Customer Service 866.965.0400

Layering

Jberlen

Question

I am about to paint correct my fiances truck soon and want to know the best product combo. I know to do the following in these steps: 

Strip wash 

iron remover 

clay bar 

heavy compound as needed 

correcting polish 

finishing polish 

paint sealant

Here is where i am not sure, do i go: 

brilliant glaze 

Americana wax 

then h20 g&g

or 

skip brilliant glaze and go straight to Americana and g&g?  

Here is a picture of everything I currently have to work with. 

56157693_10219180761213929_3770533007266414592_n.jpg.5d7398aff1b85e63eca112aad2d991b5.jpg

One tip on process is I'd recommend a wipe down with either Coating/Surface Prep or 50/50 isopropyl alcohol after you polish. The other is to start with and tape off (blue painters tape...NO lokcing edges) a 2'x2' section representative of most of the car (hood is most common) and with least aggressive polish first. You may be able to get by with just the CP, for example. 

For layering, the general rule is apply most durable product first, which is the Paint Sealant (and what you're doing). Some like to use BG before PS, but that's not my preference as sealants work best when they have a naked surface to bond. I'd then recommend HGG, Americana and finally, BG. But frankly, just Paint Sealant could suffice for now. HGG every 3-4 washes, Americana as you wish, maybe monthly, and BG just to show off 😎.

Read this for more on product differences and on layering:

Good luck, and post some pics when you're done!

Thanks, I will make sure I take pictures before and after, I am also doing my mustang and know I need the heavy correcting compound in some areas on that due to some heavy scratches. I am also not worried about ruining the paint because the whole car needs to be repainted. The previous owner didn't care for it to well and it has missing paint on the hood and edges of the door, handle, and the bumper has some nasty chips so figure I may work out some techniques on that paint. 

I also just realized I never ordered Adams finishing polish... all I have is polish and seal by stoner which I never used and not sure if I want to, I have no experience with it but bought it from a detailing store that was closing a couple of years ago. 

6 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

If you can catch your fingernail on a scratch, even the HCC probably won't get it all the way out. bTW, Americana on that yellow will look incredible! What color is your fiance's?

My fiances truck is Kodiak brown it looks black during the day brown at night and is a metallic flake paint. I am sure it will look awesome once done. 

The scratches I was the heavy correcting for are not deep enough to catch my nail but still bad enough that turtle wax swirl remover did not remove them a few months ago, that was before I learned of Adams products. 

I also need to get some ceramic coat for the new top on the Mustang unless I can use the ceramic boost to protect it. 

1 hour ago, Jberlen said:

I am about to paint correct my fiances truck soon and want to know the best product combo. I know to do the following in these steps: 

Strip wash 

iron remover 

clay bar 

heavy compound as needed 

correcting polish 

finishing polish 

paint sealant

Here is where i am not sure, do i go: 

brilliant glaze 

Americana wax 

then h20 g&g

or 

skip brilliant glaze and go straight to Americana and g&g?  

Here is a picture of everything I currently have to work with. 

56157693_10219180761213929_3770533007266414592_n.jpg.5d7398aff1b85e63eca112aad2d991b5.jpg

A lot don't agree on laying down BG before PS however I do it all the time and I haven't noticed it effecting the longevity of the PS.

You can use H20 every 3 or 4 washes that will help prolong the life of your PS.

3 minutes ago, Chris@Adams said:

A lot don't agree on laying down BG before PS however I do it all the time and I haven't noticed it effecting the longevity of the PS.

You can use H20 every 3 or 4 washes that will help prolong the life of your PS.

Thanks, I was thinking PS, BG, Americana. But I just realized I didn't order Finishing Polish on my last order :( Might need to wait till next month as I spent a lot of money over the last month on Adams products and I am supposed to be paying for a wedding... I don't think my fiance would be happy if I missed a payment on our venue for polis because let's be honest you cant just order one thing when you make an order for Adams, you always add extras lol. 

3 minutes ago, Jberlen said:

Thanks, I was thinking PS, BG, Americana. But I just realized I didn't order Finishing Polish on my last order :( Might need to wait till next month as I spent a lot of money over the last month on Adams products and I am supposed to be paying for a wedding... I don't think my fiance would be happy if I missed a payment on our venue for polis because let's be honest you cant just order one thing when you make an order for Adams, you always add extras lol. 

Depending on color and clear you may not need FP, some clears finish down just fine with CP & Orange pad.

5 minutes ago, Chris@Adams said:

Depending on color and clear you may not need FP, some clears finish down just fine with CP & Orange pad.

Kodiak Brow n f150 and Screaming Yellow Mus tang 

19990449_10214011443344213_3643620440537146720_n.jpg

53636709_10219051873031805_4791581286261063680_n.jpg.5c0bcde4a22abd8086450f68066d0b06.jpg

Edited by Jberlen

I have done multiple vehicles with BG first and BG after and the longevity has been the same for me either way.  The one advantage to BG first is that it will hide minor flaws and personally, I like the little extra pop gives it.  I also use BG on the weekends if we are going out or to a show as it will really make the vehicle pop.   

I see you have Ceramic Boost in your collection, I have done a couple of vehicles, including my truck with Ceramic Boost over American and it looked great and lasted for a while.  From my various vehicles, I've used HGG on some and Ceramic Boost on others and am completely satisfied.  With the various products that you have, you can look around and see what others have done and picture your top coat.   

As for the actual top on the Mustang, according to which variety you have, there are multiple options for keeping it looking good and reconditioning it if that is needed.  Good luck with the truck and car and don't forget to post pictures.   

13 minutes ago, RayS said:

I have done multiple vehicles with BG first and BG after and the longevity has been the same for me either way.  The one advantage to BG first is that it will hide minor flaws and personally, I like the little extra pop gives it.  I also use BG on the weekends if we are going out or to a show as it will really make the vehicle pop.   

I see you have Ceramic Boost in your collection, I have done a couple of vehicles, including my truck with Ceramic Boost over American and it looked great and lasted for a while.  From my various vehicles, I've used HGG on some and Ceramic Boost on others and am completely satisfied.  With the various products that you have, you can look around and see what others have done and picture your top coat.   

As for the actual top on the Mustang, according to which variety you have, there are multiple options for keeping it looking good and reconditioning it if that is needed.  Good luck with the truck and car and don't forget to post pictures.   

Thanks for the feedback, the top on the mustang got replaced last month from vinyl to cloth. I just want to keep its hydrophobic properties 

49 minutes ago, Jberlen said:

Thanks for the feedback, the top on the mustang got replaced last month from vinyl to cloth. I just want to keep its hydrophobic properties 

You might also consider the Ceramic Spray Coating on your convertible top. Check out this IG post...

34 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

You might also consider the Ceramic Spray Coating on your convertible top. Check out this IG post...

Yea I called and asked them and a couple of days later this poppped up lol. Just got to buy some, I was hoping ceramic boost will hold me over till I build up the coffers again 

All those layers are overkill.  You are going to waste a lot of time and product.  It will look good for a few days and then none of those sacrificial layers will matter anymore.  Stop after the sealant and be done with it.  After the next wash start hitting it with G&G or just a detail spray wipe down until you notice the sealant breakdown.  

7 hours ago, camaro2ssblack said:

All those layers are overkill.  You are going to waste a lot of time and product.  It will look good for a few days and then none of those sacrificial layers will matter anymore.  Stop after the sealant and be done with it.  After the next wash start hitting it with G&G or just a detail spray wipe down until you notice the sealant breakdown.  

Mostly this. You can layer your way to a haze with most products. 

Once sealant is down, I’d top it with a thin layer or two of wax. Think of the wax as a sacrificial layer that will be added/maintained between details. The sealant is the protection layer between paint and elements and you want to preserve as much as possible. 

Glaze is a great product, but has a lifespan measured in days. Guard and gloss can be used as a primary sealant, but we much prefer a traditional sealant for that initial layer. We do use guard and gloss on wheels. 

It’s easy to overthink the layers. People get confused because this product or that product are out and they have to use them. Not every product from a product line fits in your work flow. I can’t think of a single product line we have every one that they offer. Some just don’t fit or don’t make sense. 

2 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Mostly this. You can layer your way to a haze with most products. 

Once sealant is down, I’d top it with a thin layer or two of wax. Think of the wax as a sacrificial layer that will be added/maintained between details. The sealant is the protection layer between paint and elements and you want to preserve as much as possible. 

Glaze is a great product, but has a lifespan measured in days. Guard and gloss can be used as a primary sealant, but we much prefer a traditional sealant for that initial layer. We do use guard and gloss on wheels. 

It’s easy to overthink the layers. People get confused because this product or that product are out and they have to use them. Not every product from a product line fits in your work flow. I can’t think of a single product line we have every one that they offer. Some just don’t fit or don’t make sense. 

Agreed.  At the most I would add a coat of wax.  All these other steps are redundant.  

8 hours ago, Jberlen said:

Thanks for the help, I just want to make the paint pop really well and being in south Florida make sure I have good hydrophobic property. 

Given that's your goal, ultimately the choice is yours on what to apply. The PS will last the longest and give the most protection, but give the least pop of the three; the Americana in the middle for longevity but add a deep, wet look; and the BG lasts the least amount of time but gives the most wow factor. Over to you!

On 3/28/2019 at 4:03 PM, Chris@Adams said:

What colors would I most likely not need the FP? I have a yellow mustang and brown f150. Also what density pads should I use. I know Adams are the best since they are color coded but I have several pads not used including brand new buff and shine pads. 

1st photo: orange is heavy, blue medium, black fine 

2nd photo: micro fiber, maroon medium cut/ heavy polish, dark blue is light cut/ polish, yellow is polishing

05BC7041-653D-45E2-8CC2-3020B1CC8D9E.jpeg

4AA198F0-DCB0-47A0-BD15-90BEBB3C9913.jpeg

Hi John, I'll let the experts chime in on which ones are best to use when and where.  However, the one thing I have really learned from this site is to always start with the least aggressive method first.  That simple rule has saved me countless hours and left the vehicles in better long term condition.

8 minutes ago, RayS said:

Hi John, I'll let the experts chime in on which ones are best to use when and where.  However, the one thing I have really learned from this site is to always start with the least aggressive method first.  That simple rule has saved me countless hours and left the vehicles in better long term condition.

Thanks, I am going to do that and see what happened lol

I'm thinking of doing the following and want to see if anyone has any opinions. 

Paint seal 

American 

G&G

and use BG for car shows 

any suggestions are welcome. I am trying to get the deepest shine while have a good layer of protection since it is a daily driver. 

34 minutes ago, Jberlen said:

I'm thinking of doing the following and want to see if anyone has any opinions. 

Paint seal 

American 

G&G

and use BG for car shows 

any suggestions are welcome. I am trying to get the deepest shine while have a good layer of protection since it is a daily driver. 

The real shine comes from proper prep and paint correction, so don't skimp on that. Waxes, sealants, etc. are enhancements and protection.

I'll go back to other comments above... adding so many layers is overkill and a bit of wasted effort. You will get great results with just the PS for now. It adds a lot of shine and gives you 6+ months by itself. Then use HGG every 3-4 washes for more shine and maintenance, Americana only when/if you want to for a deeper gloss every month for so (in hot FL sun it could burn off in a day on that dark color...no joke), and BG just to show off. 

If you still really want to use all three right away, as I said above, I'd swap the Americana and HGG...so PS, HGG, and then Americana. Think most durable products layered first...and HGG plays better with PS than Americana since same product family.

Bottom line, I think you may be wasting effort wanting to use all three when one (PS) for right now will look and work great. But it's your car...

17 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

The real shine comes from proper prep and paint correction, so don't skimp on that. Waxes, sealants, etc. are enhancements and protection.

I'll go back to other comments above... adding so many layers is overkill and a bit of wasted effort. You will get great results with just the PS for now. It adds a lot of shine and gives you 6+ months by itself. Then use HGG every 3-4 washes for more shine and maintenance, Americana only when/if you want to for a deeper gloss every month for so (in hot FL sun it could burn off in a day on that dark color...no joke), and BG just to show off. 

If you still really want to use all three right away, as I said above, I'd swap the Americana and HGG...so PS, HGG, and then Americana. Think most durable products layered first...and HGG plays better with PS than Americana since same product family.

Bottom line, I think you may be wasting effort wanting to use all three when one (PS) for right now will look and work great. But it's your car...

Thanks, I should have specified, I am looking at doing the yellow mustang those steps.