Customer Service 866.965.0400

Starting a "company"

Colin2019

Question

12 answers to this question

I admire your hustle at such a young age!  It’s something to be commended. 

Being so young offers you a ton of advantages. The biggest is time to gain experience. The second is you don’t need to make big money to “pay the bills” yet in life. 

A few things to consider. First, don’t call it a detailing business...yet. You’re looking at more of a car wash/cleaning service. Detailing implies a whole level you’re not ready to provide yet. You will get there. I’m confident of that. 

Being in an upper middle class area, you should have some folks willing to give you business just out of respect for your hustle. Do well by them and work will flow in from their circles. 

To grow your business, cover expenses for product, your time and to leave some money in the business for expansion (tools, etc down the line). 

It will take time, but you will grow. I’ll make you this offer...PM me any time you want with with questions. I’m happy to help you out. I’ve done it for others here on this forum.

I would love to find a local kid with your drive. I would open the doors and help you learn more before sending you on your way with your business. There’s enough work to go around for everyone. 

I admire your ambition.  Adam himself started even earlier.  So he would be a great one to talk shop with . 

But I wouldn't promise anyone anything more than a wash and dry, maybe a wax if you're good at it and they're willing to pay for it. But I wouldn't attempt paint correction or doing anything with a machine unless your customers sign a waiver releasing you from any damages that could happen.   For best results, you always want to do your work in a shaded area.  If you don't have a car port or garage to work in,  then maybe you can invest in a pop up canopy.  Are you going to travel to the jobs, or have customers come to you?  All things to consider.   And be sure to keep a schedule so you don't have 5 cars or trucks sitting there waiting. 

Go get em young man!!  Best of luck. :2thumbs:

1 hour ago, Rich said:

I admire your ambition.  Adam himself started even earlier.  So he would be a great one to talk shop with . 

But I wouldn't promise anyone anything more than a wash and dry, maybe a wax if you're good at it and they're willing to pay for it. But I wouldn't attempt paint correction or doing anything with a machine unless your customers sign a waiver releasing you from any damages that could happen.   For best results, you always want to do your work in a shaded area.  If you don't have a car port or garage to work in,  then maybe you can invest in a pop up canopy.  Are you going to travel to the jobs, or have customers come to you?  All things to consider.   And be sure to keep a schedule so you don't have 5 cars or trucks sitting there waiting. 

Go get em young man!!  Best of luck. :2thumbs:

Thank You! I am thinking about offering wax, because I have done it for 3 years on my parents cars, and am can do it pretty well. I am definitely not going to attempt paint correctio n. Also, I would offer something along the lines of an interior vacuum and wipe down. However, would you think people with 50k to 200k vehicles would want a 14 year old working on them? I mean, I'm not bad at it, but when people see a kid, they might think unprofessional. Also, I don't want to be responsible for a scratch on a McLaren 570. Thanks for the response.

Without knowing you, it's 50/50 as to whether or not someone would feel comfortable or not.  I'm sure family friends would be fine with it. And you have to start somewhere.  Do a good job, ask them to spread the word, and I'm sure you'll find some takers. Then there are guys like me who won't let anyone  else touch my paint.  But don't get discouraged if you're not a millionaire by your 15th birthday.   A wise man once said that the longest journey begins with the first step.   It takes time.  But you could be the next Adam in 20 years! 

9 hours ago, Rich said:

Without knowing you, it's 50/50 as to whether or not someone would feel comfortable or not.  I'm sure family friends would be fine with it. And you have to start somewhere.  Do a good job, ask them to spread the word, and I'm sure you'll find some takers. Then there are guys like me who won't let anyone  else touch my paint.  But don't get discouraged if you're not a millionaire by your 15th birthday.   A wise man once said that the longest journey begins with the first step.   It takes time.  But you could be the next Adam in 20 years! 

Thank you for your help. Have a great rest of your week!

4 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

I admire your hustle at such a young age!  It’s something to be commended. 

Being so young offers you a ton of advantages. The biggest is time to gain experience. The second is you don’t need to make big money to “pay the bills” yet in life. 

A few things to consider. First, don’t call it a detailing business...yet. You’re looking at more of a car wash/cleaning service. Detailing implies a whole level you’re not ready to provide yet. You will get there. I’m confident of that. 

Being in an upper middle class area, you should have some folks willing to give you business just out of respect for your hustle. Do well by them and work will flow in from their circles. 

To grow your business, cover expenses for product, your time and to leave some money in the business for expansion (tools, etc down the line). 

It will take time, but you will grow. I’ll make you this offer...PM me any time you want with with questions. I’m happy to help you out. I’ve done it for others here on this forum.

I would love to find a local kid with your drive. I would open the doors and help you learn more before sending you on your way with your business. There’s enough work to go around for everyone. 

Thank You! I figured that since I like to clean my parents cars, I might as well offer my services to the public. I am so happy I found out about Adam's. The people here have been so helpful and the products are great. 

19 hours ago, Colin2019 said:

Thank You! I am thinking about offering wax, because I have done it for 3 years on my parents cars, and am can do it pretty well. I am definitely not going to attempt paint correctio n. Also, I would offer something along the lines of an interior vacuum and wipe down. However, would you think people with 50k to 200k vehicles would want a 14 year old working on them? I mean, I'm not bad at it, but when people see a kid, they might think unprofessional. Also, I don't want to be responsible for a scratch on a McLaren 570. Thanks for the response.

I had a guy pull up to an elementary school car wash fundraiser with newer Porsche 911...i told him this probably wasnt a good idea...i told him my thoughts and .he couldnt have cared less....i got light headed and had to walk away, could not watch!!!! 🤮

So u never know who will let u work on their car!   

1 minute ago, tlbullet said:

I had a guy pull up to an elementary school car wash fundraiser with newer Porsche 911...i told him this probably wasnt a good idea...i told him my thoughts and .he couldnt have cared less....i got light headed and had to walk away, could not watch!!!! 🤮

Wow! 

Hi Colin,

I think you have taken the first step in getting customers just by reaching out to this site and understanding your limitations.  You are also the type of person that I would be willing to bring a couple of my vehicles to.  I will also be perfectly honest in the fact that I would not bring all of my vehicles, but according to how you did on one or two of them, you might get the opportunity to do a couple others.  This is the type of scenario that you need to look for as it is an opportunity to prove your abilities while increasing your skills by doing more vehicles.  

I am impressed with your ambition and desire to gain knowledge and I wish you the best of luck - to bad Michigan is so far away from South Carolina.

3 hours ago, tlbullet said:

Have you considered that perhaps the person in question was upset with their detailer and this was payback??? :)

1 hour ago, DaleH said:

Have you considered that perhaps the person in question was upset with their detailer and this was payback??? :)

Picture 10 elementary kids throwing sponges at each other landing on the pavement, picking them up and rubbing them   on the panels of the car..maybe, just maybe some soap on it!!!!!    Non-stop for hours...definatley feel bad for the next owner of this car 

2 minutes ago, tlbullet said:

Picture 10 elementary kids throwing sponges at each other landing on the pavement, picking them up and rubbing them   on the panels of the car..maybe, just maybe some soap on it!!!!!    Non-stop for hours...definatley feel bad for the next owner of this car 

This is why we can't have nice things...