Customer Service 866.965.0400

Which WC for Plasti-dip wheels?

falcaineer

Question

4 answers to this question

Either one will work, but the dip tends to hold onto the smell for a while. Start with the Eco Cleaner and see how that goes. Once you get them clean, some preventative maintenance will make them easier to keep clean. Make sure to use Dip Coat. I don’t know if Tire Armor will work on Dip or not. 

Edited by GXPaycheck

While I can't say what brake dust and such will do to wheel's coated with plasti-dip, I can tell you that other areas will clean up with diluted Eco APC and Eco Wheel Cleaner or Waterless Wash.  If you want a shine put on the plasti-dip, then tire shine works.   A word of caution, if the plasti-dip is on running boards, rear bumper step or I would suspect anyplace you are placing your foot, tire shine will make the area very slippery.  

Since plasti-dip has a somewhat porous surface, I have found that a soft bristle brush works best for cleaning and applying the chemical of choice for protection.  While I have not tried either, if you have Matte Detailer or Undercarriage spray, it might be worth giving it a test if you desire a flat look vs a shine.   I have not come across wheels with plasti-dip yet, but do see vehicle emblems, running boards, bumper steps, lower quarter panels, mud flaps, pinch welds, tail gate handles, tow hooks, and fog light bezels with it.  I have also saw some entire cars, although I have not yet detailed one, I do not think it would be a problem.  

If you haven't worked with plasti-dip yet, I recommend you pick up a can and do some experimentation.  It is easy to use and can peel in different manners according to how it was applied.  Thin coats with chunk off, while thick coats will lift off in a sheet.  If you use a pressure washer and get a hole or tear in it, you can end up with a water or air pocket underneath.  I stay away from anything aggressive or using high pressure while cleaning the surface.  

For protection, I have used Ceramic Boost 1.0 and H20 Guard and Gloss and both seemed to work well.  Both of them work the same on plasti-dip as they do other surfaces with the wet method.  I suspect CB 2.0 will work just as good as CB 1.0, I just haven't tried it so I cannot say for a fact.

Edited by RayS

I had plasti dipped wheels (my mustang is currently fully dipped for the 3rd time and I had dipped my truck a few years back).  I find that APC worked great for cleaning white dip.  I hadnt used any specific WC other than that because APC at a 50/50 dilution worked fine.  If white is overly dirty I would spray 100% solution onto a micorfiber and lightly rub the dip until its clean (doesnt take long).  Just be careful, thin dip can rub a hole in easily.   For protection I used tire shine, spray it on a microfiber, wipe it on, than buff it off with a clean microfiber.  It does great at adding a slight sheen, protection, and makes the surface slick and not rubbery feeling.  VRT works well also but TS is much cheaper (plus i have a gallon I need to use up).  

I plasti dipped my wheels and after it dried I used ceramic trim coat on all but one wheel just for comparison and it worked great. Uncoated would grab fibers out of my soft towel when using detail spray. It also makes the plasti come off easier because it kind of holds the plasti together while pulling on it.