Customer Service 866.965.0400

Questions about Americana Paste Wax

LuckyKorean

Question

I managed to put a layer of APW over my car that I applied HGG on about 10 days ago. 

I sprayed car down, did RW and after drying I applied Americana but it was my first time using wax and I think I dun goofed a bit. 

Picture #1 shows freshly opened wax. Had some black gunk in there, just scooped it up and decided to use it. 

Picture #2 shows my Double soft, after buffing Americana (waited 20 mins). Now this is where I think I messed up. I have a poorly lit garage, can’t see the wax when it’s applied thinly. So I might have applied a thick mess... went easier on other panels, towel didn’t blue as bad but still some blue. 

Didn’t take a picture of my next mistake, hands were busy. But I was rinsing the red applicator pad that comes with Americana, gave it a firm squeeze under running hot water and it started oozing a lot of blue wax... like a lot! Not sure if this is normal or I accidentally put too much wax on the pad it all went “inside” wasting a bunch. 

Another mistake I noted was that holding Americana with my free hand while applying wax probably wasn’t smart. My hands are usually very warm so I think my wax sort of melted in the can, when I tried to get more wax on the applicator the wax would just spin inside the tub. 

I guess what I’m asking is, did I apply too thick that it didn’t dry? 

If I did apply too thick and wiped it off before it completely dried, do I have a bad layer of wax? Or like less? 

Also is it normal that the red applicator pad to be completely oozing wax when squeezed? Felt so wasteful 😭 

I’m not exactly sure how “thin/thick” I need to apply. All the videos I watch have visible wax streaks, probably due to good lighting. I just applied thick enough that it’s visible to me. 

4575DEB3-DBFB-4A96-A088-99B0A2B480A3.jpeg

FBD4A4C8-9803-4EEB-80BD-547EA4BB0EF4.jpeg

3 answers to this question

No idea what the black is. Could have been that something that normally dissolves when making the wax didn't get worked in right.  

As for the application, I'm going to say you're putting it on way too thick.  With Americana, you don't want to do the whole car and then wipe off.  Small areas at a time is what I do.  And put the can down when you're wiping it off.  Keep it in the fridge when not in use.  As for the applicator running with wax, yeah, that will happen.  I've had it happen a little bit, but not oozing, which to me is another indicator that you're over applying.  You're not hurting anything, but next time, take it a little easier with the application, do a fender, then wipe it down before going on to the next part, etc. 20 minutes is way too long to let it sit too. You should be able to buff it and see a haze after about 5 minutes.  Another factor can be your weather conditions too.  Hot? Cold? Damp?  They all come into play when applying any wax.  It's a process and you'll get the hang of it.  Make sure you get the rag good and cleaned out before you use it again too.  

56 minutes ago, Rich said:

No idea what the black is. Could have been that something that normally dissolves when making the wax didn't get worked in right.  

As for the application, I'm going to say you're putting it on way too thick.  With Americana, you don't want to do the whole car and then wipe off.  Small areas at a time is what I do.  And put the can down when you're wiping it off.  Keep it in the fridge when not in use.  As for the applicator running with wax, yeah, that will happen.  I've had it happen a little bit, but not oozing, which to me is another indicator that you're over applying.  You're not hurting anything, but next time, take it a little easier with the application, do a fender, then wipe it down before going on to the next part, etc. 20 minutes is way too long to let it sit too. You should be able to buff it and see a haze after about 5 minutes.  Another factor can be your weather conditions too.  Hot? Cold? Damp?  They all come into play when applying any wax.  It's a process and you'll get the hang of it.  Make sure you get the rag good and cleaned out before you use it again too.  

It was cold. About 40°F 

I planned to do panel by panel but felt it wasn’t dry after 10 mins so I went and did half the car.. came back and wiped the hood after 20 mins. The result was the blue lol. I did scrub the towel in a bucket mixed with APC and RW before tossing it in the washer. 

Do you think I could do a whole panel after dabbing the pad in the wax once? I think I dabbed like 2-4 times per panel. Twice before wax started spinning in tub. Four times when it started spinning I thought I wasn’t getting any wax on the pad.. 

Well, that's pretty much the problem right there. Too cold.  You need to wait for warmer, drier weather.  And a LITTLE Americana goes a long way.   Once it's warmer and can cure properly you'll have much better results. Americana is pretty much my go to wax on my daily driver. That and Patriot which is even easier to use.