Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ceramic Coating Kit vs the Spray

vcordaro

Question

I am wondering the difference between using the Ceramic Spray and using the actual kit.  I was planning on going with the Kit, but do you get the exact same results with the spray?

Just curious of the pros and cons of one way vs. another.

Thanks in advance !

Found my own answers.. Seems to be based on the life expectancy of the coating..

Edited by vcordaro

5 answers to this question

And ease of application, difference in cure time.  Prep is basically the same for either. 

I have been been wanting to do the full coating myself but jumped on the ceramic coating spray when it was released. I use my truck everyday and weather is not always cooperative. And even if the weather during the day cooperates, the am dew doesn’t help. 

So having the spray..... for me..... is a game changer. Yes.. Life expectancy is less and I have to apply 2-3 times a year.. and even though it’s a 9h rating, it’s not as “thick and durable” as the full coating, it will help a lot for me. 

I am am going to tag a few that might have more and certainly better info. 

@shane@detailedreflections, @falcaineer, @Dan@Adams

Edited by Firebuff17

Thanks @Firebuff17  hopefully we see you at the clinic in May!

And for the question, the ceramic spray is an easier installation than a full coating in terms of spray on/wipe off. The results will be varied by the prep as always. The glossiness of a coating isn’t necessarily the coating as much as the polishing and prep leading up to it. I could show you cars with no protection that are polished really well that you might think were coated (until you put water on them). The coatings just enhance that look. 

This is just my opinion, so take it for what it’s worth. The ceramic spray would be a great alternative to the ceramic boost or ceramic wax that’s easy to apply and durable. It’s not a replacement for a full coating. If you’re going to do all the prep work anyway, why not get the durability of a full coating and top it with the spray coating as a “sacrificial” layer that will all you maximum protection of the look you worked to achieve?

Your mileage may vary. 

Thanks for the kind words/confidence, @Firebuff17, but I must admit I go directly to both of those guys for advice myself!

Both you and @shane@detailedreflections said it well, and it looks like Vince already found an answer, so I'll try to summarize my  views a different way for others reading:

Traditional Ceramic (Paint) Coating

Pros

Longevity (2yr+)

Durability ("ream of paper")

Can be removed by polishing

One coat provides max performance

Awesome shine

Cons

Care to apply/longer application method

Cost ($110/50ml); one 50ml bottle covers 1-2 average-size cars = ~$50-100 per coating

24-48 hour cure time

Towels and applicator(s) must be thrown out

Ceramic Spray Coating

Pros

Application method/applies quickly

Cost ($70/16oz); one 16oz bottle covers 6-8 average-size cars = ~$10/coating

4 hour cure time

Towels and applicator(s) can be reused if washed immediately

Can be removed by polishing

Awesome shine

Cons

Longevity (6-8 months)

Durability ("sheet of paper")

Requires two coats to add additional performance

@falcaineer Thank you for the write up, I keep getting closer to ordering the Spray Coating.

I just want to see the results of the Spray Coating on a Red car and I suspect it might be one of mine or maybe the daughters Range Rover when the wax wears off.  I'll also admit that after putting the Ceramic Wax on the Mustang, I am beyond impressed with those results. 

Here's a challenge if anyone has a test panel available and the products.  Can you do 1/2 with Ceramic Wax and 1/2 with Ceramic Spray and post the results?

Edited by RayS