Customer Service 866.965.0400

What can I use as a topper for h2o Guard & Gloss??

JoeV

Question

I applied H2O Guard & Gloss on my truck about a month ago. I’m about to wash it again and was wondering what I can use as a topper or if should not apply anything & just dry it normally?

13 answers to this question

So @buffalobob920 and I replied at exactly the same time, and I'll chime in again briefly. Spray Wax and HGG are in different product families...carnuba vs acrylic resin (with some SiO2)...I would recommend staying in the same family and continue with the HGG every few washes. Mixing can adversely affect hydrophobic properties of each other. Nothing wrong with trying the Spray Wax, but the HGG is just fine by itself. 

Here's more on product differences and layering, and why I make the recommendation I do...

Thanks everyone! It was my first time washing a vehicle that was previously washed with G&G. I know that Adam’s recommends to reapply G&G every 3rd or 4th wash. I went ahead & did not use any drying aid & dried the vehicle with the double soft plush towels. It was difficult to dry without using anything obviously. I sometimes find myself taking too long to dry the vehicle & notice water spots. Anything you guys recommended to help with this or any tips? Thanks in advance !   

Use a spray or two of Detail spray per panel as your drying. Helps shed water, adds shine, and a layer of extra protection between the towel and the surface of the paint. 

My old old regiment was paint sealant about twice a year, G&G every couple of washes, and detail spray when I wasn’t using G&G. 

Edited by Firebuff17

My strong recommendation is to get the Ultra Plush Drying towel and don't look back. The Double Softs that you're using aren't meant to dry and so won't give optimal results, possibly leading to streaks, spots, etc. On the other hand, the Ultra Plush is an awesome drying towel...best I've ever used...soaks up a ton of water, and is a breeze to use. Adding DS each wash will help, too, and not cause any issues with build up, etc.

https://adamspolishes.com/adam-s-ultra-plush-drying-towel.html

Another option I have but haven't tried yet is the Jumbo Grey drying towel.

I have to agree with @falcaineer on this one.  I used the Great White, which are excellent towels, and then was told by Chris about the Ultra Plush and now it is the only towel that gets used for drying the wife's car.    And the Jumbo Grey works great, but gets very heavy with the amount of water it can soak up.  I lay it across the hood of my truck and then lift it off and it pretty much takes care of the entire hood.

On 3/6/2019 at 4:33 PM, RayS said:

I have to agree with @falcaineer on this one.  I used the Great White, which are excellent towels, and then was told by Chris about the Ultra Plush and now it is the only towel that gets used for drying the wife's car.    And the Jumbo Grey works great, but gets very heavy with the amount of water it can soak up.  I lay it across the hood of my truck and then lift it off and it pretty much takes care of the entire hood.

Ultra plush plus Detail spray to dry in between G&G makes things super easy. I've tried a handful of other 'drying aids' from other brands this spring/summer and nothing is easier/faster for a streak free/water spot free maintenance wash. 

I've also tried a handful of other spray sealants and G&G still shines the best. And this is the old formula! I still have another 16oz bottle of the old before I can get some of the new version. 

On 7/10/2019 at 12:00 PM, SS LeadFoot said:

I use a leaf blower then follow it up with a wipe down with detail spray.

Same here. I purchased a cheap leaf blower I use exclusively for blow drying the car. The last thing I want to do is introduce sand into the blower mechanism. It was a cheap $60 and light weight. Works perfect. I got into the habit of NOT touching the surface of the car as much as possible to make sure I wasn't adding swirl marks. I just received my new Ultra Plush Drying Towel in my Mystery Trunk Organizer. It's been raining here in Central Florida every day this past week and I haven't had a chance to wash the car and use it. I can't wait to give a go.