Customer Service 866.965.0400

New car covered in cement dust

silver16

Question

Need some advice, my wife brought home a new Volvo XC90 on Saturday and the whole thing is covered in cement dust and salt dust. I told her not to have them wash it so I did when she got home and it’s rough. It’s black and not sure if I want to try to correct it or have the dealer go at it first. 

6 answers to this question

Get the cement off ASAP!  You maybe best using the local pay-n-spray really rinse it down, then take it and home wash with lots of soap for lubrication.  I would recommend a foam gun or cannon, if you have one, otherwise load the mitt with lots of soap and squeeze it out on the car, repeating until the entire car is 'foamed'.  You may end up having to reload the Soap bucket a few times.  And if you have more than one Grit Guard, set up 2 or more Rinse buckets.  

The dust may not affect the paint enough to require clay, but do the baggie test  - on a clean spot feel the surface with your hand, then put your hand inside a plastic bag and feel the area again.  If it is smooth you are done, otherwise it will need claying to remove the contamination.

You will be able to do the job better and cheaper (maybe) than the dealer.  

That’s basically what I did. Pressure washer, foam cannon, grit guard. Still pretty bad. I called the dealer this morning and they are going to take care of it with a approved solution they use so they claim. I’ll let them give it a try and then I’ll end up claying then correcting myself most likely. 

I wouldn't trust a dealer to wash my car no matter what.  Those guys don't care about your paint, and half of the ones who wash the cars are high school kids earning a buck.  I'd do a baggie test, then GENTLY clay it, and then do a more aggressive clay if needed. Then I'd detail it myself.  But that's just me.  Good luck Aaron.

I would use the Clay Mitt, not a clay bar, since the Clay Mitt can be rinsed out often.  The clay bar will collect the cement grit and cannot be rinsed effectively.

I would also use the Clay Mitt with clean Car Wash Shampoo suds.  And by clean suds I mean after the car is washed and rinsed, hit it with the Foam Cannon again and then use the Clay Mitt in the foam.