Customer Service 866.965.0400

What light do you use to find swirls on Silver Metallic paint?

DanielChaves

Question

I have purchased 3 different lights ranging from 200 lumens to 1000 lumens all single white led and I can not see light scratches or swirl marks. During the day or at night, my paint simply reflects the light and hides the imperfections not sure how else to explain it. I have an Audi with Ice Silver for the paint color. I can take these same lights on to any other solid color paintwork and can see the swirls. I think it has to do with the metallic aspect of the paint? 

Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe a different light like a warmer light? havent tried such yet but before I spend any more money I wanted to get some feedback. 

Oh I am able to see the swirl marks at night from our motion sensor security light which is a warmer light, maybe that is a factor? I can only paint correct outside, no garage and Im not sure if my apartment neighbors would enjoy me using a DA at night lol... 

Thanks everyone. 

Edited by DanielChaves
Added more information.

6 answers to this question

I have the Color Match LED Light, and I can see scratches and swirls on every color car. I highly recommend it!

• 4000 Kelvin

• 95 CRI

• Ultra High CRI COB LED

• 1800/600 Lumens

• 1.5M Cord

• 11.1V/4400 mAh- Li-Ion Battery

• 4 Hour Operating time

• 2 Hour Charging time

• 26W

• 120 Degree Beam Angle

https://adamspolishes.com/adam-s-color-match-led-light.html

9 hours ago, DanielChaves said:

I have purchased 3 different lights ranging from 200 lumens to 1000 lumens all single white led and I can not see light scratches or swirl marks. During the day or at night, my paint simply reflects the light and hides the imperfections not sure how else to explain it. I have an Audi with Ice Silver for the paint color. I can take these same lights on to any other solid color paintwork and can see the swirls. I think it has to do with the metallic aspect of the paint? 

Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe a different light like a warmer light? havent tried such yet but before I spend any more money I wanted to get some feedback. 

Oh I am able to see the swirl marks at night from our motion sensor security light which is a warmer light, maybe that is a factor? I can only paint correct outside, no garage and Im not sure if my apartment neighbors would enjoy me using a DA at night lol... 

Thanks everyone. 

Daniel, you inadvertently answered your own question. You don’t need a different light source you need a darker background to contrast the light reflected off of silver paint. When I work on my wife’s silver Beast I will turn off all the lights in the garage and use a hand held LED flashlight to check my work. My previous ( and next!) vehicle was pearl white and I learned quickly to do what we do in our optical lab when we’re inspecting lenses for cosmetic defects. 47CBD25E-466B-497A-95C7-B2E04F1B0F4C.thumb.jpeg.007d0b6fb445b93fd7060b726adceb3b.jpeg

This lens looks pretty good, right?   Guess again.

7AC2641F-CF87-466A-8316-07034881A08A.thumb.jpeg.eb013b61fd114bb34a2cbbaaa31018fc.jpeg

Same lens, same old man hand but with a black background providing contrast just like your security light at night. Perhaps a pop up shade or parking under a tree if you have no garage. You may also need to get down closer to the paint and change the angle of reflection to help see imperfections.

Great info from Miguel and Paul (our resident eyewear lens expert) ^^^.  I would also add that angle of the light source to your eye makes a difference too - check out videos  on a hammered truck from Levi at TRC for more info on this.

the weird thing is at night with these white led lights, I cant see the swirls so Im think they might be too bright making the metallic flake shine, so I suppose what I need to do is dig around for an older mag light that had those warmed light bulbs in them and see if I can see the swirls that way and will look into the pop up tent idea too which would be nice regardless as I would be out of the sun. 

This question has been going on for years. IMHO if your looking to see deep swirls, scratches, smallest imperfections, nothing works better than halogens. Dual light setup on a stand is cheap money at one of the orange or blue box stores. LED lights also work but aren't as intense of a direct light and different temp. etc but look awesome to light up your final results in bright white light. Pictured is some scratches seen under direct halogens, 500 watt.

IMG_1285.JPG

IMG_1287.JPG

IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1330 (1).JPG

IMG_1336 (1).JPG

IMG_1337 (1).JPG