Customer Service 866.965.0400

Need Advice

kaj41354

Question

I just purchased a 1952 Chevy and the paint is original.  It is in great shape but it needs polished.  I have never worked on a car that was not Clear Coat and the previous owner "thinks" it is a lacquer paint (it may have been repainted at some time) It only has 86K original miles and was garage kept so me thinks it may be the original finish.  Please advise as to the steps you professionals would take to make it SHINE!

DayOne pic.jpg

12 answers to this question

Man, what a gorgeous car. Your paint is most likely single stage paint which isn’t the end of the world. Single stage paint can still be polished, just like multiple stage paint systems. It does change a few things though. 

We typically use a fine polish. You’ll also change pads often. You’re going to load the pads with paint quicker than a clear coat. So you’ll need a lot of pads. You’ll also note your pads changing color. 

As always, do a test spot somewhere hidden and see how it reacts before going at the whole vehicle. 

Again, gorgeous car!

2 hours ago, Thorsager said:

Beautiful car! If you think the paint is original stick with the least aggressive polish. If you polish at all. Have you tried using Brillant Glaze and a wax (Patriot/Americana/Buttery)? You can also use Brlliant Glaze on the chrome.

I plan on using BG and Americana but it does have some swirls and small scratches that I wanted to work on first.  After all it is black and everything shows.  Ill probably need a gallon of BG just for all the chrome😂

This is what Larry the AMMO guy calls the detailer's dilemma. If it were me the first thing I'd do is try and establish exactly how original the paint is. If it's a true survivor I'd do as little as possible. If it has been repainted then I'd be a little more aggressive. Either way there is only as much paint as there is. That thing is a beauty regardless. Love the character of those years.

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

I used to use Westley's Bleech White or Comet on my whitewalls.  That was years ago, but it's still around.

I have used BleachWhite in the past to clean but was wondering if Tire Armor would add that extra level of protection and it would be nice if TRC cleaned the entire sidewall.  I guess I could try it on the spare and see, or go down to the local tire store and so a test clean🙄

19 hours ago, kaj41354 said:

I have used BleachWhite in the past to clean but was wondering if Tire Armor would add that extra level of protection and it would be nice if TRC cleaned the entire sidewall.  I guess I could try it on the spare and see, or go down to the local tire store and so a test clean🙄

Can't see where it would hurt to use the Tire Armor after they're nice and clean and white.  Let's face it, both the Bleech White and Comet are pretty harsh.. Give the TRC a try and let me know.  Would be nice if something more gentle can get the job done.  

Its one of the cheapest and easiest things that usually get overlooked but SOS pads work wonders on white wall tires or any tire that you want to keep that original look. I usually use one on each tire and it seams to stay clean for ever on vehicles you don't drive every single day. Doesn't hurt either that a box of them doesn't even cost a dollar