Customer Service 866.965.0400

Few questions regarding 9h ceramic spray

Rocco NY

Question

Hey guys,

I'm new to the whole ceramic coating game.  I have a few question regarding prep for this job.

My car was purchased brand new in August.  Put about 5,000 miles on before I parked it for winter.   Obviously never saw an auto car wash, etc.  With that said the paint is in great shape.  It has no swirls on it, that are visible anyway.  If there are a few minor ones the color (go mango) goes a great job at masking them.  With that said is it possible to skip the orbital step and still apply this, or is it absolutely necessary?  Main reason i ask is I don't own an orbital, and would prefer not to buy one for a one time need.

Few more things...
I currently have Adams strip wash, car shampoo, wash mitts and clay bar.  I don't have the ceramic prep, but I'll pick that up as I'm guessing its neccessary.

They say its safe on matte surfaces. I saw them use on it a matte hellcat hood in the video.  I have a 2018 charger Hellcat with the factory carbon stripes.  Those carbon stripes are not something you want to wax.  It makes them look terrible, and removing the "cloudy" look it gives them is sometimes impossible if its to far gone.  Will the ceramic spray be safe on those, or should I avoid those all together?

My plan was
Wash with strip wash
Clay Bar
Ceramic prep
9h Ceramic Spray

Being the car is so new, and the paint is still in good shape would those 4 steps be enough or are there still other things I need to do to get this job done right?  

PS - got a red mystery bucket for Christmas with some good products in there.  VHT, brilliant glaze, detail spray etc.  Will all those products be useless once I apply this ceramic coating, or can I still use them on top of the coat?

Thanks in advance,
Rocco

12 answers to this question

If you clay bar, you’ll want to polish the paint. A clay bar is an abrasive. It will mar the pint. 

A ceramic coating has amazing hydrophobic properties. Putting anything on top of the coating (besides a silica spray sealant such as ceramic boost) will affect the hydrophobic properties of the coating. 

You definitely  dont have to do a paint correction. If you are happy on what it looks like just know that the Ceramic coating/spray just locks the paint in.  It does not reduce swirls.  

If ur happy with it thats all that matters.  

The claying could introduce some swirls,   Would members recomend Revive

hand polish after claying? If he doesnt want to use a SK???  

As far as your Mb..the DS can def be used in betweeen washes and as a drying agent.  The BG shouldnt be used on paint if its cermic coated (some may argue othetwise) but a neat trick the forum has exposed is using it on interior windows.  Leaves them near invisible!

gooD luck

Thanks for the replies.  So I’m guessing if I don’t own an orbital I shouldn’t bother with this?  If that’s the case I may cancel my order, and use the current products I have.  I’ll just revisit the ceramic thing at another time.

i personally don’t mind washing the car and going over it with DS or BG between wax coats.

It really boils down to your opinion of the paint condition and what you're happy with. Coating will give you extended protection..significantly more than a wax...and a ton of gloss, but it will lock in whatever is there. Swirls, etc. The basics of your process look good if you do go the coating route, and you can still use the VRT for the tires and BG for inside the windshield (eliminates the haze).

Check out this article for some more on product differences, layering, etc.

Like Falcaineer said,..its preference..if ur happy with the paint the CC is awsome. Water shoots of the paint and, at least for

me, easier to maintain. No need for monthly, bi-monthly coats of wax.  

Some people(like myself!!) can barley breath at the site of swirls!!!! If slight swirls

dont bother u go for it. 

3 minutes ago, Rocco NY said:

I’ll legitinately lose sleep over swirls in the paint lol.

with that said, my paint doesn’t have any.

I hate to break it to you but DISs (Dealer Installed Swirls) are common. Just don't hold a strong light up to the paint. 😬 Ignorance is bliss 😄.

1 hour ago, falcaineer said:

I hate to break it to you but DISs (Dealer Installed Swirls) are common. Just don't hold a strong light up to the paint. 😬 Ignorance is bliss 😄.

I didn’t let them prep the car lol.  I’m aware that there probably are some minor imperfections on the paint though.  However the color does a fantastic job of masking them.

I know this is an older post, but I am also new to ceramics as well.  I purchased the 9H spray back in January and haven't had a chance to use it due to it being winter time. : )  I have done the traditional clay/polish/glaze/wax procedure in the past.  Based upon this post, it seems that if I just apply the 9H spray to the car, I will no longer need to glaze and wax.  I assume that the 9H spray has similar protection characteristics compared to the Patriot wax?  

Partially correct..the prep work is most important.  You are going to do your paint correction to your liking. Once it’s acceptable to you you are going to need to use the Coating prep or surface prep to remove any left over residue.  Then you apply your cermaic coating.  

Ideally this should eleiminate your glaze, but some of us choose to wax and or glaze...Adams offers their cermic wax which i have and use.  I like it.   Others also use Bg on their cermic coatings.    

But in theory, u can CsC a few times a year and just basically do maintaince washes weekly.  Good luck