Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ok to buff Buttery Wax with machine?

sgtdday

Question

Hello,

Would it be okay to buff out Buttery Wax with a machine? Random or orbital? Wool, foam, or terry cloth pad?

I have a large boat and would like to wax it more often but I need to be efficient or it's just not going to happen as frequently as I would like. 

Thanks,

Dave

11 answers to this question

Adam's doesn't sell a pad to remove it, but you may spend more time trying to find one than it'll take to remove it by hand. BW is super easy to remove with just a plush microfiber. Also, if you want long lasting protection for your boat that won't need to be done as often, BW is not your best option...look at a coating or Paint Sealant instead.

Thanks. My plan is to polish it and give it a heavy waxing twice a year then touch it up every couple of months which is where the buttery wax comes in. I understand the elbow grease but it's a big boat 😛

57 minutes ago, sgtdday said:

Thanks. My plan is to polish it and give it a heavy waxing twice a year then touch it up every couple of months which is where the buttery wax comes in. I understand the elbow grease but it's a big boat 😛

I suggest you consider the Spray Wax instead of Buttery Wax to make it easier.  The Spray Wax is extremely easy to use, looks great and as the product details state:

• Safe on paint, glass, chrome, fiberglass, plastic, aluminum, vinyl, etc.
  • Anti-static and anti-streak formulation safely removes fingerprints and water spots, while protecting your finish! 
  • Extends life of current protection, or stand-alone paint protection. 
  • Use on wet or dry painted surfaces, in full-sun or shade!

I do believe all of those conditions may apply for a boat.  I've used in on vehicles of different types and and ages and am really happy with the product.  Using the Spray Wax after Waterless Wash allowed me to get a vehicle looking good quickly with little effort.

1 minute ago, RayS said:

I suggest you consider the Spray Wax instead of Buttery Wax to make it easier.  The Spray Wax is extremely easy to use, looks great and as the product details state:

• Safe on paint, glass, chrome, fiberglass, plastic, aluminum, vinyl, etc.
  • Anti-static and anti-streak formulation safely removes fingerprints and water spots, while protecting your finish! 
  • Extends life of current protection, or stand-alone paint protection. 
  • Use on wet or dry painted surfaces, in full-sun or shade!

I do believe all of those conditions may apply for a boat.  I've used in on vehicles of different types and and ages and am really happy with the product.  Using the Spray Wax after Waterless Wash allowed me to get a vehicle looking good quickly with little effort.

Yep. Good thought. Ceramic Spray Coating is another great and easy option. 

In other words, we really recommend other choices besides BW...

If you go with the Ceramic Spray, use Ceramic Boost every month or so to maintain and add more gloss and protection. Think of it like a spray wax, only silica based. It's also a stand-alone option and can be used wet or dry application.

Edited by falcaineer

20 hours ago, mc2hill said:

If you want to remove the Buttery Wax with a Dual Action/Random Orbit short throw machine (Porter Cable, etc, not a Swirl Killer or Rupes, or rotary) place a quality MF towel under a soft, clean foam pad (a white pad would be, OK, a black or red pad would be better), set the machine to a low speed, and buff away!

The short throw recommendation is mine, without experimentation.  Adam used to recommend this method to remove paste wax, but I don't think it would work well with a long throw machine.  

What he said...................... Use ceramic spray or H2O G&G way easier.

-Jason

If you want to remove the Buttery Wax with a Dual Action/Random Orbit short throw machine (Porter Cable, etc, not a Swirl Killer or Rupes, or rotary) place a quality MF towel under a soft, clean foam pad (a white pad would be, OK, a black or red pad would be better), set the machine to a low speed, and buff away!

The short throw recommendation is mine, without experimentation.  Adam used to recommend this method to remove paste wax, but I don't think it would work well with a long throw machine.