Customer Service 866.965.0400

Coating Prep Question

Darryl.507

Question

Hey guys so I'm planning on coating my car with the new Ceramic Spray and I know I have to prep my car for that... So this is what I'm planning on doing. Let me know if I'm missing any steps or if I'm following the steps properly... I have watched a bunch of videos and read quite a bit so I have somewhat of an understanding just no actual experience. 

Step 1 - Washing the car with normal car shampoo

Step 2 -  Soaking the car and using the Strip Wash 

Step 3 - Clay Baring 

Step 4- Use the Iron Remover

Step 5 - Using Adams Swirl Killer with the 3 stage Heavy Compound then Correcting Polish and then the Finish Polish (although I may just use the Correcting Polish and the Finishing Polish as the car isn't that scuffed up) I plan on buying the Ultimate kit so I have everything needed to do this. 

Step 6 - Using the Coasting Prep (saw a video with someone using this before applying any Ceramic product) 

Step 7 - Applying the Ceramic Spray and letting it cure in a underground garage 

So that's my plan, not sure if I left anything out or not. Please let me know if I should be doing something different or if I'm on the right track. 

Thanks!

p.s does anyone know how to make my signature pic smaller... lol  

Edited by Darryl.507

10 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Beemer said:

Here's a better order (IMHO):

1.  Rinse car off.

2.  Iron Remover

3.  Strip Wash

4.  Clay

5.  Polish

6.  Coating Prep

7.  Coating

And here's a smaller version of your sig pic.

e4964e0d-5eb9-4557-9b64-1d290990277a.jpg.b1cd59c39fbf2f8a76418ea40422e753.jpg.802e4283b34a7ae1e1bb96a40e0b459f.jpg

Good luck!

I would wash before I iron remove. You don’t want the dirt to block the iron remover from working. 

Wash. Iron. Clay. Etc. 

There's no need to was the car twice. You can just pick one. You'll want to use iron remover before claying. When polishing, always start with least aggressive and see if that gets you where you want. If not, go to the next least aggressive. You'll get plenty more responses but this will get you started. This has been discussed a lot on here so if you do a some searching, you can find many different processes along with reasoning behind everything. 

1 hour ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

I would wash before I iron remove. You don’t want the dirt to block the iron remover from working. 

Wash. Iron. Clay. Etc. 

So..

1 - Wash

2 - Iron Remover

3 - Strip wash

4 - Clay 

5 - Polish 

6 - Coating Prep

7 - Coating 

Thanks again guys! 

1 hour ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Skip the second strip wash. It’s not really needed. In fact, strip wash by itself when polishing is a bit of a waste. Pretty much nobody else makes a strip wash. Polishing will remove anything left on the paint if anything is there. 

What about between the polish and the coating prep? Is an IPA redundant in there?

11 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Yes. Coating prep is their version of IPA

Thanks. I've seen a lot folks do both. Either an IPA or a wax and grease remover, then the manufacturers coating prep.