Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wheel ceramic durability + wheel cleaner on satin black wheels

Coderedpl

Question

Hello everyone,

So I recently acquired some new wheels and figured it'd be the perfect opportunity to get them coated, seeing as fresh out the box is probably the cleanest they will ever be, all that went without a hitch. Impossible to see rainbow on satin wheels but kinda used time and judgement on removal. 

Anyway, onto the questions at hand. 

I'm trying to keep these wheels as black as they can be as long as I can, hence the coating in the first place. The one thing I did notice on previous satin wheels is that overtime, they just end up turning "gray", even after being careful about cleaning and whatnot and I'm starting to believe it's due to the wheel cleaners used. 

1. How "durable" is the ceramic in terms of Adams regular wheel cleaner?

I'm talking about the stronger one because I'm assuming the Eco is a bit weaker due to not having the iron 'activator', which would be a better choice for satin black wheels? 

I never really had a problem with staining and I usually go for the stronger stuff simply because my wheels get dirty quick (thanks to my yellowstuff pads)

2. Would the Eco cleaner or even car shampoo in a sprayer be a better option? 

My only concern with #2 is not being able to get the wheels clean enough. I unfortunately do not have a pressure washer so have to depend on regular hose pressure which sometimes just isn't enough . 

Pic of car attached, because why not. 

Thanks 

IMG_20190411_155119.jpg

Edited by Coderedpl

3 answers to this question

With Wheel Coating, you likely won't need a strong cleaner. The whole point is for the coating to not allow dirt, brake dust, etc. anything to cling to. At least not easily. You could probably get by with just a blast of water, maybe some car shampoo. And occasionally Eco WC, if necessary. Keep up with Boost, as well, to help even more.

I used this stuff for the first time and I love it!!

I did the wheels on my Regal GS last weekend and I did the wheels on my Camaro today.  The stuff beads up like nothing I've seen before.

On 4/22/2019 at 7:22 PM, Coderedpl said:

Hello everyone,

So I recently acquired some new wheels and figured it'd be the perfect opportunity to get them coated, seeing as fresh out the box is probably the cleanest they will ever be, all that went without a hitch. Impossible to see rainbow on satin wheels but kinda used time and judgement on removal. 

Anyway, onto the questions at hand. 

I'm trying to keep these wheels as black as they can be as long as I can, hence the coating in the first place. The one thing I did notice on previous satin wheels is that overtime, they just end up turning "gray", even after being careful about cleaning and whatnot and I'm starting to believe it's due to the wheel cleaners used. 

1. How "durable" is the ceramic in terms of Adams regular wheel cleaner?

I'm talking about the stronger one because I'm assuming the Eco is a bit weaker due to not having the iron 'activator', which would be a better choice for satin black wheels? 

I never really had a problem with staining and I usually go for the stronger stuff simply because my wheels get dirty quick (thanks to my yellowstuff pads)

2. Would the Eco cleaner or even car shampoo in a sprayer be a better option? 

My only concern with #2 is not being able to get the wheels clean enough. I unfortunately do not have a pressure washer so have to depend on regular hose pressure which sometimes just isn't enough . 

Pic of car attached, because why not. 

Thanks 

IMG_20190411_155119.jpg

Regular wheel cleaner is fine on ceramic coated wheels. It won’t hurt...but may or may not be needed. It depends on a few variables which I’ll get into below. 

On 4/22/2019 at 8:14 PM, falcaineer said:

With Wheel Coating, you likely won't need a strong cleaner. The whole point is for the coating to not allow dirt, brake dust, etc. anything to cling to. At least not easily. You could probably get by with just a blast of water, maybe some car shampoo. And occasionally Eco WC, if necessary. Keep up with Boost, as well, to help even more.

Good information here. A ceramic coating SHOULD make cleaning easier. Some coatings are more durable than others and that’s a debate for another forum and another time. 

The biggest variable in which cleaner you want to use is honestly how bad your brakes bleed brake dust. My Lotus for example has a horrible dust issue. The wheels have been coated for a while (and just recoated in a different coating after powder coat). They still hold on to the brake dust. It’s just...”not as bad.” Until I give in and swap to EBC Ceramic pads, it’s a demon I have to live with. 

The other factor (and this is for general knowledge since I’m assuming you’ll coat the barrels since the wheels are new and off) is if the wheel barrels have been coated. Coating faces is a time/cost savings for some. So if that’s the case, the wheel barrels will be just like normal. 

If your brakes don’t bleed that bad, an eco wheel cleaner will work great. Try it first. See if you’re happy. Then you’ll know the answer if you need more. Like ALL things detailing...least to most aggressive.