Customer Service 866.965.0400

Question on Polishing Pads

vcordaro

Question

Ok so I am a little confused on which pad I need for polishing my car prior to applying the ceramic coating.  After watching video 12 where he demos the orbital long throw which is what I am going to use.  I see he uses a black microfiber pad (with orange backing) with the normal orange correcting polish. I assume that black pad is basically the same as the white one you offer?  Doesn't look as thick but I did not see the black one that is in the video unless I overlooked it.   Would that be the idea?  Or should I just use the orange form pad with the orange correcting polish and if I need to switch to the heavy correcting polish and then switch to micro fiber?  I was told my car has hard paint so I assume I will start with the orange and then move to the blue, but which pads? 

Thanks in advance

2 answers to this question

ADAMS COLOR CODED IT for u.. white pad w/ FP. Orange  pad with CP and blue pad with HC.   I used the Mf pad with the HC when i had a swirl/scratch that the Blue pad didnt correct.   

I would start with white pad and FP to see if that does what your looking for.   If the white od doent do it, then step up to orange pad/CP.  

1 hour ago, vcordaro said:

Ok so I am a little confused on which pad I need for polishing my car prior to applying the ceramic coating.  After watching video 12 where he demos the orbital long throw which is what I am going to use.  I see he uses a black microfiber pad (with orange backing) with the normal orange correcting polish. I assume that black pad is basically the same as the white one you offer?  Doesn't look as thick but I did not see the black one that is in the video unless I overlooked it.   Would that be the idea?  Or should I just use the orange form pad with the orange correcting polish and if I need to switch to the heavy correcting polish and then switch to micro fiber?  I was told my car has hard paint so I assume I will start with the orange and then move to the blue, but which pads? 

Thanks in advance

Only you can be the judge of what's acceptable to you, but some pics on here with make/model may lend some more insight and better advice from us.

As @tlbullet says, the pads and polishes are color-coded. You can interchange, but sticking with the colors will keep it simple for you this time. I'll try and answer your other questions...

Yes, the black/orange microfiber pad (now discontinued) is essentially the same as the white/blue microfiber pad. Microfiber pads are going to be the most aggressive pads from Adam's, so they will provide the most cut/correcting power. It can be used with any polish, but either the Orange CP (more aggressive than Orange CP and orange foam) or Blue HCC (most aggressive combo Adam's offers) will give the most results for correction. If it's never been corrected, you can almost bet the CP and orange pad will be the minimum, but that said...

As a general rule, start least aggressive first. For simplicity, that would be the White FP and white foam pad, then Orange CP and orange foam pad, Orange CP and blue/white microfiber pad, Blue HCC and blue foam pad, and finally Blue HCC and blue/white microfiber pad. Tape off (blue painters tape with NO locking edges works well) a 2'x2' section of best representative paint and polish it. If you get the results you want, continue with that combo over the rest of the car. If not, step it up a level and try again, and so on. There may be some places that require more, but it should be spot correction for the most part, if so. Note the HCC tends to leave a haze, so regardless of if/when that comes into play, be prepared to go back over the car or spots with CP and/or FP.

Don't forget to clay before you polish, and also remember to remove the polish residue with the Coating Prep and plush microfiber towel like the Double Soft.

Good luck...looking forward to seeing some pics (before and after preferred!).