Customer Service 866.965.0400

Tonneau Cover

rsbhd

Question

I have seen a lot of products for interior use on the vinyl but I have never seen anything for a soft top cover for the bed of a truck. I have tried Murphy's oil soap to help keep it soft but this is my daily driver and it sits outside in the sun all the time and has sort of lost some of its new shine and blackness. What would be the best product to use to restore this to like new condition?

9 answers to this question

VRT is made for vinyl, rubber, and trim so it would be the answer. Most people I know used wax on theirs to keep it nice.  I like Chris' idea of the Ceramic Spray Coating too.  Something I hadn't considered. 

13 hours ago, falcaineer said:

Some pics would help to see overall condition. But overall, VRT is a great short-term option, and the Ceramic Spray Coating would be an awesome longer-term choice, too, based on initial info.

https://adamspolishes.com/ceramic-spray-coating.html

Thanks Chris, I have used the VRT on the trim of my truck to get the black plastic looking new again and never thought to put that on the cover. I have read about soft tops and to be careful with what you put on them since they are supposed to breath and some products don't allow the cover to do that. I will have to order some Ceramic Coating the next time I place an order but will it rainbow like it does on the paint to let you know it is dry?

I'm a VRT guy for my tonneau cover as well but use it in a diluted form so I can spray it on and wipe off the excess.  Use about 30% product to 70% distilled water in a 16oz bottle.  You probably can get away with less VRT and more water, but I like the results I get so I've just stuck with it.

Ceramic Spray gets my vote too.

-Extremely easy to use  -Adds extreme gloss, shine, and depth  -Super-slick, hydrophobic properties  -Add 6-8 months of ceramic protection in minutes -Fast 1-2 minute flash time, few hours total cure time  -Safe on all painted surfaces, glass, headlights, tonneau covers, soft tops, chrome, trim, wheels, & bed liners

7 hours ago, rsbhd said:

Thanks Chris, I have used the VRT on the trim of my truck to get the black plastic looking new again and never thought to put that on the cover. I have read about soft tops and to be careful with what you put on them since they are supposed to breath and some products don't allow the cover to do that. I will have to order some Ceramic Coating the next time I place an order but will it rainbow like it does on the paint to let you know it is dry?

Sure thing, Ron. @Chris@Adams has you covered above for using the spray coating. Pretty sure no wiping off required. Good luck, and post some pics when done!

Edited by falcaineer

I did try VRT and it has it places, such as the air dam and some other locations.  I was not as impressed on some of the other places I used it such as the toneau cover, so I am selective on where I use it.  However, I have used Leather Conditioner on my black toneau cover and tan hot tub cover with good results.  Both were left with a soft feel, not slippery, yet nothing seems to stick either - not even bird bombs. 

Increasing longevity would be nice, if I could get more than two months between conditioning, I'd be happy.   I'm rather intrigued by the idea of conditioning the surface with Leather Conditioner, since it makes both look gorgeous, and then topping it with Ceramic Spray.   Leather Conditioner is another product like Brilliant Glaze, it has many more places that it can be used than most people think of:  Dash, Office chair, Covers (Grill, Toneau, Hot Tub, Golf Bag, Golf Shoes, Golf Club Head Covers, etc..)