Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ceramic coatings not for me.

Mantis

Question

Hello everyone,

I've been kicking around the idea of ceramic coating my truck. BUT I die ceded against it because I enjoy washing my truck once a week , I enjoy waxing at least once a month and between waxes I use a spray wax. Actually I always spray wax between waxes as I really enjoy using such a easy to apply product that holds up until the next weeks wash or even if I have to miss a wash, it still holds up to 2 to 3 weeks. Impressive and I think this is the better option for me instead of going with a coating.

Call me old school but that's what I like to do. Anyone else in this camp?

9 answers to this question

Honestly, I use to think that way.  I had a couple gallons of DS and all that stuff, and would always be washing and buffing etc.  But with a new baby in the picture, I purchased a new truck and coated it.  I still love on it and wash it a couple times a month.  A lof of products can still be used on coated vehicles, and they still need maintenance, and washing and drying are so much easier.  I love it and will never have a vehicle that isn’t coated.  

Hi @mantis,  a ceramic coated vehicle does not mean it is maintenance free.  You still need to wash them to get the road grime off, pollen, dust and other stuff from the door jams and the brake dust still sticks to the rims.  A coated vehicle will still need to be loved, as @Nickfire20 stated, on a regular basis whether it is a two bucket wash or a ceramic waterless wash.   As for the waxing part, you can use ceramic spray wax or ceramic paste wax, which has become my favorite that I use on non-coated vehicles.   About once a month the ceramic waxed vehicles get a fresh coat of ceramic boost.  Then hit the vehicle with ceramic wax with a topping of brilliant glaze and it will really pop for that special weekend or show.

I'm slowly making my transition to the new ceramic line, although it will take a while before all the vehicles are transitioned - probably years - and I may not even do the daily drivers until they are replaced.  When the wife's car gets replaced, that will be going to a professional to have a professional coating put on it.  The wife's vehicle is the one we use for trips, it is garage kept and it always spotless and we usually keep her vehicles for 7-10 years.  When it comes to the classics, they may not end up with anything more than ceramic wax on them, I'm undecided at this point.  I consider anything over 20 years old to be on the classic side with the oldest right now being 1972 Datsun 240Z. 

My recommendation is to keep reading and pick what is best suited for your situation, vehicles, financials and outcome desire.  The one thing I have learned in my many years of doing vehicles is that each situation is different, including having different vehicles you own maintained in different ways.  

I agree with Nickfire and Rays!!.  I was against it too. I CC both my vehicles last year and love it.  Like Rays said you can use Either of the new Ceramic waxes to keep yourself medicated!!  The coating just makes things easier.  

I highly recommended it!! Watching the water bead and shoot off the car is pretty relaxing too!! 

I'm on the fence. I love maintaining my car with more traditional products...and PS and HGG are my favorite for white cars like mine. But as others said above, you still need to maintain coatings. With the new ceramic line, you can get the same feel for washing and waxing, just with more advanced, better protection, and longer lasting products. Ceramic Boost is like a Spray Wax and can be used once a month; the Ceramic Waterless is like DS but silica based and gives awesome shine and hydrophobic properties; the Ceramic Past Wax is like Patriot or Americana for application but lasts longer and still gives incredible shine; Wash & Coat is like Wash & Wax (another favorite of mine) but on steroids; and don't forget the new ceramic liquid wax, which is similar to buttery in consistency but works with coatings

The more I think about it, it's almost as though Adam's realized making the switch is harder for some old schoolers, myself included, and designed their ceramic line to make the transition feel more comfortable yet more advanced.

Wait, did I just talk myself into a coating??!! 🤔

4 hours ago, Chris@Adams said:

Guys once you have a Ceramic Coated car you won't want to go back, its 10 times easier to take care off.

And you can Boost every month if you feel the need to detail.

When are you coming to Johnstown Chris?  I'll even feed you!!  :lolsmack:

4 hours ago, Chris@Adams said:

Guys once you have a Ceramic Coated car you won't want to go back, its 10 times easier to take care off.

And you can Boost every month if you feel the need to detail.

This!  I’m an older school guy too. Loved my polishing to get that perfect paint and waxing all the time. But...life goes on. 

My biggest take away from coatings is how the paint just doesn’t get those light swirl like scratches (for lack of a better description) that you’re just gonna get with normal washing and touching the surface. And I gotta admit, I’m enjoying the lighter maintence more than I did the hours polishing chasing perfection.