Customer Service 866.965.0400

Minor paint correction...

Badbird2000

Question

Hello all. Not sure if the answer is right in front of me (probably is). I have a 2012 Silverado, every day driver, 142,000 miles. I keep it as clean as I can with fabulous Adam's products. I have some light swirls and a few blotches here and there I would like to correct. I have tried swirl and haze remover by hand, but I don't have Popeye forearms. What would be the best machine to get and what products to get the best result? Years ago, I had a friend who painted cars, and he showed me how to buff and wet sand. I have SOME experience, probably enough to be dangerous. Sorry if the answer is right in front of me...

Wayne

9 answers to this question

Hi Wayne, I just read a good article on which polisher to choose. I, myself, am also saving up and doing research to buy a polisher. Let me find the write up, and I will link it here.

Edit: I found one of the links. Now in this post they are talking about Rupes polishers, but if you look at Adam's list of swirl killers (polishers), they have the same sizes: 21mm, 15mm, and 12mm. Not only do they have the same sizes, but I have read that Adam's machines are quality. I will send anything else that I may find useful. But so far, from my research, I've decided that I will be saving up for Adam's Swirl Killer 15mm (or hopefully, a modestly prices Swirl Killer Mystery Box!!!). It just seems to be versatile and most fit my needs.

Here's another good write up for you:

Edited by Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin
Update with links

31 minutes ago, Badbird2000 said:

Thanks guys. After much reading I agree..now, to squirrel away some side money to purchase.

FWW, the next Swirl Killer MB is probably in Nov timeframe, if you can wait that long.

21 hours ago, Badbird2000 said:

Hello all. Not sure if the answer is right in front of me (probably is). I have a 2012 Silverado, every day driver, 142,000 miles. I keep it as clean as I can with fabulous Adam's products. I have some light swirls and a few blotches here and there I would like to correct. I have tried swirl and haze remover by hand, but I don't have Popeye forearms. What would be the best machine to get and what products to get the best result? Years ago, I had a friend who painted cars, and he showed me how to buff and wet sand. I have SOME experience, probably enough to be dangerous. Sorry if the answer is right in front of me...

Wayne

It depends on your budget.  The Swirl Killers are very smooth machines, but you can get the same results with the Porter Cable that Adam's sells.  It will take a little longer, and the machine runs rougher (it was not designed to be a polisher).  But it is also cheaper, and with different backing plates, can run the same pads that the SK does.

I have a Porter Cable DA polisher, it does the job but, it's not ergonomic and it runs pretty rough.. I've done a full correction my Silverado with it and I was pretty worn out from two things: 1) The body of the polished is huge and there is really not a ergonomic place to grab it by the head of the machine so my hands & forearms were sore from using it and 2) The machine is not smooth so the rough vibrations wore me out too... I have a Swirlkiller on my shopping list.

When I bought the PC the SwirlKiller wasn't on the market and the next choices up we're much more expensive, if buying now I would get the SK hands down no questions asked over the PC...

1 hour ago, imcrazy said:

W/ that said, if you buy the PC to get started you can always re-purpose it, I plan on buying a SK and I will then use the PC for smaller areas with a 4" backing plate & pad...

Exactly what I did. I recently got the SK Mini, so now have the PC for a backup/just in case.