Customer Service 866.965.0400

Can I put Buttery Wax over Zaino's and or C-Magic?

Angelo

Question

Before I make a mess that will take hours to fix.  Need to know if I can put Buttery wax over Zaino's (C-Magic is same formula) or if I need to remove all of the old polish?  I had a horrible time once when I put McGuire's detail spray on top of Zaino's.  It hazed and would only smear around.  Called Zainos...Sal actually answered and said it needed to use Z-6 to pull it off.  He said carnauba only "floats" over the surface.. Good news, it came off.

So is it okay or do I need to strip off the old Zaino's?

Edited by Angelo

6 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, Angelo said:

Before I make a mess that will take hours to fix.  Need to know if I can put Buttery wax over Zaino's (C-Magic is same formula) or if I need to remove all of the old polish?  I had a horrible time once when I put McGuire's detail spray on top of Zaino's.  It hazed and would only smear around.  Called Zainos...Sal actually answered and said it needed to use Z-6 to pull it off.  He said carnauba only "floats" over the surface.. Good news, it came off.

So is it okay or do I need to strip off the old Zaino's?

Two ways to approach this... 'could' you or 'should' you. Since BW is pretty short term it's not going to hurt anything. Depending on it's quality the ceramic is going to resist the wax. (that what 'floats' means)

That said the best advice I've received is to keep polymer products with polymer products. You'd be better off to use Ceramic Boost or Ceramic Wax.

2 hours ago, Angelo said:

Thanks DaleH.  I might be getting some Ceramic wax then.

2 hours ago, falcaineer said:

You should! Great product! Just remember to work panel by panel as removing it can be a bit harder if left for too long.

@DaleH made a good recommendation with products and I've used both.  CB and CW work well with or without having the vehicle coated.   @falcaineer also noted about going panel by panel and that is an absolute recommendation.  In addition, thinner is better and much easier to work with.  It took me a couple of panels to figure out how thin to apply the wax or boost.  For the wax, I found that a 1/2 turn of the pad in the container was plenty of wax to do a panel.  The hood was done with a 1/2 turn on each side. 

A couple other things I've found with CW: don't keep it your hand, it warms the wax up too much.  Close the container between panels and absolutely keep it out of the sun.   When I started a panel, I set the timer on my phone for 5 minutes, it would take about 2 minutes to put the wax on the panel and that would let it set for about 3 minutes and then I'd start taking it off by start at the same point I starting putting it on.  Trust me, your arms will appreciate the break and as long you use thin coats, it isn't too much effort to take the wax off.  

The results are outstanding if you do the prep and take your time.  Please ignore the headlights in the picture the vendor sent the wrongs ones so they had not been replaced when the picture was taken.   I have used Spray Wax, Buttery, Americana and Ceramic wax and without a doubt the top end is the Ceramic Wax.   They all have their place, but I would not consider putting anything other than CB or CW on a coated vehicle and anything that warrants that extra cost (wife's car) will get CW.

IMG_0286.jpeg