Customer Service 866.965.0400

Rock hard mud looks like clay? Suggestions of safe removal?

DanielChaves

Question

I have searched the forum but didnt find what I was looking for. On my lower panels just behind the wheels there is a bit of mud splatter, almost looks like clay in color. This stuff is hard as a rock. I cant even pick it off with my finger nail. I have tried various cleaners, I even sprayed vigorously an all purpose cleaner on it and nothing seems to work to help loosen it up to wipe off. Any suggestions?  

20190417_183547.jpg

20190417_183519.jpg

18 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Firebuff17 said:

Power washer??

Tried it, did several foam washes followed by several power washes... its been stuck on for months... ^^;; I almost feel like I have to take sandpaper to it but Im trying to find a more paint friendly option... ^^;;

I have removed stuck on rubber, bug splatter, paint transfer and on and on and yet this mud or whatever it is has been the one thing that does not want to budge... I guess I will have to try something that is higher in the acidic range? maybe a bit of paint thinner? I just worry about the clear coat... 

If it does not come off with your fingernail, and no detailing products have helped, it may be concrete (or grout) and not mud.

This can happen when drive through construction zones, or from just running over a small spill from a mix truck.

Check out this thread and try the concrete removal product in a small test area in the wheel well.

Try Tarminator. I had a car with some similar looking splatter on it and Tarminator took it out. Be careful to read and follow directions and follow up with some wax or sealant. I used Tarminator and a gray utility towel. I soaked the area with water, sprayed the product and let dwell for 30 seconds then sprayed some product on the utility towel and softly agitated the surface. Then immediately rinsed the panel with a hose thoroughly. This was done on a cool surface in the shade after the vehicle had been washed.

@DanielChaves

Now that I looked at the photos on the computer and see more detail, it looks to me like house paint.  On the fender flare, the way that the stuff is kinda swirly from where the wind whipped it around, is not how mud or even concrete splatters.

If claying does not remove it from the fender flare, I would try some Krud Kutter Latex Paint Remover, which you can get at Home Depot.  Krud Kutter makes many different cleaning products, so make sure its the Latex Paint Remover product.

I can't tell if the wheel well liner is textured plastic, felt, or has been sprayed with bedliner.  Either way, if it is paint that got splattered, then its going to be tough to remove.  I would try the Krud Kutter and a stiff scrub brush.

I think those saying it looks like paint is right. I took some Goof Off latex paint remover and used it on the lower quarter of my panel and it started to break it down. I quickly followed up with each pass an ipa and water rinse to make sure it didnt work its way into the clear. That took off the bulk of it. I had family over for the weekend so couldnt spend to much time, so next weekend I will tackle it all and take care of it then. The wheel well liner is a felt like material. I still think its odd they do that instead of plastic maybe it keeps quieter from the wind buffering around the wheel? but yeah that will probably be harder to clean. May have to take off my wheels and use a good scrub brush to that. 

4 hours ago, DanielChaves said:

I think those saying it looks like paint is right. I took some Goof Off latex paint remover and used it on the lower quarter of my panel and it started to break it down. I quickly followed up with each pass an ipa and water rinse to make sure it didnt work its way into the clear. That took off the bulk of it. I had family over for the weekend so couldnt spend to much time, so next weekend I will tackle it all and take care of it then. The wheel well liner is a felt like material. I still think its odd they do that instead of plastic maybe it keeps quieter from the wind buffering around the wheel? but yeah that will probably be harder to clean. May have to take off my wheels and use a good scrub brush to that. 

Really happy to hear you're on your way to clean paint! This forum is awesome, and isn't it? 🔥👍

As for the felt, yeah, it's mainly for sound. Rocks, wind, etc. An apparently paint 😉😆.

Scratch that I wont be free this coming weekend to do a full wash, clay, and polish of my car after all. Just got hired to do a gig with Robert Matthew Van Winkle for Saturday at LA Live, he called me up and asked if I wanted to work with him again which duh of course I do, it was a freaking blast the last time I got to work with him. ^_^

My poor car, all I have been able to do is maintenance washes. I have been wanting to do a full detail since Christmas but I need at least a good solid two days to do such but I keep having things come up that eat a day out of my weekend. ^^;; 

2 hours ago, DanielChaves said:

Scratch that I wont be free this coming weekend to do a full wash, clay, and polish of my car after all. Just got hired to do a gig with Robert Matthew Van Winkle for Saturday at LA Live, he called me up and asked if I wanted to work with him again which duh of course I do, it was a freaking blast the last time I got to work with him. ^_^

My poor car, all I have been able to do is maintenance washes. I have been wanting to do a full detail since Christmas but I need at least a good solid two days to do such but I keep having things come up that eat a day out of my weekend. ^^;; 

Ice, Ice, Baby!!! :banana: That's awesome!!!