Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ceramic Spray on Convertible Top

DaleH

Question

Posted on Instagram is a video showing a convertible top that has had Ceramic Spray applied. In the very limited discussion it appears that the application involves just spraying it on and using 7-8 ounces for what looks like a regular sized top. One response said that they had tried it on a customers vehicle but didn't get the same result. (My guess is that they didn't connect the 7-8 oz info from the AdamsUnderground post but I could be wrong...)

Any thoughts on what prep should look like before application?

20 answers to this question

2 hours ago, DaleH said:

Posted on Instagram is a video showing a convertible top that has had Ceramic Spray applied. In the very limited discussion it appears that the application involves just spraying it on and using 7-8 ounces for what looks like a regular sized top. One response said that they had tried it on a customers vehicle but didn't get the same result. (My guess is that they didn't connect the 7-8 oz info from the AdamsUnderground post but I could be wrong...)

Any thoughts on what prep should look like before application?

Just make sure it's clean and dry. I responded to that guy's "customer car" post (different username on IG) and turns out he didn't prep it at all or really follow the correct application process - not uncommon for the doubters out there.

Applying to the soft top or plastic trim is just spray and leave. The amount will vary. Adam's Underground didn't make that video, though, the Shine Stop did...what post do you mean?

7 hours ago, MasterBlasterII said:

I am going to try this this weekend.

any advice for prepping the top before I spray and just leave it?

Thanks in advance!

Not sure.  If you've used Ragg Topp or something similar on your top, I'm not sure what the outcome will be by adding CS on top of that. Chemical reaction would be something I'd worry about.  I would make sure it is totally clean, dry, and lint free, and use it in a garage with the doors open.  You don't want wind blowing pollen on it.  Good luck. And let us know the results. 

15 hours ago, MasterBlasterII said:

Thanks in advance!

Like Rich, I'm not sure either. But I'll ask the guys at the Shine Stop today (heading up to the HQ) and let you know. Standby...

On 5/23/2019 at 2:22 PM, MasterBlasterII said:

Thanks in advance!

13 hours ago, falcaineer said:

Like Rich, I'm not sure either. But I'll ask the guys at the Shine Stop today (heading up to the HQ) and let you know. Standby...

Direct from the Shine Stop, the top needs to be completely clean and dry first. You can use a dedicated cleaner like Rag Top (follow their instructions), or after spraying down, from Adam's use CUC or APC with the cockpit brush to agitate. Then rinse and allow to dry completely. Finally, spray the CSC and reap the benefits! Hope that helps. 

Good luck, and post some pics of your results. Before/afters work great 😉.

12 minutes ago, MasterBlasterII said:

You rock Falcon!

I have the Adams CSC and I also got another spray bottle of it in my mystery bucket that came yesterday.

I'm itching to use it 🙂

Thank you again for obtaining and sharing the info.

I’ll make sure to share some before and after pics. 

Happy to help! Just in case, the CUC is Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner. Just wanted to make sure to clarify the difference in cleaning it vs. using the CSC!

i used the Adam’s Ceramic Spray Coating on my 2000 Porsche Boxster today. I followed the steps Falcaineer gave me along with the advice he got from the Shine Stop.

I ended up putting 2 coats on the top after using an APC with a brush to clean the top before I coated.

Here is the video of my before and after.

Thanks Falcaineer!

Thanks Greg, 

After as much time as I spent cleaning and getting the Mustang top back to black, this may be the way to keep it looking for a while.   It will be fall before so it gets a another major detail, so please let us know how this holds up over time.

👀👀 That is sooooo cool, Greg! I'm really happy it turned out well. Curious, how much did you use?

And a special thanks for the hat tip...not expected, but much appreciated. 👍🏼 I'm famous 😆.

Oh, and I'll let the Shine Stop team know about the video...

36 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

👀👀 That is sooooo cool, Greg! I'm really happy it turned out well. Curious, how much did you use?

And a special thanks for the hat tip...not expected, but much appreciated. 👍🏼 I'm famous 😆.

Oh, and I'll let the Shine Stop team know about the video...

"Soooo cool" I thought so too.

Its a really small top and I used the 4oz CSC that came in my mystery bucket. I didn’t touch the 12oz I already had.

like I said, I used it generously.

Go big or go home. Right  🙂

3 hours ago, MasterBlasterII said:

i used the Adam’s Ceramic Spray Coating on my 2000 Porsche Boxster today. I followed the steps Falcaineer gave me along with the advice he got from the Shine Stop.

I ended up putting 2 coats on the top after using an APC with a brush to clean the top before I coated.

Here is the video of my before and after.

Thanks Falcaineer!

This was so cool!

so did you spread the coating with anything? Like did you use a towel to spread it on the convertible top? Or just spray on two coats?

4 minutes ago, Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin said:

This was so cool!

so did you spread the coating with anything? Like did you use a towel to spread it on the convertible top? Or just spray on two coats?

I just sprayed it and left it in the 91 degree sun. 3 hours later I sprayed another coat. I never touched it, spread it, wiped it, nothing.

In fact I still haven’t touched it. Ran the water over it like you see in the video but never touched it with anything.

I believe this is one of the steps you must follow to have success with the top.

let me know if you have any other questions.

G

One thing, if your top was absorbing water like it was in the beginning of the video, then it was never treated with anything, or hasn't been in a very long time and was due.  Since the idea of using the Ceramic Spray is something new, I've always used RaggTopp until now and got the same results as the after shots, great water beading.  So I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that we haven't really heard from anyone whose top was previously protected and if it made any difference, good or bad, using the CS on top of it.  And with the RaggTopp, I only have to apply it once every three years or so.  I'm wondering how often you'll have to apply the CS, and how long it lasts.  

I'm going to be watching this thread closely.  

Just applied CSC to my 2017 Fiat 124 Spider soft top. Started by washing it with 303 Soft Top cleaner, thorough rinse, then left to dry. I used a lint roller to remove the remaining lint and contaminants and then sprayed CSC on directly. I coated it thoroughly, but there's no way I used 7 to 8 oz - although in fairness, its a small car. Left it to cure overnight. 

Results are pretty good and unlike dedicated soft top treatment, it was really easy to apply - I just made sure the windows and surrounding bodywork was clean beforehand and buffed out any over-spray. With dedicated soft-top treatments, removing over-spray is a nightmare - to the point that masking and covering everything that isn't being treated is essentially required.

We'll see how long it lasts, but so far I'm pretty pleased.