Customer Service 866.965.0400

Car Spring Detailed/What Is Next for Protection Upkeep?

fireman_af

Question

Hi all. 

I took many hours this weekend getting out to detail my Camaro. Picked up a bunch of Adam's products. But, not sure what I can do for follow up. The process I did was 

Wash, Clay, Wash, Revive Polish, Glaze, Paint Sealant and then Spray Wax. 

So, just not sure what I can do now to keep the shine going without putting too many layers on. Should I just use the spray wax every few washes? Or can I just put a coat of glaze maybe every weekend if I wanted to? Or every few washes put glaze and then the spray wax? 

Note: My car is keep outside 24/7. I live in an apartment. 

Here is a couple shots. 

aaMViVK.jpg

DeoHovg.jpg

9 answers to this question

Just me but since it’s parked outside exclusively, I’d consider going with a ceramic coating and upkeep with using the new ceramic waterless as a drying aid after each wash and ceramic boost after a wash once a month. Ceramic will provide you with the best protection long term on an outside kept vehicle.  When you do want a little extra pop, BG will come in handy for just a weekend.  It’s best for adding quick short term ‘pop’ with little protection so it shouldn’t affect the coatings hydrophobic properties long term.

Great looking car BTW, I had a Black 2000 Camaro SS many many years back and miss it at times.

Edited by Parad0x

6 minutes ago, Parad0x said:

Just me but since it’s parked outside exclusively, I’d consider going with a ceramic coating and upkeep with using the new ceramic waterless as a drying aid after each wash and ceramic boost after a wash once a month. Ceramic will provide you with the best protection long term on an outside kept vehicle.  When you do want a little extra pop, BG will come in handy for just a weekend.  It’s best for adding quick short term ‘pop’ with little protection so it shouldn’t affect the coatings hydrophobic properties long term.

Great looking car BTW, I had a Black 2000 Camaro SS many many years back and miss it at times.

Thank you Parad0x for the reply. While I would ceramic I already did the steps I posted above. So, was more curious what I could do with the products I have or if I should pick up something else like Gloss & Guard. I wasn't sure if I could do a coat of glaze topped with Spray Wax every couple washes safely either. 

Thank you, glad you like the car. 

I hear you and don’t blame you, use what you have and ceramic products can be something to consider down the road as you use up existing product and need to begin resupplying.

Guard and Gloss would definitely be a good thing IMO to pick up and use once a month while drying the car.  It’ll offer better protection than the spray wax when used once a month and extend the paint sealants longevity. Then, in-between the G&G applications, you can use the spray wax and BG.

I could be wrong but I ‘think’ it may be best to use spray wax first with brilliant glaze on top of the spray wax.  Spray wax I think offers better protection so you’d want that down first and then the glaze just adds even more pop on top of that but lasts just the weekend/literally a few short days.  If I’m wrong, please, someone in the know correct my line of reasoning.

Edit: and if you haven’t seen it mentioned on here before, definitely consider cleaning the inside of your windshield with brilliant glaze.  It seriously cuts down on that haze forming on the inside and makes cleaning the inside far easier in the future.  It also works great on the inside of windows in your home/apartment.  I just did my vehicles and home windows a few weeks back after seeing the recommendation on here and have been quite impressed with the results thus far.

Edited by Parad0x

21 minutes ago, Parad0x said:

I hear you and don’t blame you, use what you have and ceramic products can be something to consider down the road as you use up existing product and need to begin resupplying.

Guard and Gloss would definitely be a good thing IMO to pick up and use once a month while drying the car.  It’ll offer better protection than the spray wax when used once a month and extend the paint sealants longevity. Then, in-between the G&G applications, you can use the spray wax and BG.

I could be wrong but I ‘think’ it may be best to use spray wax first with brilliant glaze on top of the spray wax.  Spray wax I think offers better protection so you’d want that down first and then the glaze just adds even more pop on top of that but lasts just the weekend/literally a few short days.  If I’m wrong, please, someone in the know correct my line of reasoning.

Edit: and if you haven’t seen it mentioned on here before, definitely consider cleaning the inside of your windshield with brilliant glaze.  It seriously cuts down on that haze forming on the inside and makes cleaning the inside far easier in the future.  It also works great on the inside of windows in your home/apartment.  I just did my vehicles and home windows a few weeks back after seeing the recommendation on here and have been quite impressed with the results thus far.

Ok, I may pick up G&G then. But, use the Spray Wax and then Glaze every couple of weeks or so. It wouldn't be too much though with spray wax, glaze being repeated every couple weeks and then topped with G&G? Do you know how long the Spray Wax lasts before breakdown?

Very interesting about the glaze for the windows. I will have to do that then. 

Thanks for the help. 

Spray wax can be used on wet paint so I’d use it while drying whenever you wash the car.  I’d replace the spray wax with the G&G once a month.  And then use the BG on top of either the spray wax or G&G if you want very temporary extra gloss.  If you’re pressed for time after washing and won’t really be driving around a lot where the extra gloss will be appreciated, skip the BG, no big deal.  BG isn’t really for protection at all, it’s primary function is adding short term, like 2 days of superb gloss.

They say spray wax wax lasts a month or two but from experience that’s all so dependent upon outside kept/garage kept, the season one is in and temperatures at the time, sun exposure etc etc.  If you’re washing once a week or every two weeks and using spray wax as a drying aid after each wash with G&G thrown in as the drying aid once a month and have paint sealant as a base under it all, you’ll IMO always have some decent protection going on.

No problem and let me/us know what you think of using the BG on the inside of the windshield as time goes by.  And if you’ve never used a glass sealant before on the exterior windshield/exterior glass in general, it is something you may want to also consider.  I began like many using rain-X nearly 20 years ago and eventually switched to better glass sealants and once every two months or so I boost exterior glass protection with Adam’s glass boost and I find the water beading glass sealant offers invaluable in the rain.

Edited by Parad0x

Great, I will do that then. Thanks again for the feedback. With this car being outside 24/7 and a daily driver I want to make sure it is protected well and looks great when driving. I will say, I did buy a car cover today to help protect against the weather a bit. 

For sure, next washing I will try out the glaze on the glass and then get a good glass sealer. 

1 hour ago, fireman_af said:

Ok, I may pick up G&G then. But, use the Spray Wax and then Glaze every couple of weeks or so. It wouldn't be too much though with spray wax, glaze being repeated every couple weeks and then topped with G&G? Do you know how long the Spray Wax lasts before breakdown?

Very interesting about the glaze for the windows. I will have to do that then. 

Thanks for the help. 

Hi Jeff, First - that is a beautiful Camaro.  As @Parad0x mentioned the Spray wax is good for a month or so and a bit long for a garage kept vehicle.  I like to use the Spray Wax when I do a waterless wash of the wife's car.  Even though I'm in a house, I use the waterless wash when it is less than ideal weather outside and as part of my travel kit.  It is really easy to use a car that is well maintained and not overly dirty.  If it happens to get a too dirty, then go to a pay &  spray to knock the dirt off and then use the waterless wash.

I will be slowly converting my vehicles to the ceramic line as I use up the regular products.  I already have Ceramic Boost and Ceramic Paste Wax and they are great.  @falcaineer has some good pictures and writeups of the ceramic waterless wash.  I have used HGG and CB and my preference has gone toward CB, but that is only my preference - it is not that one product is better than the other.  Generally the rule of thumb is that ceramics say with ceramics, so you should take that info consideration.    I also have enough vehicles that I have been able to experiment and have vehicles in different configurations.  

As for Brilliant Glaze, the stuff is amazing.  Whether you are putting it under or over a product, it does its job.  When it is under another product it hides small imperfections, when added as a weekend topper, it makes the car Pop.   As many others will tell you, it is great on the inside of a windshield.  

@Parad0x and @RayS have you well covered. I'll summarize that for Paint Sealant, HGG is a prime maintenance option about once a month. Then BG whenever you feel like showing off; can be applied over or under wax, doesn't matter since wax doesn't bond like sealant. Only thkng I'll add is Spray Wax can be used, but it's caranuba based so doesn't play as well with PS as the HGG.

And here's a video on BG inside the windshield.

And here's a favorite article of mine that's a worthwhile read.

Post some pics after you apply the HGG and BG on your paint. We live to see serious shine!!!

9 hours ago, RayS said:

Hi Jeff, First - that is a beautiful Camaro.  As @Parad0x mentioned the Spray wax is good for a month or so and a bit long for a garage kept vehicle.  I like to use the Spray Wax when I do a waterless wash of the wife's car.  Even though I'm in a house, I use the waterless wash when it is less than ideal weather outside and as part of my travel kit.  It is really easy to use a car that is well maintained and not overly dirty.  If it happens to get a too dirty, then go to a pay &  spray to knock the dirt off and then use the waterless wash.

I will be slowly converting my vehicles to the ceramic line as I use up the regular products.  I already have Ceramic Boost and Ceramic Paste Wax and they are great.  @falcaineer has some good pictures and writeups of the ceramic waterless wash.  I have used HGG and CB and my preference has gone toward CB, but that is only my preference - it is not that one product is better than the other.  Generally the rule of thumb is that ceramics say with ceramics, so you should take that info consideration.    I also have enough vehicles that I have been able to experiment and have vehicles in different configurations.  

As for Brilliant Glaze, the stuff is amazing.  Whether you are putting it under or over a product, it does its job.  When it is under another product it hides small imperfections, when added as a weekend topper, it makes the car Pop.   As many others will tell you, it is great on the inside of a windshield.  

Thank you. I actually do need to pick up some of the waterless wash. I also will look into ceramic coating once I feel confident enough to do a good paint correction.  

7 hours ago, falcaineer said:

@Parad0x and @RayS have you well covered. I'll summarize that for Paint Sealant, HGG is a prime maintenance option about once a month. Then BG whenever you feel like showing off; can be applied over or under wax, doesn't matter since wax doesn't bond like sealant. Only thkng I'll add is Spray Wax can be used, but it's caranuba based so doesn't play as well with PS as the HGG.

And here's a video on BG inside the windshield.

And here's a favorite article of mine that's a worthwhile read.

Post some pics after you apply the HGG and BG on your paint. We live to see serious shine!!!

Great wrote up. A lot of details in that especially for the first timers. Yeah it seems people really recommend the G&G so, I will be ordering some of that.  Then just apply glaze as desired. So the Spray Wax isn't really being helpful over the paint sealant?