Customer Service 866.965.0400

Glass sealant on old windshield

DCRANER

Question

Hello. On my 1964 Impala SS windshield. Has no scratches that would catch a fingernail. I clayed and then polished with cerium oxide and rotary buffer. Took about 3 hours and came out quite well, dingy gray and wiper streaks from years about 95% gone. Then cleaned with an IPA solution I made. So, squeaky clean and as very old there are more pores in the glass than new glass. But I just want to preserve the original windshield. 

So, I then did the Adams Glass Sealer and it brightened it up slightly more. My questions are:

* Would a second application improve the sealing of the pores? 

* Aside from cleaning the wiper blades (NOS blades from 1964) with Adam's glass cleaner should I coat the blades with VRT or the Glass Sealer?

* After application what do I clean the Adam's application pad with?

Thanks. Doug 

1 answer to this question

On 3/13/2019 at 7:59 PM, DCRANER said:

Hello. On my 1964 Impala SS windshield. Has no scratches that would catch a fingernail. I clayed and then polished with cerium oxide and rotary buffer. Took about 3 hours and came out quite well, dingy gray and wiper streaks from years about 95% gone. Then cleaned with an IPA solution I made. So, squeaky clean and as very old there are more pores in the glass than new glass. But I just want to preserve the original windshield. 

So, I then did the Adams Glass Sealer and it brightened it up slightly more. My questions are:

* Would a second application improve the sealing of the pores? 

* Aside from cleaning the wiper blades (NOS blades from 1964) with Adam's glass cleaner should I coat the blades with VRT or the Glass Sealer?

* After application what do I clean the Adam's application pad with?

Thanks. Doug 

One coating of glass sealant would be enough. I would leave the wiper blades alone. Clean your pad with whatever detergent you use to clean your microfiber with.