Customer Service 866.965.0400

Sandpaper with headlight restoration

MrRaspberryJam

Question

6 answers to this question

53 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

I’m about to break out my Adams headlight kit for my friends 99 Accord and I’m afraid I’ll need some sandpaper as well and I’ve heard to use everything from 600 grit to 1500-2000 just wondering if anyone can really set the record straight 

TIA

Do you have everything in the kit? If so, sandpaper shouldn't be needed. Why do you think it will be?

47 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

Do you have everything in the kit? If so, sandpaper shouldn't be needed. Why do you think it will be?

Yes I have everything in the kit I’m just assuming I’ll need it since his headlights have never been buffed & I’ve had times where I couldn’t get full clarity with the kit alone 

24 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Yes I have everything in the kit I’m just assuming I’ll need it since his headlights have never been buffed & I’ve had times where I couldn’t get full clarity with the kit alone 

Here are a couple of pictures of a 12sh year old vehicle that has always been outside, has over 185k miles on it and has lived in Florida for the last 10 years.   The only thing used was Adam's light kit, taking my time and letting the kit do the work.  I have restored headlights many times over the years and found this kit to be easy yet thorough.  I very much doubt you will need any sandpaper.   The white chunks on the headlight is pine pitch, I first cleaned the gunk off with a microfiber and APC, then I wiped it down with a clean grey and then started with the kit.

Suburban Headlight.jpeg

Suburban After Cleanup.jpeg

If the clearcoat on the headlights are failing. The only proper way to restore them is to wet sand them first and then polish and put some type of protective coating over top like ceramic coating or paint protection film. I start with 800, 1500 then 3000 grit. Then I polish them. After that I do an IPA wipedown and coat.

3 hours ago, Ls1transam said:

If the clearcoat on the headlights are failing. The only proper way to restore them is to wet sand them first and then polish and put some type of protective coating over top like ceramic coating or paint protection film. I start with 800, 1500 then 3000 grit. Then I polish them. After that I do an IPA wipedown and coat.

I am with John^^.  I try polishing first, but the failure is severe you will have to breakout the sandpaper.  Starting with wet sanding using 800 grit is my usual beginning point, but I have used 600 grit dry first if the clearcoat is flaking or uneven.  Like anything else, after doing lots of headlight you will have very good idea what can be polished and what needs sanding.

Make sure you use LOTS of tape (I like the blue 3M tape for sanding), and double tape any painted areas that you may possibly hit while sanding.  And if the tape gets too wet, dry the area and apply new tape.  Tape is wayyyy cheaper than repainting!  And really spray down the bump area after you are done to remove all the 'slurry'.  

I started with 3M headlight kit 39084 (I already had the Adam's polishes and pads), and used the 3" hook & loop sanding disks and the hand pad.  I have upgraded to a better hand pad and more 3" sanding disks.  The next step for me is doing this will a power tool!