass Sealant, Buttery Wax ect... Would using the new Ceramic Spray after I Clay and Finish Buffing with the Finishing Polish be the way to go? Also after the Ceramic Spray is using Buttery Wax still OK on top of it? I have a few bottles of the H2O GG but if the Ceramic is the way to go I will go that route. It is making things a little confusing.

If wanting to use the CSC after you clay and polish would be prefect. I would only put Ceramic Boost on it. Or Adams Ceramic Wax. I have played with the new formula of H20 on a coating and it seems to play well in the short term.

I agree with the guys that are saying it's the cost per application. An example of this would be if I'm using the product on my vehicle or someone else's. If someone brings me a vehicle to detail and they are the type that just runs them through an automatic car wash I'm not going to apply the spray coating to it. The amount of swirls they will have in the paint by the time it is worn off would not be worth it. They also wouldn't want to pay the extra money for it. For someone like that I'm likely to just use H20, or paint sealant and VRT on it. For my wife's car I would be more likely to use a coating on it. I do the maintenance washes on it and it stays fairly clean. I don't spend as much time on it as I do my truck so something that would make it easier to clean and not having to polish and seal every 6 months would be nice. For my truck I would probably choose the spray coating. I want good protection and easy cleaning between details. I do end up with some paint overspray on it at work so the cheaper spray coating that last 6 months would be better than the more expensive regular coating that would last years. I most likely wouldn't get that out of it since I have to regularly clay it and sometime polish to remove marring. On my GTO that sits in garage most of the time and is only out on nice days I use higher end waxes. So even though there are redundancies in some of the products they all do have there place. 

Interesting.  The cost per application is a new angle I didn't factor.  But is it that real, not factoring cost of the product?  

Ceramic Boost applies with 1 microfiber towel, maybe 2 for a whole vehicle.  

H2O GG applies with 2 microfiber towels.

It's even possible that Ceramic Spray Coating can be applied with 1-2 microfibers that could be reusable if they're washed immediately according to the website.  

So if we follow this plan and use, let's say H2O GG as an example...Now you only have to buy 1 exterior product and 2 microfibers towels and the chances are high that any level of detailer will have on hand anyways.  You can save money on not buying Glass Sealant, Glass Boost, VRT, glass towels, foam blocks etc. or other exterior LSPs.  Sooo...?

Good discussion and ideas so far.  Honestly I'm still on the fence.  I think the point is getting weaker for all of the extra small category products if you use CB or H2O GG and they can do the same job, protect/bead better, and apply with one tool for the whole exterior all while saving money from other small category exterior products.  The argument could be made that if you're a wax user, you'll still need a trim and glass product obviously.  There's the therapy factor, competitor factor and many people will use them, myself included.  

On the up front, why is the new H2O GG any better or worse than Ceramic Boost 2.0 if both are used as a stand alone or topper for a Sealant/Coating? 

1 hour ago, LSX Maestro said:

Interesting.  The cost per application is a new angle I didn't factor.  But is it that real, not factoring cost of the product?  

Ceramic Boost applies with 1 microfiber towel, maybe 2 for a whole vehicle.  

H2O GG applies with 2 microfiber towels.

It's even possible that Ceramic Spray Coating can be applied with 1-2 microfibers that could be reusable if they're washed immediately according to the website.  

So if we follow this plan and use, let's say H2O GG as an example...Now you only have to buy 1 exterior product and 2 microfibers towels and the chances are high that any level of detailer will have on hand anyways.  You can save money on not buying Glass Sealant, Glass Boost, VRT, glass towels, foam blocks etc. or other exterior LSPs.  Sooo...?

Good discussion and ideas so far.  Honestly I'm still on the fence.  I think the point is getting weaker for all of the extra small category products if you use CB or H2O GG and they can do the same job, protect/bead better, and apply with one tool for the whole exterior all while saving money from other small category exterior products.  The argument could be made that if you're a wax user, you'll still need a trim and glass product obviously.  There's the therapy factor, competitor factor and many people will use them, myself included.  

On the up front, why is the new H2O GG any better or worse than Ceramic Boost 2.0 if both are used as a stand alone or topper for a Sealant/Coating? 

Exactly!!! This is how I feel about it. If it comes down to one product will cover and protect it all even if you have to reapply every three months or so I think it would be worth it.

9 hours ago, LSX Maestro said:

One of the main differences is how they are applied. H20 can be used while drying a vehicle. It saves time by being able to apply as you dry vs going back over the entire vehicle once it is dry with CB

So if I were just washing and wanting to add some protection I would probably use H20 as I was drying. If I had clay barred or done some sort of decon and had a dry vehicle I would go with the CB

4 hours ago, dg150 said:

One of the main differences is how they are applied. H20 can be used while drying a vehicle. It saves time by being able to apply as you dry vs going back over the entire vehicle once it is dry with CB

So if I were just washing and wanting to add some protection I would probably use H20 as I was drying. If I had clay barred or done some sort of decon and had a dry vehicle I would go with the CB

I'm well aware of this.  Like I said, I'm experienced with Adam's products and have almost all of them.  I've used H2O and CB before and know what each of them do.  In asking I more meant, since application isn't very hard for either and any user of the product they choose could modify their detailing habits to accommodate the application process, how does CB perform vs H2O? Which lasts longer? Which gives more shine? Which beads water better/sheds contaminants? Which applies to all surfaces better? 

I personally got away from H2O GG because of the application process.  I found it pretty intensive compared to applying something like Ceramic Boost 2.0 which you just spray on and wipe off.  But that may just be me.  Many say that H2O GG is the easiest sealant to apply so.  

28 minutes ago, LSX Maestro said:

I'm well aware of this.  Like I said, I'm experienced with Adam's products and have almost all of them.  I've used H2O and CB before and know what each of them do.  In asking I more meant, since application isn't very hard for either and any user of the product they choose could modify their detailing habits to accommodate the application process, how does CB perform vs H2O? Which lasts longer? Which gives more shine? Which beads water better/sheds contaminants? Which applies to all surfaces better? 

I personally got away from H2O GG because of the application process.  I found it pretty intensive compared to applying something like Ceramic Boost 2.0 which you just spray on and wipe off.  But that may just be me.  Many say that H2O GG is the easiest sealant to apply so.  

The problem is that most of what you're asking is subjective.  There are so many variable that it's very difficult to tell someone which is "better".  Either application or appearance.

You said it yourself - some people HATE H2Ogg and some LOVE it.  It depends on the user experience, the paint color, the paint condition, the weather, the amount of time available, preferred process, expectations, etc.  Too many variables for absolutes.  

People on this forum are not afraid to make recommendations / suggestions and share experiences / impressions.  I think that's the second best way to learn - following personal experience.