Customer Service 866.965.0400

PPF Install Time Lapse

shane@detailedreflections

Question

I know some people here are interested in some PPF and have asked questions about it so while working on a gorgeous 2015 Chevy Corvette Z06 with a Z07 package (silver with a red interior), I figured I'd make a quick time lapse of installing a piece of film.  We still have more film to install on this car, but this was just one piece to kind of show the process for how PPF is laid down after it's been cut.

And yes, at one point I completely removed the film and put it back down.  I wasn't happy with an edge alignment and that it would let me work all of the water out of the edge to get a good adhesion without it lifting back up immediately creating fingers, or later in life when it would come back to me.  

Once this car is done, it'll be coated in ceramic.  The wheels are already done, the windshield is already done as well and it's all been polished out.  

Hopefully you enjoy and don't hesitate to ask questions.

2 answers to this question

Thank you for sharing this Shane.  I do have a couple of question as it relates to Coating and PPF.   

Since PPF can be removed and replaced if it gets damaged without much difficulty when it isn't coated.  I am curious as to what the coating does to the relative ease of working work with uncoated PPF.   would that allow you to repair a section of coating that got damaged by cutting out the PPF and replacing it?   Taking if from another angle, we all know the way doors get beat up.  If a door has PPF and then a coating, would you just remove the PPF, reapply PPF and then recoat the door? 

Specific to headlights, which is where I have more experience with PPF.  I have found that every 2-4 years for daily drivers, replacing the PPF on the headlights keeps them clear and looking good.  Have you used PPF and then coated the headlights and if so, what is your recommendation for a daily driver - I'd like to get 7-10 years if possible 

Some good questions @RayS!  Let’s take them in order. 

Coated PPF will remove just like standard PPF. If we were doing a PPF replacement that’s been coated, honestly we would polish down the entire panel, remove the film, reinstall and then reapply the coating. Reapplying to the entire panel will ensure it’s a nice, even look.  By removing the PPF and taking the whole panel down, you also alleviate the need to exactly line up the film as it was. Different patterns, installation, etc can change alignment. As you saw in the time lapse, I even peeled it once to make it align better to where I wanted. 

Headlights are hard on PPF. It’s a combination of the heat and light causing a breakdown. Newer films are guaranteed against yellowing, but I don’t think I’d realistically expect that out headlight films honestly. I’m a realist and try not to sell our clients on snake oil claims.

There are now some coatings specific to films. Our supplier just released one, but it’s claimed at two years on films (this includes wraps). It’s just a bit more flexible of a coating. We don’t plan to use much of that, we will keep to business as usual for better durability.