Customer Service 866.965.0400

HELP! Wheel cleaner turned brake rotors orange!

Colincjans

Question

Hey everyone,

Im in the process of doing a new car detail on a 2019 Subaru Crosstrek. While cleaning the wheels with wheel cleaner, I cleaned the brakes with wheel cleaner. Now the brakes are a rust orange color. How do i remove this??? Thanks!

9 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, Colincjans said:

👍🏼 So this is typical, I’m gathering. Is there also a cleaner option (APC, etc)?

Yes, it happens. Another common issue is not ensuring the wheels are cool to the touch before using it.

What do you mean by "cleaner" option?

27 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

Yes, it happens. Another common issue is not ensuring the wheels are cool to the touch before using it.

What do you mean by "cleaner" option?

Car was sitting in the garage all night prior to wash, but 🤷🏻‍♂️.

i just meant is there a cleaner I can use instead (such as APC or Iron Remover)?

48 minutes ago, Colincjans said:

Car was sitting in the garage all night prior to wash, but 🤷🏻‍♂️.

i just meant is there a cleaner I can use instead (such as APC or Iron Remover)?

Sorry, I wasn't implying they were hot. I was only saying it's a common issue people encounter/don't understand.

APC won't break down the brake dust like WC, but it can be used. It'll be more effective on tires and wheels wells for that part of the car. IR will work, too, but it's not designed the same as WC (different viscosity, for example). But you can try either one, it won't hurt anything.

I don’t think I understand this thread.  Any quality rotor with a high iron content will flash rust with just water. It’s not the cleaner you used, there’s no cleaner that’ll get it off, there’s nothing you could have done to prevent it, and the ONLY thing that’ll take it off is driving it off.

I just washed mine. Happens every single time. This is nothing but water! You’ll have to go for a drive and then dust the wheels back off again, but that’s the worst of it. 

B840BC69-5559-4B14-963A-E9C8BB35577B.jpeg