Customer Service 866.965.0400

Unscented and Without Dyes

While I know that Adam loves his scented products and has used colors to simplify product usage, has making the products unscented and without dyes ever been considered?  Some of us suffer from allergies and/or are sensitive to scents.  Seems like a simple thing and would lower manufacturing costs.  Maybe I am the only one with a sensitive nose but it would help me.  Does anyone else think it might be a good idea?

I think the biggest thing with doing it is creating even more SKU's and storing basically double stock of existing product but without color/scent.  

They could probably do it for a few of their more popular items like Car Shampoo, Detail Spray and Interior Detailer but I don't see it being feasible for a lot/most of their products.  

That being said, I do understand where you are coming from and as someone who gets occasional eczema breakouts, can feel for ya'.

2 hours ago, Parad0x said:

I think the biggest thing with doing it is creating even more SKU's and storing basically double stock of existing product but without color/scent.  

They could probably do it for a few of their more popular items like Car Shampoo, Detail Spray and Interior Detailer but I don't see it being feasible for a lot/most of their products.  

That being said, I do understand where you are coming from and as someone who gets occasional eczema breakouts, can feel for ya'.

Another thing to consider is that these chemicals are not 'scent free' and often the added scent masks the chemical smell. I got an ozone generator off of Amazon and use that after detailing. Seems to wipe out everything...

I would really like less dye in the product.  The black friday red detail spray was the worst!  I liked the smell, but it turned the towels and my hands red.  I wish i would have bought more mystery spray.  The labels can be cool and colorful, but just make the liquid white.  I know...not going to happen...

My wife is extremely sensitive to any smells, and it will put her down for days.  We can't use things like Swiffer pads, Mr. Clean, anything with Gain scent, scented candles, etc. in our house.  Even certain shampoos and soaps. I think all companies should have unscented products available. 

11 hours ago, 85.5Pinin said:

While I know that Adam loves his scented products and has used colors to simplify product usage, has making the products unscented and without dyes ever been considered?  Some of us suffer from allergies and/or are sensitive to scents.  Seems like a simple thing and would lower manufacturing costs.  Maybe I am the only one with a sensitive nose but it would help me.  Does anyone else think it might be a good idea?

I have 11 yr old twins, and my daughter can't help wash or detail any of the cars.  She has very bad allergies to anything that is scented, I do understand the you rarely get anything without a scent, but with the added smells, it's hard.  When the family next door does laundry, my daughter can't be outside or have any if the house windows open.  It sucks, but it is what it is.

It's already been mentioned, but some of the chemicals unfortunately cannot be scentless, so the chemists mix in other smells to mask them. We do always try to come up with pleasant smells to work with, but allergies can always be a possibility. I've never had an issue with any of our chemicals, but pollen and fresh cut grass make my allergies go haywire 😵

Warehouse space is also a concern, as Parad0x mentioned - while we did move into a much larger facility a year ago now, it is filling up fast!

I will bring this topic up with Kyle for discussion and consideration though!

15 hours ago, SIM CAMARO said:

I would really like less dye in the product.  The black friday red detail spray was the worst!  I liked the smell, but it turned the towels and my hands red.  I wish i would have bought more mystery spray.  The labels can be cool and colorful, but just make the liquid white.  I know...not going to happen...

This is why I always wear gloves.

Thanks Dan.  Space is space and physics rules there but it would add 15 SKUs or so.  That is nothing to manage.  I know.  Our little company has hundreds.  The cost to do it is minimal and might create a whole new market for you.  I did not explain myself correctly in my first comment.  I understand that some chemicals have their own natural scent and colors.  There is nothing that one can do about that.  What I am referring to is that Adam’s adds it’s own fragrance and coloring to the chemicals.  That is the part that I would eliminate or reduce dramatically.  The Detail Spray has become so bad now that one must shower to remove it if it is used outside in any sort of gentle breeze.  There have been many times after wiping down the car during a sale of show that I smell of detail spray.  Thankfully I don’t use the coffee or pumpkin spice varieties.   Not good for the person sitting next to you at dinner afterward.   It dyes one’s hands pink and the it is difficult to get out of the towels.  Several other products are that way too.  It is not a major deal to some but to others it is a huge deal.  Anyway, I am a very long term, very satisfied user of Adams products and I have heard this same thing from many others.  Scent and color is not one’s primary criteria for one buying high end detailing products.  Instead of spending money on dyes a scents, I think the money might be better spent on the chemicals that matter as it relates to results.  Focus on the results and core business.

Hi Jeffrey, I certainly understand where you're coming from, but we have over 35 SKU's in just gallon and 5 gallon products alone. Then add in 4oz, 8oz and 16oz bottles and we have over 100 SKU's in just chemicals. Our production line is already full on one side with cases of 8oz, 16oz, and gallon boxes that the shippers pull from, so adding double the products would add confusion there and slow up bottle filling and production schedules as well. 

One of the main reasons for color and scent of the products is that the overwhelming majority of our customers love that they can identify a specific product by color or scent, quickly pulling it off of a cart or shelf even if the label isn't visible, so it's a convenience factor and more enjoyable detailing experience for most. The majority of R&D costs go into actual chemical testing and results, as we do focus on what matters - excellent results with minimal effort. I have at least a dozen prototype and test bottles of product here that have little or no scent - the smell and color are sometimes decided fairly late in the game of the development process, so please don't think we're sacrificing performance or innovation at the cost of smells and colors :)

I've had my hands and towels turn blue from Revive and Rinseless Wash, pink from Detail Spray, orange from Correcting Polish, yellow from Buttery Wax - you name it...sure it's a little annoying but some soap and detergent usually makes things good as new. If my towels end up with some staining, then I can easily identify which towels I used for what, so I continue using them for that particular product. If the Detail Spray smell is sticking around too much during use, you could try spraying directly into a Borderless Gray Plush Towel and then wiping the surface, to minimize how much is getting onto your clothes and into the air.

Again I do apologize for the inconvenience, and I will pass this along, but I can't make any promises at this time that we would be able to fulfill this request.

2 hours ago, Dan@Adams said:

I've had my hands and towels turn blue from Revive and Rinseless Wash, pink from Detail Spray, orange from Correcting Polish, yellow from Buttery Wax 

This is exactly why I use black nitrile gloves when I wash my car. First time I used Rinseless I was too excited and went barehanded. My hands end up super dry and chapped. I have sensitive skin that didn’t help at all 😢 since then I apply moisturizer then put on nitrile gloves(powder free). 

100 gloves is ~$15 for the quality thicker black nitrile gloves 

For my wife the exterior items don't linger and they have never caused her a problem.  However, I have to be very careful with the Interior Detailer and I've tried several different scents of it.  From the same point, it may not be the added scents, given that the Leather Conditioner does not bother her at all.  It may very well be the chemicals themselves that make up Interior Detailer, I just can't say for certain.

If there was one chemical we could get without a scent or as light a scent as possible, it would be the Interior Detailer. I would give that a try and then I think we'd know whether or not it is the base chemicals vs the added scent.  For now what I do is use minimal amounts of Interior Detailer and use Leather Condition on every surface possible, which works great on dashes, door panels, seats, etc., but the cost does add up quickly.