Customer Service 866.965.0400

29 Years Old and ready for rehab

RayS

Question

My son-in-law picked up a 1990 Nissan 300ZX and while he does the mechanical side, I'll be taking care of the exterior and interior.  Before anyone asks, I already told him that it is the wrong color, but with the deal he got on it, I can't blame him for the minor defect.  Overall, the car is in pretty good condition, although it does need a new engine which the son-in-law already has and will be ready to drop in soon. 

The interior is in good shape and just needs a thorough cleaning and rehab on the leather.  Surprisingly the leather is not cracked, but is dry so I expect it to take multiple coats of Adam's Leather Conditioner.  The dash is also in good shape which should come back to life nicely with Leather Conditioner.   Everything else on the inside just needs a good cleaning.

The exterior is also in good shape, it has been garage kept or covered which really helped, but I'm not sure when or if it ever saw a real wash and correction.  I know my way around Red vehicles and can do fine on Black and Blue and a few other other colored vehicles, but this will be my first White car - Ever.  I know I've lead a privileged life with limited exposure to non-red vehicles, but I'm not too old to learn something new or try something different.  However, I am going to be looking for some guidance and Chris I'm talking to you and anyone else that can provide input on a white vehicle.  My gut tells me to get it corrected and then go over it with Ceramic Paste Wax and she'll look fantastic, but I need input from others.  Any gotcha's or things to look for on a white vehicle when doing a decontamination and correction would be appreciated. 

As for the wheels, I really think they need to be coated.  We are pretty sure they are not original, although we have found lots of 5 spoke wheels for the 1990 and 1991 300ZX that look similar.  The are in great shape, no pitting or marks so it is a matter or cleaning and coating. 

As always, I appreciate and welcome the feedback and recommendations from the Adam's Forum members.

IMG_0359.JPG

Edited by RayS

6 answers to this question

She's gonna look great! Biggest thing with white I've found is the ease - read: double edged sword - with finding and correcting swirls. Since you can't see them easily, even with a light, you can't fix what you don't see. But they're not as noticeable if missed. 

I LOVE PS and HGG for white, though. Really gives nice shine. I applied the Ceramic Paste Wax in the fall and it worked well, too. Just not sure if I like the shine it gives more than the PS/HGG combo. My next detail session...a full one...will probably include the Ceramic Spray. I want to witness longevity, etc, on a daily in person. Already know how easy it is to apply, and Ceramic Waterless is incredible.

Be happy to weigh in more, just say the word. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

It is amazing how quickly time passes especially with the last 2 years being a blur most of us would like to forget about.  During this time the kids moved to a new house and the car spent almost a year sitting under a cover at my place. 

Over the summer we got it moved to the kids new house and work has slowly been progressing with getting the engine out and rebuilt, the entire interior was removed for updating and a color swap and removal of the 300zx instrument cluster.  The wiring harness has been partially replaced and upgraded along with the suspension and brakes.  Interesting point, to upgrade the rotors and calipers, you have to use parts for a Mustang GT.

The engine went back in a few weeks ago and the wheels came in this week and were installed.  The interior is getting close to being done, just waiting on the new seats to arrive.  There is still a plenty of work left to do on it and then it will go for paint and the son-in-law is saying it will be Magma Red.   

Parts have been a challenge since the son-in-law is doing it as a Nismo conversion, so there are various body parts that have been and will be replaced in additional to the mechanical side.

Here's a current picture that shows the wheels and engine and the color match being done.

IMG_1131.jpg