Customer Service 866.965.0400
Sign in to follow this  
67's

Carpet road salt

Question

Anyone have a really good method to remove the crusty salt from drivers side carpets? while i havent been driving from surgery, my wife missed a couple of cleaning trips, Now I need to remove the salt where she missed the Weathertech mats.

15 answers to this question

If you don’t have the extractor or steamer, you can get good results with vinegar and distilled water.  I had great results with the situation below.  I think it mixed it 50/50 for the salt crust below (I posted it somewhere on here.  I’ll edit here when I find it.).  It was a matter of soaking and blotting/wiping repeatedly. 

9F35856A-FA0B-4BEA-9CAB-3DC53B56A7B5.jpeg

27376649-08FD-4C2B-BEC1-E114507D9924.jpeg

72654830-CA89-4AF1-B5EF-E0844CE1CF5C.jpeg

38 minutes ago, 8675309'SS said:

If you don’t have the extractor or steamer, you can get good results with vinegar and distilled water.  I had great results with the situation below.  I think it mixed it 50/50 for the salt crust below (I posted it somewhere on here.  I’ll edit here when I find it.).  It was a matter of soaking and blotting/wiping repeatedly. 

9F35856A-FA0B-4BEA-9CAB-3DC53B56A7B5.jpeg

27376649-08FD-4C2B-BEC1-E114507D9924.jpeg

72654830-CA89-4AF1-B5EF-E0844CE1CF5C.jpeg

Found it, Jen...you were right...

22 minutes ago, 67's said:

Thanks for the replys and info, will the CUC work?

I'd try the method above. I think the CUC is a saline-based product, so using it on salt is counterintuitive. 

You guys beat me to it.  White vinegar and water. I don't know about distilled water, what the difference is.  But it will work.   Soak it good, let it dry, use a brush to loosen the junk, then vacuum.  After that, if you need to use Carpet Cleaner to clean the whole rug (if you get a light spot from the cleaned area) then do it up. 

This is perfect timing as I was just looking for an answer to this question as well.

I can confirm that the vinegar/distilled water method worked for me.  The vinegar smell is strong though.

9 hours ago, Thrawn said:

I can confirm that the vinegar/distilled water method worked for me.  The vinegar smell is strong though.

That's what Odor Neutralizer is for 😁...

1. You used WHITE vinegar didn't you?  And sprinkle baby powder or baking soda over it overnight and vacuum it up in the morning.  That'll take care of the smell.  

Yes, I used white vinegar.  I don't have any odor neutralizer but the febreeze I had didn't work.  I'll try the baking soda next.