Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detailers in Winter Climates.......

TheMorningRise

Question

Just curious about those who have detailing businesses (preferably full time) in areas that have Winter climates (such as the upper Midwest or New England areas).  

Are you able to generate enough business during the nicer months to sustain you through the winter months?

Do you see business/people wanting work done in the winter months?

Just looking for a little insight.

Thank You.

3 answers to this question

We are an appointment only business model since myself and the guys who work for me have full time jobs. Last winter, we were sitting around cracking beers and cleaning shop with doing a fair amount of interiors. 

This year, we haven’t slowed down at all. It’s been a steady flow of work. Surprisingly we have done a bunch of ceramic coatings this winter. We’ve also been doing some PPF work. And in the midst of all that, we crush it with the interiors. 

A big part of winter sustainability is if you have clients or customers. Clients have a consistent relationship and return often versus a customer who comes in once. We have clients who come in like clockwork. Have enough of those and build those relationships and you’ll have work. 

Stay prepared for the slow times though. They will come, even in the “good” months. Spring and fall are our busiest times.

48 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

We are an appointment only business model since myself and the guys who work for me have full time jobs. Last winter, we were sitting around cracking beers and cleaning shop with doing a fair amount of interiors. 

This year, we haven’t slowed down at all. It’s been a steady flow of work. Surprisingly we have done a bunch of ceramic coatings this winter. We’ve also been doing some PPF work. And in the midst of all that, we crush it with the interiors. 

A big part of winter sustainability is if you have clients or customers. Clients have a consistent relationship and return often versus a customer who comes in once. We have clients who come in like clockwork. Have enough of those and build those relationships and you’ll have work. 

Stay prepared for the slow times though. They will come, even in the “good” months. Spring and fall are our busiest times.

If you do not mind my asking........

You say you all have other jobs.  Is that due to the detailing business not being enough to sustain you or because you choose to?

19 minutes ago, TheMorningRise said:

If you do not mind my asking........

You say you all have other jobs.  Is that due to the detailing business not being enough to sustain you or because you choose to?

I had my career long before my business. Since I enjoy my career, I’m not looking to leave it. It also affords me the ability to run my business as I see fit since I don’t “depend” on it for my sole income. I don’t have to get into pricing wars if I don’t want to. I own the business and have two guys who work for me. One regularly, one when we need it.

Since I have my benefits through my career, it’s a cost savings for my business as well. 

If I were doing it full time, there’s some things I would do differently. But I’d be hedging my bets in hopes of a significant payoff in personal income.