Customer Service 866.965.0400

2 months since HGG, what now?

LuckyKorean

Question

I guess it’s been about two months since I started learning and detailing. 

Back in early January I decontaminated my car with IR and Clay. Afterwards I did RW and applied HGG on the same day. 

A week later I applied Americana, not sure how great it applied. First time using wax and it was cold, I applied it thick. 

Now it’s been almost 2 months, I feel my car is still beading and water goes flying off when I drive but it doesn’t feel anywhere as slick as it did the day I decontaminated and applied HGG. I don’t know how long the HGG Americana combo lasts in the winter in Southern US, it hasn’t snowed here yet, couple days saw below 20°F. I washed my car using RW about every week. 

I’m posting this thread to get some suggestions and ask some questions about what to do next. 

With spring coming soon I’m thinking of applying another layer of product which raises the first question. 

1. Assuming 3 months after HGG + Americana, should I strip wash then apply Last step product or should I strip wash and clay bar then apply Last step product? 

This question has been bugging me for awhile. I read it’s normal to clay before applying a layer of product but I also read we supposedly only clay 1-2 times a year. 

On the Clear MB a purchase I scored a CB and SW which gives me 4 options now compared to previous 2! I’ll be honest here, applying HGG was super easy compared to Americana but using a damp towel and dry towel was kind of bothersome and it wasn’t as satisfying as applying paste wax and wiping it off. As for CB I been reading other threads about how it streaks and it’s frustrating to work with but it doesn’t require water like HGG. My car is not ceramic coated and I don’t plan on coating yet because I’m not confident in polishing my car yet, hopefully I will later this year. 

2. Which product lasts the longest on daily driver, HGG, CB, or Americana? 

3. If I don’t mind applying Americana would it be enough to apply Americana alone every 3 months while using Spray Wax as drying aid when washing? 

For some reason I’m shying away from Ceramics. I think it might be because my car isn’t coated yet or polished. 

I’m thinking I should try my luck trading the CB away in Garage sales. 

Edited by LuckyKorean

8 answers to this question

45 minutes ago, Rich said:

You put the Americana on after the G&G?  I put the wax on first, then maintain it with the G&G every three washes.  

Yeah I thought sealant goes on first to bond to paint and didn’t have Americana when I applied HGG. How does it work for you if you apply HGG every three washes? Do you strip wash every 3rd or? 

10 hours ago, LuckyKorean said:

Yeah I thought sealant goes on first to bond to paint and didn’t have Americana when I applied HGG. How does it work for you if you apply HGG every three washes? Do you strip wash every 3rd or? 

No HGG is a supplemental protectant.  I generally do PS, BW or Americana, and then every few washes apply HGG.  It just add longevity to the main sealant/waxes that washing and daily use remove.

3 hours ago, dirtymarcus said:

No HGG is a supplemental protectant.  I generally do PS, BW or Americana, and then every few washes apply HGG.  It just add longevity to the main sealant/waxes that washing and daily use remove.

To clarify, HGG is a supplement as well as a stand-alone protection product. 

13 hours ago, LuckyKorean said:

PS does go on first to bond properly, and it's normal and recommended to clay before you apply it. It's also recommended to clay before HGG if used as a stand-alone.

I've had awesome success with PS as my base, and HGG every few washes. I do not strip wash it except before I plan to do a full correction and/or reapply PS.

HGG will last 3-6 months depending on conditions, whereas American may last a month or two. BW even less. If you have a dark color car and it sits in hot sun, wax can dissipate in days or less...surface temps can have a dramatic effect as the caranuba reaches a boiling point. 

Here's a good video from Adam on some product differences between HGG, Ceramic Boost, Spray Wax and DS (watch to the end).

17 hours ago, LuckyKorean said:

2. Which product lasts the longest on daily driver, HGG, CB, or Americana? 

HGG and Ceramic Boost will last about the same, 3-6 months. Americana a month or two, depending on conditions.

17 hours ago, LuckyKorean said:

. If I don’t mind applying Americana would it be enough to apply Americana alone every 3 months while using Spray Wax as drying aid when washing?

All depends on conditions since the wax can dissipate quickly, as mentioned above.

Recommend you read this for more:

On 2/23/2019 at 7:55 PM, LuckyKorean said:

1. Assuming 3 months after HGG + Americana, should I strip wash then apply Last step product or should I strip wash and clay bar then apply Last step product? 

This question has been bugging me for awhile. I read it’s normal to clay before applying a layer of product but I also read we supposedly only clay 1-2 times a year. 

Only clay if the car needs it.  Do the baggie test - on a clean section rub the paint with your fingers, next place your hand inside a plastic bag (shopping bag, ziploc, what every you have available) and rub the same section.  If the surface is not smooth, then it needs to be clayed.

10 hours ago, mc2hill said:

Only clay if the car needs it.  Do the baggie test - on a clean section rub the paint with your fingers, next place your hand inside a plastic bag (shopping bag, ziploc, what every you have available) and rub the same section.  If the surface is not smooth, then it needs to be clayed.

It didn’t feel smooth last time I tried it(after HGG was applied). Maybe I need to strip it off first. 

I washed my car and applied Spray Wax today, it felt slick again but didn’t try bag test.