Customer Service 866.965.0400

Light scratches that can't be removed

joshp14

Question

I have a torch red car that I am correcting. It's in very good shape but I want to eliminate all of the long fine scratches. Years ago, I bought the PC 7424 from Adam's but never used it to do paint correction. I am using the microfiber pad with Adam's heavy correcting compound.  I have light scratches that I am trying to remove with no luck. I borrowed a friends 3" Snap-on battery powered electric polisher (rotary, not orbital) to see if it would make a difference with no luck.

Any advice here? I cannot feel the scratches on the surface but I want them gone. Am I not using the correct machine? Do I need a more aggressive compound? Does Adam's make anything more aggressive than the heavy correcting compound?

Edited by joshp14

12 answers to this question

The microfiber pad and HCC are the most aggressive combo Adam's sells. And the PC is a capable machine, more so than I'd expect the battery one you mentioned. It should get you great results with the right process.

What kind of car? Could be really hard clear coat and this need more time.

What speed are you using? Cross hatch pattern, right? I wouldn't spend forever on the same spot as you're using an aggressive process, but you can take a few passes, moving slowly, at a speed of 5 or 6. You'll probably need to come back with the CP and/or FP and a foam pad to remove any haze, too. 

It's a 2013 Corvette.. Quite difficult to get a shot of it because of the color of the car. You can see the long scratch in between the light bulbs. I'm using speed setting #6. I do the panel in one direction with 25% overlap, then do the same panel in a direction perpendicular to that.

20190418_202313.jpg

Edited by joshp14

There are fine scratches that the PC wont be able to take out since its not a forced rotation polisher. A better polisher like a Flex 3401 will take car of your needs since its a forced rotation polisher with a different pattern of correction. Unless there is wet sanding that needs to be done, a change in machine should cure your problem.

I would disagree with the above statement.  A dual-action machine like the Porter-Cable should absolutely be able to remove fine scratches, and will also remove major scratches.  It just would take a little more time than a forced-rotation dual action polisher like the Flex 3401 or Rupes Mille.  The advantage to those forced-rotation machines is that they will correct faster, and not stall on curves and contours.  The disadvantage to the forced-rotation machines is they take more skill to operate.

Since the scratch in the photo has not improved with the polishing, and it is a fine scratch since it does not catch on a fingernail, I wonder if the scratch is below the clear coat.  @joshp14 Do you own this car, or is it just a car you are working on?  Perhaps some portion of it had been repainted, and the clear coat was blended over this scratch?

On 4/19/2019 at 5:36 PM, TheWolf said:

I would disagree with the above statement.  A dual-action machine like the Porter-Cable should absolutely be able to remove fine scratches, and will also remove major scratches.  It just would take a little more time than a forced-rotation dual action polisher like the Flex 3401 or Rupes Mille.  The advantage to those forced-rotation machines is that they will correct faster, and not stall on curves and contours.  The disadvantage to the forced-rotation machines is they take more skill to operate.

Since the scratch in the photo has not improved with the polishing, and it is a fine scratch since it does not catch on a fingernail, I wonder if the scratch is below the clear coat.  @joshp14 Do you own this car, or is it just a car you are working on?  Perhaps some portion of it had been repainted, and the clear coat was blended over this scratch?

I don't believe it's under the clear as the scratch did get slightly better, but still noticeable. It is my own vehicle. I've only owned it for four months but all of the paint appears orignal (same color and tint, same amount of orange peel). I have operated rotary polishers before, I just dont own one. Which is why I borrowed the 3" snap on polisher. I figured perhaps the rotaty action would work better with the compound rather than the DA of the PC.

1 hour ago, joshp14 said:

I don't believe it's under the clear as the scratch did get slightly better, but still noticeable. It is my own vehicle. I've only owned it for four months but all of the paint appears orignal (same color and tint, same amount of orange peel). I have operated rotary polishers before, I just dont own one. Which is why I borrowed the 3" snap on polisher. I figured perhaps the rotaty action would work better with the compound rather than the DA of the PC.

If it got somewhat better, can you catch a fingernail?

On 4/20/2019 at 10:39 PM, falcaineer said:

If it got somewhat better, can you catch a fingernail?

Negative. 

On 4/21/2019 at 1:30 PM, Rich said:

Have you thought about trying Revive polish? It fills in the minor imperfections.  Can't hurt since nothing else seems to be working.

I have not. I will have to see if I have any of the revive. I talked to a guy I know who is a painter who is going to have a look and give me a hand on the ones I can't get out.

Here is how it sits now. It looks pretty good. It's not perfect and I know you can chase perfect forever, but I just want these more noticeable light ones eliminated.

58383072_10219582879430456_7995869000678506496_n.jpg

She does look great. Glad you understand chasing perfection is like reaching the end of a rainbow. As I understand it, Vettes have notoriously hard paint, so it could take several passes with HCC and microfiber pad, then Orange CP and microfiber and/or foam pad. Good luck!

Beautiful ZR1. I used to use Revive on  my black Z06 and it did wonders.  Back then, I did it all by hand. No machines. And on black the smallest crap shows up. So seeing what a good job it did on the black Vette really sold me on it.  It is recommended for hand use rather than machine, but you can still use the power tools on it.  

You ever go to the Carlisle show in August?

13 hours ago, Rich said:

Beautiful ZR1. I used to use Revive on  my black Z06 and it did wonders.  Back then, I did it all by hand. No machines. And on black the smallest crap shows up. So seeing what a good job it did on the black Vette really sold me on it.  It is recommended for hand use rather than machine, but you can still use the power tools on it.  

You ever go to the Carlisle show in August?

Thanks. I'll look into the revive polish.

Never been to PA...that would be quite the drive from my place.