Customer Service 866.965.0400

"Detailing" laptops?

vollychief

I acquired 7 Panasonic Toughbooks for my fire department.  The Toughbooks are pretty dirty.  Some is dirt in general, some is scotch tape and other adhesives.  Any suggestions on what products to use to clean the Toughbooks up?  Especially to remove the adhesive.

Thank you for your help!

I get laptops and computers that I recondition and donate to students in need.  I've found a little WD-40 followed by Waterless Wash and Interior Detail spray will make it look like new and smell good.  The GooGone tends to be a little harsh on many of the laptop boxes and APC will leave some residue that takes a bit more work with WW to get evened out. 

For the sticky spaces, just put some WD-40 on a cheap cloth and then rub the area.  You shouldn't need much force, but you may need to do it two or three times according to thickness of the sticky stuff and roughness of the case.  Packing tape used to cover a business card, especially gorilla tape that has been on there for a few years is usually the worst to get off.  Don't be afraid to use a plastic razor blade with WD-40 or WW as the lube if you find something really stuck on there.

Once the sticky stuff is gone, I do the entire case and keyboard with Waterless Wash and using a Waterless Wash towel, always spraying WW on the towel and then wipe the area.  The screen gets two cleanings, first with Glass Cleaner spraying the towel and wiping the screen and then with Brilliant Glaze.   Finally, I go over the entire case and keyboard with Interior Detailer, spraying the towel and wiping it down.   The interior brush works good for getting between the keys and if you don't have one of them, a real soft 1/2 inch paint brush works.

The most difficult place is where the screen closes and for that I use Interior Detailing Swabs as they tend to fit in there perfect - I wish I had of found them 10 years ago just for this purpose.

Since I am a Mac person, the cleaning technique for a Mac is a bit easier with the standard, slick case.  Pre-2017 with the illuminated Apple on the back, all I ever needed was Interior Detailer and then GC and BG on the screen.  2017 and newer Mac's react better to WW for the body and then the screen still does good with GC and BG.   

On some Pre-Retina Display Macs where you see the keyboard marks on the screen, they will clean up with GC, but you also have to clean the keys.  The marks aren't indents, they are the dirt and oils from your fingers that are sticking to the screen. 

Following these steps, the systems come out looking new, minus any real abuse, and there is no residue left over that is sticky.   For those who dilute Rinseless Wash to make your WW - I cannot confirm whether or not that works the same, since I have never tried it.

Thank you for the replies!  It looks like I need to place an order soon.  Hopefully the shipping time will give me enough time to figure out how to explain to my wife why I'm using car detailing products on computers.  Although we are getting to the point in our marriage she doesn't ask as much.  Just looks, shakes her head and moves on.  🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, vollychief said:

Although we are getting to the point in our marriage she doesn't ask as much.

The level after that is when she starts asking you why you didn't the Pumpkin Spice kit while it was on the Flash sale...

5 hours ago, DaleH said:

The level after that is when she starts asking you why you didn't the Pumpkin Spice kit while it was on the Flash sale...

She doesn't know about the Pumpkin Spice.  Not yet anyway. 

But, I will be a freakin' hero if I remember to get the odor neutralizer to use in the boys' shoes.  And maybe the oldest's room. 

13 hours ago, DaleH said:

Being a hero is fun, but I almost cried when we were standing in BestBuy looking at TV's and she said "are you sure this one is big enough?"

Oh, that can be taken so many ways...  Maybe she was buttering you up for a different purchase.