Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ceramic spray coating outside application

enoch7fa

Question

I am sorry adams but I get a little down and feel the company is out of touch with regular people sometimes when you make a video these days on a new product.  you talk about applying inside or in shade or leaving it somewhere away from anything for hours.  Most of use live in the real world we either do out detailing outside  whether for pay or ourselves.  So can the spray coating be applied outside?  if I put it on a customers car and they pick it up do I just say keep away from water for a day 2 if possible or must they park it and leave in a garage for couple days.  if I cant use it on a customers car and just say not washing or water from a day then I dont know if this product will be from me.  feel scared to use it on my own car. I feel you need to make a video using it on a car that is NOT coated and what I can layer on it if I want or can I double coat it.  try to remember us people who dont park in garages and drive cars daily when making a product. just saying.  

6 answers to this question

There are plenty of Adam's products that are perfect for your situation.  I agree - a coating is not for everyone.  I haven't made the leap either - but the spray coating is very intriguing and I'll probably give it a try in the summer.

Don't feel like you have to use every Adam's product.  They are broadening the product line but the more traditional waxes and sealants are still great for an ungaraged daily driver.

Sometimes it can be depressing when an exciting new product comes out and it just won't work for you.  Try not to take it personally and use what DOES work for you.

10 hours ago, enoch7fa said:

I am sorry adams but I get a little down and feel the company is out of touch with regular people sometimes when you make a video these days on a new product.  you talk about applying inside or in shade or leaving it somewhere away from anything for hours.  Most of use live in the real world we either do out detailing outside  whether for pay or ourselves.  So can the spray coating be applied outside?  if I put it on a customers car and they pick it up do I just say keep away from water for a day 2 if possible or must they park it and leave in a garage for couple days.  if I cant use it on a customers car and just say not washing or water from a day then I dont know if this product will be from me.  feel scared to use it on my own car. I feel you need to make a video using it on a car that is NOT coated and what I can layer on it if I want or can I double coat it.  try to remember us people who dont park in garages and drive cars daily when making a product. just saying.  

Tons of mobile detailers are doing outdoor coatings when the customer doesn't have access to a garage.  You just have to be willing to reschedule them based on weather forecasts.  Try to plan around high winds and rain obviously.  It doesn't have to be parked in a garage for 2 days afterwords.  It only needs a 4 hour cure time.

Edited by camaro2ssblack

I’ll expand on this a little bit. You can install coatings “mobile.” Ideally though you have a garage or a covered area to work. Heat and humidity play such a large variable in terms of flash and curing times that experience will tell you how to alter your timing for each scenario. 

The ideal scenario for coatings is a controlled environment. Curing times vary, but we won’t let a coating out the same day it was applied. It’s an overnight visit. I don’t want a vehicle sent out and exposed where a client can come back and have us redo it at our expense to satisfy them. If a client wanted to pick up a vehicle early, I’d have a signed copy of the release basically saying they acknowledge they’re picking it up early and any issues are on them at that point. Oh, and a ton of photos. 

Installing coatings isn’t for every detailer. Maybe they don’t fit into your lineup of products?  Maybe they do?  Keep in mind to truly offer a full coating install you need the ability to remove wheels so barrels can be coated too. Not everyone has barrels done, but we do far more wheels off coatings than wheels on. Our prices also reflect that level of work. 

Your issue with coatings and the Adam’s video are misguided. Coatings have nuances. One is the proper environment for the best result in application. This isn’t an Adam’s issue, it’s a reflection of your business model. Not to say it’s broken, but it may not fit. 

As for policies after a coating, it’s up to you. We advise no wash for seven days. It can get wet when we let it go. And we’ve kept it for the initial cure. 

The big takeaway is that not every product fits every user. Know what to try and what not to. 

I sort of rushed my post. what I am talking about mainly is just the new spray coating. just want to know if it is ok to apply outside. if I cant then this is not for me and maybe others so I feel adams needs to say that plainly. if it can then I would like for them to say that and show that in video.  not really complaining just that I got started with adams and sometimes I feel they are getting away from a lot of customers with explaining products at times.  this ceramic spray has got me really excited as I am about to reduce what products I buy and use, but that will be another post.  I am going to buy a bottle soon and want to use it right if I can use it at all.  I want to know in what ways I can use it for me and my customers still new at this only 18 months doing it as a business. so do I just use this?  can I apply ceramic boost and if so how long to I wait to apply it if I have to wait?  can I top with ceramic paste wax and then boost?  will that extend longevity? etc. etc. etc.

7 hours ago, enoch7fa said:

I want to know in what ways I can use it for me and my customers still new at this only 18 months doing it as a business. so do I just use this?  can I apply ceramic boost and if so how long to I wait to apply it if I have to wait?  can I top with ceramic paste wax and then boost?  will that extend longevity? etc. etc. etc.

With any product you need to take the time to learn the usage characteristics for your working environment.  I do a lot of experimentation with products and pay attention to the details, such as temperature and humidity, which products play nice together, which don't and just as import is how it looks when done.   I also also have enough vehicles to be able to track the long term outcome and I do admit that I use my children's vehicles along with my own for the learning process.

If you really want to learn a product or products, go by your local pick-a-part and get some panels.  Hoods are great since they are large enough that you can section them off and try different techniques on the same panel.  The video's from Adam's give me a good idea of what the product will do in an option situation at a mile high.  I fully expect and understand that being nearly at sea level, with high heat and humidity, the product will react differently and my goal is to understand that before I ever put it on someone else's vehicle.

8 hours ago, enoch7fa said:

I sort of rushed my post. what I am talking about mainly is just the new spray coating. just want to know if it is ok to apply outside. if I cant then this is not for me and maybe others so I feel adams needs to say that plainly. if it can then I would like for them to say that and show that in video.  not really complaining just that I got started with adams and sometimes I feel they are getting away from a lot of customers with explaining products at times.  this ceramic spray has got me really excited as I am about to reduce what products I buy and use, but that will be another post.  I am going to buy a bottle soon and want to use it right if I can use it at all.  I want to know in what ways I can use it for me and my customers still new at this only 18 months doing it as a business. so do I just use this?  can I apply ceramic boost and if so how long to I wait to apply it if I have to wait?  can I top with ceramic paste wax and then boost?  will that extend longevity? etc. etc. etc.

I’m curious as to what products adding a spray ceramic would replace in your lineup?

We wouldn’t use it as a replacement for a wax/sealant as the prep is far less forgiving when doing a coating of any kind.

It also wouldn’t replace with full coating for us since the durability is nowhere near where it needs to be for the cost. 

I’m not nitpicking, I’m just trying to understand your thought process so as to offer more useful suggestions and guidance. 

From what I know of your work environment and business model, it sounds like coatings aren’t really the direction you should be moving in. They’re best installed in covered environments. They can be done outside; but require the perfect storm of good conditions for the best results (which we a professional you should strive to provide). As someone who’s detailing for money, can you afford to have the constant weather concerns interfering with your schedule?  Can you deal with the unpredictable conditions?

The other coating consideration is what equipment you have to work with?  Like I mentioned before, a full package is inclusive of wheels off and coating the barrels too. 98% of clients we do work for are “wheels off.” The only time we’ve done otherwise is to save a client money when they were stretching to get the job done.

There are endless variables. Once we know more, I’m happy to help offer relevant advice.